[TGS] Gran Turismo 5: March 2010 in Japan

Okay is this true that GT5 is only 65% complete? WTF Why the hell were they saying rubbish like saying its ready to release now. I'm starting to think it won't even come out in March now.

God of War III only says 60% and it's coming in March.

Heavy Rain 50% and it's due Q1 2010.

Okamiden: 25%

Lost Planet 2: 70%

Valkyria Chronicles 2: 70%

Yakuza 4: 65%

The Last Guardian: ?

Crackdown 2: ?

Alan Wake: ?

Halo Reach: ?

Final Fantasy XIV: 50%

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker: 50%

God of War III: 60%

Heavy Rain: 50%

Good explanation

These numbers are misleading, because one would like to assume that percentage is linked to time, when it is really linked to things getting done. As such, if I game is going to be huge, a large proportion of time will need to be set aside for QA and bug testing, and thus it would be more appropriate for the percentage to reflect that. The game could be technically "done" content-wise but that definitely doesn't mean it's worth shipping.

Or for another example, if a game's development is paused at 30% without the public knowing, should it increase to 50% automatically if 2 years passes? Most people would say no, right? And that's why percents are fairly useless.

If you want a good idea about how far along a game is, ask them whether the QA team is busting their asses like no other. While most developers try to squash bugs as the game is being developed, a separate team is brought in to give it a major once over near the end.

Feature complete/ready to ship are different stages.

One would gather GT5 is pretty much feature complete, hence the release any time comment, however the level of polish necessary to ship isn't deemed there, most likely to do with model damage getting flak at Gamescom.

The last 10% of a game's development probably takes as long as the first 90%, so yeah percentages are really silly but unfortunately everyone wants simple (read: misleading) measures of completeness.

hmm if the JP version has no region locking i might just get that one.

Bad idea unless

a) You have a visa card to buy DLC in yen off JPN store

b) Are willing to double dip for EU/USA release if it's coming later than March

c) Are willing to put up with all Japanese, don't think Japanese GT has ever had English subs

This game will definitely have DLC.

Store content is never region free, just the games.

I'd just hold off a bit longer to hear what the EU/USA release window is, no point in jumping to conclusions when we have months before the Japanese one anyway.

You deserve them.

I lawled at the news. 5 years+ for one game :laugh:

5 years+ for GT5 and GT PSP, same studio handled both and they were in development at the same time. PSP development timescales are probably only around a year or so though, where as console games are typically around 2 years +.

Still a long development time, but as I pointed out on the last page the amount of content in GT5 as a single entity is unrivalled.

Alan Wake was announced in 2005 though?

Gran Turismo 5 was announced at E3 2006, called 'Vision Gran Turismo' back then. GT HD then came at Christmas 2006 I think, GT5 Prologue 2007, GT5 at this point was suppose to be 2008, then that changed to Q4 2009, now March 2010.

Alan Wake has been on the go publicly for longer than GT5 :p

5 years+ for GT5 and GT PSP, same studio handled both and they were in development at the same time. PSP development timescales are probably only around a year or so though, where as console games are typically around 2 years +.

Still a long development time, but as I pointed out on the last page the amount of content in GT5 as a single entity is unrivalled.

Gran Turismo 5 was announced at E3 2006, called 'Vision Gran Turismo' back then. GT HD then came at Christmas 2006 I think, GT5 Prologue 2007, GT5 at this point was suppose to be 2008, then that changed to Q4 2009, now March 2010.

In an April 2008 interview, game creator Kazunori Yamauchi revealed that 150 people had worked on Gran Turismo 5 for four years, with all of Polyphony Digital's 120 employees working on GT5, and the game costing 50 times more to develop than 1997's Gran Turismo.[4]

So they started work in 2004. I don't know when Alan Wake started but it doesnt matter, totally off-topic.

Why do I get the feeling that Sony isn't happy they've taken this long. Could this be the last in the series?

Gran Turismo 5 was announced at E3 2006, called 'Vision Gran Turismo' back then.

But why couldn't they just focus on the game instead of the car count. We could have had this game one or two years ago, getting the remaining cars through free periodic DLC. Something is wrong over at PD

@AB, Maybe to you it's unrivalled, not for me it's not.

So what other racing game has 950+ cars and 70 tracks?

But why couldn't they just focus on the game instead of the car count. We could have had this game one or two years ago, getting the remaining cars through free periodic DLC. Something is wrong over at PD

Why not create a game with such an impressive car inventory? It is a racing sim, they've brought in NASCAR and WRC, it's not just 950 street/supercars.

None of us are going any where, yeah it means more waiting, but the end product will have a much longer life rather than require an iteration in a few years.

So what other racing game has 950+ cars and 70 tracks?

Why not create a game with such an impressive car inventory?

None of us are going any where, yeah it means more waiting, but the end product will have a much longer life rather than require an iteration in a few years.

It is about quality not quantity imo. Besides, I doubt all 950+ cars are even playable. Also don't forget, many will just be similar with slight tweaks. At least thats how it was in GT4.

AB, you sure do like to post then make edits pretty much everytime? Why not type it all at once, makes it a lot easier.

It is about quality not quantity imo. Besides, I doubt all 950+ cars are even playable. Also don't forget, many will just be similar with slight tweaks. At least thats how it was in GT4.

AB, you sure do like to post then make edits pretty much everytime? Why not type it all at once, makes it a lot easier.

WTF? Of course they are playable. Yes there is going to be a Golf, then a Golf Turbo, etc, but that's the same in most racing games. It's still 950 cars.

Yes quality matters, I've already said on the pages before we can't really judge that until we play the game but the quantity directly affects development time, regardless of quality. You're still modelling all those cars. Which is why I don't understand people being surprised at development time length, I understand disappointment though, but that's mostly because of what we read about release, then don't get in the end.

If the game has high quality and high quantity, then it's win-win, good value for money, but we'll need to wait a few more months to see I'm under no illusion of that.

GT5 Prologue was pretty good, it was more of a technical power house though, as in terms of the game play elements, things such as physics needed work.

So I guess this is one debate you are happy to just compare numbers huh AB :p

Nope sorry, doesn't work like that. There's a hell of a lot more to it than "we have more nah nah". And like Peter already said, 950 cars, but not 950 unique cars.

If they thought that way, Prologue would not exist.

Prologue was rushed and 5 is coming late, they should really settle on some middle ground.

So I guess this is one debate you are happy to just compare numbers huh AB :p

Nope sorry, doesn't work like that. There's a hell of a lot more to it than "we have more nah nah". And like Peter already said, 950 cars, but not 950 unique cars.

Yeah and Forza/NFS, "x amount of cars, but not x unique cars".

It's still modelling work which = development time, even if you're just changing body shape, dials, interior, the badges and the engine sounds. Every car also has to be put through Q&A regardless of if it's just a more powerful iteration.

We're talking development times Munky "we have more" = "more time in the cooker" most of the time. Read my post above, I'm not talking quality, I've already said a game with less can be better than a game that claims more.

What you guys are questioning though is the length of time since this game started development, which with everything they're trying to put into the game alongside them creating a PSP version I don't think is all that unreasonable.

If they thought that way, Prologue would not exist.

Prologue was rushed and 5 is coming late, they should really settle on some middle ground.

Prologue was clearly just a bone thrown to those waiting. They've always put out a prologue, it probably pays for a chunk of the final games development :laugh: Sad or not for being classed a "demo" GT5P still sold 4 million copies and it's created out of GT5 assets.

Then what does the number of cars have to do with anything being "unrivalled" if a game with less cars can still be better, in your words?

:blink:

For all you know Turn 10 have dozens of DLC car packs to release for F3, if numbers really mean that much to you.

Then what does the number of cars have to do with anything being "unrivalled" if a game with less cars can still be better, in your words?

:blink:

For all you know Turn 10 have dozens of DLC car packs to release for F3, if numbers really mean that much to you.

Because I at least have been talking about development time for pretty much this whole topic.

950 cars being developed for one game is unrivalled as far as I'm aware. If no other game has done that, you don't really have anything to compare GT5 to on a development time scale.

DLC is fine, but if it's costing money for every pack it's not that bad a deal paying RRP for a game and getting 950 cars.

cars:

• more than 950 cars

○ confirmed new brands: Ferrari, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Tesla

○ confirmed new series: NASCAR, WRC

tracks:

• 20 locations ?, 70 tracks (these numbers are still vague)

○ confirmed new race circuits: Top Gear Test Track, Daytona, Indianapolis

○ confirmed new road circuits: London, Eiger, Madrid, Tuscany

○confirmed new rally circuits: Tuscany

offline features:

• single race, 2 player splitscreen

• time trial

• garage, car wash, oil change

• licence test, championships

• photo mode (circuit & locations)

• museum

• GTTV (compatible with PSP)

online features:

• private rooms, lobbies

• text & voice chat

• photo and replay album

• YouTube replay output

• time trial rankings

other details:

• car tuning

• damage, affects handling, roll overs

• PlayStation Eye head tracking

• up to 1080p 60fps

• up to Dolby 7.1

• custom soundtracks

release date:

• March 2010

menu:

• Arcade, Online, Dealer, GT mode, Status, Theatre, Options, Manual

Thank god they confirmed roll overs, the physics were terrible in GT5P when you smacked another car and it just violently pivoted on front 2 wheels/back 2 wheels/front 2 wheels for about 10 seconds.

Head tracking confirmed as well, but where's the frickin demo of it?

Also off the blog for EU/USA

Finally, Gran Turismo 5 now has a solid Japanese release date – March 31. An American and European release date will be announced soon.

Source: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/09/tgs...other-new-info/

Quite possibly the worst video you'll ever watch in your life, but

http://qik.com/video/2989238

The Ferrari comes down the track and the dude recording says @ 5:34 "Ferrari Damage" and from his blurry camera you see the door has a crumbled look.

If so first non-rally car to have damage, unless that bash I posted earlier in the topic is indeed a bash.

gt5damage2.png

Hopefully a better video soon that isn't "awww ferrarray damaaage". I can't believe the demo would be on the showfloor with press/gamers around and the best recording we'd get is from a ****ty 1995 cellphone.

edit: Unless this is related to TGS

No_photo.jpg

and Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT5 video

Edited by Audioboxer

I know its gonna be worth the wait...it looks ****ing amazing.

I'm sorry for doubting you Boz...however there is no way that Forza 3 will be able to compete with this mammoth game, whenever it does get into our hands lol

and it could still beat Alan Wake to release :rofl:

nobody on any forums talks about that, it'll come out when its ready, i dont see anyone crying about it not coming out this year.... gt on the other hand is talked about daily

gt is sonys big title, has been in production for 5 years and is still going to miss the christmas timeframe? might as well come out with prologue 2 demo and release it in christmas 2010, wouldnt suprise me