What do you absolutely hate about beloved Windows 7?

Luckily all the things I don't like about it are things you can change, excluding the WMP thing.

I tried to get used to it but it didn't work out, the big ass default theme style of the taskbar

and the whole pinning stuff to the taskbar, and now Live Messenger docks to the taskbar

and how you can't dock WMP to the taskbar like you could previous.... granted the last

two aren't really Windows 7 things and more changes to those applications to behave

like this in Windows 7.

I pretty much changed mine back to the Vista style, which I liked.

Luckily all the things I don't like about it are things you can change, excluding the WMP thing.

I tried to get used to it but it didn't work out, the big ass default theme style of the taskbar

and the whole pinning stuff to the taskbar, and now Live Messenger docks to the taskbar

and how you can't dock WMP to the taskbar like you could previous.... granted the last

two aren't really Windows 7 things and more changes to those applications to behave

like this in Windows 7.

I pretty much changed mine back to the Vista style, which I liked.

Problem with new super bar is that none of the apps supports it which i was afraid of. I don't think Developers care about new Super Bar. It's really cool but useless right now.

It's frustrating. The only way around it is by putting Windows into test mode (bcdedit /set testsigning on) and signing the driver files with a self-signed certificate (or forking out the $$$$ for a certificate, not very hobbyist friendly). Better than nothing, I suppose.

There's a much easier way:

http://www.citadelindustries.net/readydriverplus/

I use it for the XBCD driver

There's a much easier way:

http://www.citadelindustries.net/readydriverplus/

I use it for the XBCD driver

I HATE the required signed driver requirement. I tried ReadyDriverPlus once on Vista 64 Ultimate and couldn't get it to work. With more tweaking it may have but I gave up.

This proprietary crapola is why I left Apple in 1983 and I'm glad I did. Oh well, I'm sure there is a reason other than making money ... hmmmm? Not that making money is a bad thing.

Nothing I have tried on my notebook will override the signed driver requirement.

This proprietary crapola is why I left Apple in 1983 and I'm glad I did. Oh well, I'm sure there is a reason other than making money ... hmmmm? Not that making money is a bad thing.

I'm sure the reason is to prevent shoddy drivers rendering a system unstable? I think from MS' point of view, they would rather anger a tiny minority like you (sorry :p) that require custom drivers, and have >99% of people maintain a stable system. This will help Windows' reputation as a stable OS (at least in part).

Or have I got it all wrong? That's what it seems like to me.

:angry: I hate the fact that not once has M$ included NZ in any windows 7 pre-sales or the upcomming launch party give away and the fact that we always get screwed on price.!! Other than that i dont have a gripe about the OS itself runs bloody well

I absolutely hate that you can't simply disable the taskbar thumbnails! I hate them. I want a simple list like there is in Vista and XP.

Yes, it can be done in pre-RTM versions via gpedit.msc.. etc. But the fact that it says "Windows Vista only" in Windows 7 seems pretty useless and stupid to me!

I can't really think of anything other than I don't like the new Control Panel layout, but that's pretty minor.

There are few thing that irritate me, but all in all I am liking it the more I use it, but I felt the same way about Vista, but the new control panel drives me insane! And I am not too fond of the whole "Library" idea either.

And I am not too fond of the whole "Library" idea either.

Oh, yes, I forgot about that. I'm not liking the Libraries thing either. I customized Windows Explorer to open up My Computer as it did in Vista, XP, etc.

the bugged start menu where when you click start the all programs and show nonne of your installed programs im using the rc 64 bit and yes I have heard its fixed in RTM but why cant they realese a update for people still using the RC becse i now some people will proble keep using for a least a few month even after windows 7 come out just to make sure the the big bugs are fixed

I dont like the homegroup thing at all they need to remove it

I wish the Library had each section associated with filetypes and not by "add folder and all files would be added to the library".

You should be able to:

add a folder to a library

all files with the specific filetype be added to that library and ONLY those files.

I have folders with mp3s, movies, etc and as the Library folders work right now, they are completely useless.

the bugged start menu where when you click start the all programs and show nonne of your installed programs im using the rc 64 bit and yes I have heard its fixed in RTM but why cant they realese a update for people still using the RC becse i now some people will proble keep using for a least a few month even after windows 7 come out just to make sure the the big bugs are fixed

I cannot understand the logic in using a pre-release operating system with known bugs just in case the final version ? which has received considerably more testing ? is free from "big bugs". And expecting Microsoft to offer full support for a release candidate is absurd, especially when they issue has been addressed in the final version.

My biggest peeve is that when you have multiple windows open you can no longer click on the taskbar icon to minimise / restore the application. I also often find it more time consuming to navigate between windows. However, multitasking is generally improved and I tend to keep a lot more applications open without feeling like it's cluttered (or without the system feeling less responsive). I love Win7 but some of the design decisions are a sideways step and create as many problems as they solve.

Can't double-click a video file in explorer if WMP12 is already playing a video file...WMP12 continues to play the ALREADY playing file...I thought it could be just queuing it up to play after the current file's played through...but I can't see anything in the settings that confirms my thinking...

Oh and you CAN double-click the FIRST video file and it will start to play...:)

That's not how it should be working, and not how it works for me. You can turn on viewing the playlist in WMP's Now Playing view to see what's going on with the playlist. If WMP and Explorer are operating at different privilege levels, that might be blocking the interprocess communication necessary to tell WMP to play the file... ? You might want to start a new thread on this, because that's not how it works. :)
Windows Media Player freezing for about 3 minutes when you first start it up. (RC this is)
Get RTM. Sounds like you have a library bug that should be fixed for RTM.
Only thing I don't like is minimizing WMP12 to the taskbar, it doesn't stay on top of other apps like in Vista. I used to love having video clips or movies playing minimized while waiting for my WoW guild to pull the next big boss for example.
Do you mean how you can hover over the old deskband player to have the video pop up... ? You could do the same thing with a skin or check the "Keep Now Playing on top of other windows" option.
I wish WMP12 would stay maximized each time I open and close it.

Whenever I open something, it starts in a tiny window, so it's a little annoying.

Maybe it's something I'm overlooking though.

It opens in Now Playing mode because you clicked on content. If you simply start WMP via shortcut, it opens in Library mode.
Random errors with random software are quite annoying and all appeared with RTM for me. Tried reinstalling thousands of times, both x86 and x64 have the same problems (like Messenger crashing on launch 90% of the time, audio stuttering, ..)
You should start up a new thread on that and put the crash details there.
What about the removed features like Dreamscene, why not make it a standard feature in all version of windows 7?
You would have to take people working on other features to revamp it to be Win7 readiness.
i miss vlite for 7
Turn Windows Features On or Off now has a lot more options for pulling components.
7) I think it was vobris or MTS, I don't remember now. As you can see MKV files require 3rd party addons.
MTS is supported out of box. :D

- No color options for non-aero (if it had a darker/better looking version I'd use non aero on my netbook to save power).

- Quicktime problems in firefox with Win7 64 (probably any 64bit os but whatever) - the control bar at the bottom shows up completely black.. you can click where it WOULD be to skip around and such, but you're clicking blind.

Basically, that's it for me.

you still can't scroll windows that are in the background. Say you have two windows open that are side to side (using windows snap). One is a browser and another is word. You are writing information on word based on information in the browser but you need to scroll down in the browser. In OSX and *Unix you can just move the mouse towards the window and using the scroll wheel you can scroll through that window without actually selecting it, where as in windows you have to select the browser before you can scroll and then you have to go back to word to type in the information. It's just so inefficient. This is my biggest gripe with windows and it just seems like it could be a simple thing to implement.

WizMouse....nice little addin to any windows for that annoying mouse issue...

http://antibody-software.com/web/software/...nder-the-mouse/

you still can't scroll windows that are in the background. Say you have two windows open that are side to side (using windows snap). One is a browser and another is word. You are writing information on word based on information in the browser but you need to scroll down in the browser. In OSX and *Unix you can just move the mouse towards the window and using the scroll wheel you can scroll through that window without actually selecting it, where as in windows you have to select the browser before you can scroll and then you have to go back to word to type in the information. It's just so inefficient. This is my biggest gripe with windows and it just seems like it could be a simple thing to implement.

es2694.jpg

Another one , Why the heck cant all 3 power profiles be displayed :angry:

I agree. Also why there is no power taskbar tray icon for desktop computers only for laptops!!!!

I agree. It's really pain in butt.

I think thumbnails on taskbar are useless and pretty annoying, they just make things look clutter. I don't find it efficient since alt tab is way better way.

I don't like that even now under x64 Windows we cannot deactivate the requirement for signed drivers. I understand the risks and as a user I should be able to make the choice to allow unsigned drivers to be run. This is an annoying problem when you are trying to use software that requires a 64-bit driver but they don't have the money (For example Free or Open Source software) to get the required signing for their driver from Microsoft.

Just allow us to deactivate it without needing to hack the operating system to pieces. And I'm aware that you can deactivate signing for a single session at boot up by pressing F8 but this is not really an optimum solution and adds to the complexity of using Windows.