[TGS] Gran Turismo 5: March 2010 in Japan

gt5-tgs-09.jpg

Gran Turismo 5?s release window has just been set to March 2010 for Japan, according to Kazunori Yamauchi at the TGS press conference. This, unfortunately, runs directly counter to everything that we?ve heard so far from a wide variety of sources for nearly an entire yeaNovember 30, 2008 ? Sony executive in Europe mentions GT5 will ?arrive at Christmas? during an interview with a financial mJune 4, 2009, 2009 ? Kazunori Yamauchi states: ?We can release Gran Turismo 5 whenever we want.? duringAugust 2, 2009gust 2, 2009 ? GTPlanet acquires internal company documents which clearly outline the date that Sony expects to release the game (and it was weAugust 22, 2009ugust 22, 2009 ? Kazunori Yamauchi states that ?GT5 will be released shortly after this date [October 1st]??August 23, 2009

August 23, 2009 ? Printed material distributed by Sony at the GamesCom 2009 conference clearly indicate the game will be released during the fourth quarter of 2009.

Needless to say, everyone ? including myself ? are pretty surprised by the most recent turn of events. Was there a problem during the game?s development? Did criticisms of the damage engine shown off at GamesCom send Polyphony Digital back to the drawing board? We may never know for sure.

Source: [url=http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-5-march-2010-in-japan/]http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-5-march-2010-in-japan/[/:pl]

Well done Boz :p

Looks like it may have been 2009 though until criticism from Gamescom. What we know,

GT5 Features:

Kazunori says it's to achieve a sCars: Over 950lity.

1Over 20 locations and 70 tracksr 20 locations and 70 tracks.

1:40 Physics: new physics, damage, movable objects on the track, and the newest hybrid and electric cars.

1:40 Hippie.

1:41 Arcade Mode: Single Player, split-screen two player

1:41 GT Mode: World Map, My Garage, Car Dealer, Tuning Shop, Championship Race, and License Test.

1:42 Online: Open Lobby, Text/Voice Chat, Private Room, Online Photo Album, Online Replay Album, and you can export replays to YouTube.

1:42 YouTube!

1:42 Photo Mode: Photo Drive, Photo Stage

1:43 GT TV: Improved UI, export of videos to PSP, and progressive downloading.

That is impressive!

More later

9:44: This is all they're announcing about GT5's feature set now. There will be more features announced in the feature.

Someone already thinks damage on non-racing cars being worked on

gt5damage3.png

gt5damage2.png

No dent in other side

gt5damage1.png

this was supposed to be a ps3 launch game haha

No it wasn't, 2008 was first release date given.

GT has never been a launch title.

I agree that it's probably the criticism they received at Gamescom that caused the considerable delay, considering they were ripped to shreds over how they planned to implement damage! Still, this isn't a concrete release date either so it still can slip (forward or back depending on how long it takes for them to "fix" things). Plus, since this is the planned Japanese launch window you'll need to add a few extra months on top of that for translation for the NA and Europe releases as well (more for Europe as European titles generally support more languages then the JP/NA releases) so it may not realistically release till mid to late 2010....of cause this is all just a guess, so take with a grain of salt!

What a joke! You have to laugh honestly.

I knew 100% that the game would no drop in 2009 even with advertisments stating exactly that. Maybe it won't even drop in 2010.

It should be a launch title for PS4 at this rate.

Well if the release was the rumoured December, it's only a 3 months difference.

Either way this is actually the first time PD have given a proper release date, (month and date). Believe it or not until now it's just been a year. I'm waiting to see what they say about Europe/USA, they said they planned a worldwide release.

The features list so far impressed me enough, it's going to blow every other game away on amount of content. Youtube uploading will be awesome for the replay mode.

I'm disappointed, but if the game comes away better I can hold off a few more months, especially if it is putting damage on all cars. What I hate PD most for though is all the whining we're now going to have to see in every GT thread about how it's the end of the world and the game will never launch :p

ps. Everyone missed this, was posted before even the first keynote - http://kotaku.com/5366437/gran-turismo-5-i...-is-nearly-done

Not wanting to be fussy g~man, but its grandma. :whistle:

And I'm actually pleased its going to be released next year, because I'd be skint if I picked up all these games come Christmas. Looks like its only going to Uncharted 2 and Modern Warfare 2 for me for the rest of this year. (And maybe FIFA or Assasins Creed 2)

Edited by RPatel

SLR spoiler moves around 0.55, so hopefully bringing damage modelling to all cars...

i'm pretty sure that's just the spoiler raising to act as an air brake, which is something that the McLaren SLR do...

and 2010 is not good, despite the spin of more/better features blah blah blah. they intimated 2009 and that's what i was geared up for, so i'm bitterly disappointed in them. i've been waiting for this game for too long already.

i'm pretty sure that's just the spoiler raising to act as an air brake, which is something that the McLaren SLR do...

and 2010 is not good, despite the spin of more/better features blah blah blah. they intimated 2009 and that's what i was geared up for, so i'm bitterly disappointed in them. i've been waiting for this game for too long already.

Yeah that is exactly what it is, just the SLR's air brake. I doubt they'll add damage to non-race races this late, not to mention not all the cars can be damaged (as some manufacturers have refused, so I've heard) which could be the real reason why all non-race cars have no damage (as it would destroy the experience if you had races where some cars are destructible while others are not...imagine the cheating!!) still I could be wrong, this is just my opinion!

GT5 will be worth the wait, despite the nay sayers claiming the GT franchise's doom. Despite the moaning, GT5 has never been actually "delayed" (for it to be delayed it must first have a set release date) sure Sony/Polyphony have throw around years and months but most of it rumors, "ball park" numbers and wishful thinking of fans. I'd rather Polyphony take their time and make GT5 as good as it can be, if they released it now (after the grilling session at Gamescom) people would probably be moaning it's not finished or that it was released too soon...anyway, with Forza 3 almost at our doorsteps it'll keep me occupied till GT5 finally arrives (I think it's better that way, means they both don't have to compete for my attention as I plan to buy both!!) Take with a grain of salt.

Edited by Xerxes

I always assumed it would come out in 2010 and this confirms it (Y) It is a shame though but looks like Forza 3 will steal the thunder this Christmas.

Just hope they don't delay anymore for the hardcore fans of GT.

What were they talking about when they said something like it was ready and that they could ship it now?

Exactly and "Will release sooner than expected" .... well most people were expecting December, so clearly it's not sooner :(

I'm thinking it has something to do with Gamescon too given the critism it came under. Good to see that they are maybe willing to accept that and do something about it before release.

Yeah that is exactly what it is, just the SLR's air brake. I doubt they'll add damage to non-race races this late, not to mention not all the cars can be damaged (as some manufacturers have refused, so I've heard) which could be the real reason why all non-race cars have no damage (as it would destroy the experiencing if you had races where some cars are destructible while others are not...imagine the cheating!!) still I could be wrong, this is just my opinion!

GT5 will be worth the wait, despite the nay saying claiming the GT franchise's doom. Despite the moaning, GT5 has never been actually "delayed" (for it to be delayed it must first have a set release date) sure Sony/Polyphony have throw around years and months but most of it rumors, "ball park" numbers and wishful thinking of fans. I'd rather Polyphony take their time and make GT5 as good as it can be, if they released it now (after the grilling season at Gamescom) people would probably be moaning it's not finished or that it was released too soon...anyway, with Forza 3 almost at our doorsteps it can tides us over till GT5 finally arrives (I think it's better that way, means they both don't have to compete for my attention as I plan to buy both!!) Take with a grain of salt.

It's disappointing we're going to have to wait another 3 months from the date we were led to believe from a fair few sources, I'm pretty damn bummed and frustrated, seriously :( Boz was sure right, but to be fair on most of us Sony put out that Q4 2009 flier, and multiple sources said December. I truly have a feeling they were shooting for Dec09, but whatever is left to do just can't be done in time, whether it's improving on criticisms or just plain finishing stuff. I think the damage modelling is what will be under scrutiny for the foreseeable months left in development.

Still as you said this is actually the first official release date.

For all the whining about the 3 months that's going to happen now, Forza 3 and GT5 were never on a similar development time scale... I've compared Forza 2/3 combined against GT5 on tangible details we have from both.

Cars (at launch)

Forza 2 - 300~350

Forza 3 - 400~450

Total - 700~800 (won't be 700~800 unique, cars that are in Forza 2 will have carried into 3.).

GT5 - 950~1000

Total - 950~1000

Unique Tracks from separate Locations (at launch)

Forza 2 - 14

Forza 3 - 19 from 7 locations

Total - 34

GT5 - 70 from 20 locations

Total - 70

Overall Track Layouts (Mirrored/From same track location) (at launch)

Forza 2 - 47

Forza 3 - Over 100

Total - 147~

GT - Unknown

Total -

Racing Styles

Forza 2/3 - Road/Street racing

GT5 - Road/Street racing, NASCAR, World Rally Championship

Technically

Forza 2 - 720p/60FPS/8 cars on track

Forza 3 - 720p/60FPS/8 cars on track/Unsure about split-screen

GT5 - 1080p/60FPS/16 cars on track/split-screen two player

Purpose here isn't to discredit Forza 3, but many people attack PD as if the games are on a level development scale, and PD are somehow being lazy or wasting our time. GT5 even has more cars than Forza 2 and 3 combined, whether or not that's overkill for you it still affects the development time scale.

In terms of actual content GT5 was always going to have the longer development time cycle, you don't model 450 cars then click a magic button which doubles it to 950+. Interior and exterior in all those cars needs modelled the same way it is for every other car. Same goes for unique tracks, yeah once you've modelled a track it's probably easy to "click a button" and put it in reverse mode or slightly modify the layout.

You're probably only going to see one GT on the PS3, with DLC, that will most likely be sufficient in terms of iterations, it seems they're trying to chuck everything in to future proof the engine as much as possible and expand with DLC. With the split screen, and what seems like robust online components, combined with the solid technical engine, all we'll really need will be car/track DLC.

Multiplatform owners have Forza 3 to enjoy for the next 6 months :) Demo in the next few hours as well, but knowing my luck it'll be Gold only for a week :(

And for anyone about to get angry at me, I acknowledge development time scale doesn't = any proof of game play quality, something with less, can easily be better. However I'd just like to point out why we're most likely waiting as long as we are. I demand to know an EU/US release asap, I heard the PSBlog is doing an interview with Kaz today, I expect that to be asked.