District 9 (2009)

Since when a Sci-Fi movie need to be Sci-Fi only? You can have drama plot in a Sci-Fi environment you know... I don't get your point here.

I am just astonished Jedi

After everything you said to defend Avatar, then you come and say the same things about this movie that you had to defend against.

This is imo a very poor post by you, I mean you are trying to alter the definition of Sci-fi and reshape it to exclude nearly everything but avatar.

I am speechless

Why? We are talking about Jedi, he will say anything and do anything to defend his current obsession ;)

Absolutely loved District 9. I could not care less if it wasn't a 'Pure Sci-Fi'. That's probably what makes it better than most of the generic tat you get nowadays like Star Trek. and Stargate (Or something else with 'Star' in it).

Absolutely loved District 9. I could not care less if it wasn't a 'Pure Sci-Fi'. That's probably what makes it better than most of the generic tat you get nowadays like Star Trek. and Stargate (Or something else with 'Star' in it).

Totally agree. (Y)

I enjoyed it for what it was and for the very clear subtext that went with it. I certainly wasn't a perfect film by the measures we put on them today, but I think it did a good job. I'd like to see them revisit the plight of the "crickets" at some point and see what they make of their future.

The subject of first contact with an intelligent species doesn't always touch on base human nature and what we could do if we had the upper hand, we're usually the underdog. I think it's rather telling that this made it to a theatrical release.

For me it was a 7 out of 10.

• 3 weeks later...

Hands down, D9 over Avatar anyday.

They were two completely different films so it's hard for me to judge. I liked both in different ways. D9 was a much more gritty film but I did love the special effects in Avatar.

Man, i thoroughly enjoyed the movie! For once it wasn't some alien race blowing up the all 'mighty' USA....

Granted, some of the special effects weren't as good as some hollywood 'blockbusters' which, in my opinion are way too predictable.. with way too much stars and stripes and american anthem, and the all american hero with chiseled features, and the hot chick... see where i am going with this????

If you have ever lived in South Africa, you would actually appreciate the accents, and the way of life. overall it was just great fun, and something different from the norm. Some of the comments above definitely made me laugh, and put a big grin on my face.

I don't know... mebbe its just me????

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Just watched the film and I really enjoyed it, the film definitely changes the tone drastically with its

iron man-ish :p

ending but it was certainly awesome. The only thing that bothered me is the accent of the main character :p English is not my native language so I couldn't really understand what he is saying at times. Also his constant "fook" was hilarious, the profanity was funny and didn't make the scenes more intense or realistic. but that's only me of course :p

The CGI was beyond amazing, usually the CGI for some films will be hidden in the darkness so the flaws won't be apparent but the prawns in this film were great even in the bright light. The interaction with humans was also very seamless. The

humans exploding effect

was sub par though; it took away from the realism and looked like these "after effects" youtube tutorials.

Overall, really engaging film with plenty of cool action sequences and creative direction, a must watch, even for non Sci-Fi fans.