[TGS] Gran Turismo 5: March 2010 in Japan

God I hate when threads are plastered with pictures and whatnot, when you scroll the the bottom the page slowly irk upwards as everything loads ( again ) so it takes like 20 seconds before you can actually get to the last post.

Its even worse on the horrific connection I use at my gf's to surf on the iPod Touch.

Dammit Audioboxer! what did I tell you about thumbnails! :p

Well after watching these GT5 Prologue gameplay videos I see what PD is doing.. the cars in the actual game don't look that good. The reflection is not the same as in replay. Forza 3 does look and feel A LOT better in actual gameplay with cars and environments not to mention car handling and whatnot.

PD seemingly does a trick where they do cool lighting and all that nice smoothing when you watch replay. And those are all the shots shown in promos and screenshots.

I have to say that's a bit misleading.

So why do the cars look A LOT better in Prologue, but the maps look sexier in GT5. :/

Tech Star I noticed you said this on the last page, I ignored it, but I think you're now confused.

The comparison pics on the last page are Forza 3 on top, GT5 Prologue on bottom. The Forza 3 pics have nicer environments, the GT5P pics nicer cars.

The actual GT5 videos posted in this topic obviously have better looking tracks/maps than GT5P, it's 2/3 years newer.

Geez, Polyphony Digital are perfectionists. I'm glad Forza's around. Competition is good for all of us :)

Gotta hand it to PD... the game looks gorgeous. Forza 3 looks great, too. Much better than Forza 2.

Tech Star I noticed you said this on the last page, I ignored it, but I think you're now confused.

The comparison pics on the last page are Forza 3 on top, GT5 Prologue on bottom. The Forza 3 pics have nicer environments, the GT5P pics nicer cars.

The actual GT5 videos posted in this topic obviously have better looking tracks/maps than GT5P, it's 2/3 years newer.

OH! I thought the top was shots of GT5 and the bottom was pics of GT5P, not Forza 3. :p Wow, Forza has nice lanscape, but the cars look like crap compared to GT5P. :p

My bad. :blush:

No one can deny that GT5 has nailed the lighting, it looks very natural. Now I'm just wondering, has anyone ever seen GT5 in another setting besides clear sky / sunny morning? All the videos, pics and replays I've seen are like this.

No one can deny that GT5 has nailed the lighting, it looks very natural. Now I'm just wondering, has anyone ever seen GT5 in another setting besides clear sky / sunny morning? All the videos, pics and replays I've seen are like this.

There was a brief glimpse of what looked to be a dusk setting on the Top Gear track in the E3 video iirc.

image8z.jpg

2010?!

I got an email last week from GAME saying...

As you may already be aware, the UK release date for Gran Turismo 5 has changed to 09-Dec-2009. Changes to release dates are relatively common in the videogames industry and are unfortunately beyond our control.

*CRY*

Video tour/interview is up but it's in French as expected ;( - http://www.gameblog.fr/news_11515_tgs-09-r...al-gran-turismo

Need to wait on Gamespots/translation of above. In the mean time here's new screenshots from Gamespot

941103_20090928_screen001.jpg

941103_20090928_screen002.jpg

941103_20090928_screen003.jpg

941103_20090928_screen004.jpg

941103_20090928_screen005.jpg

941103_20090928_screen006.jpg

941103_20090928_screen007.jpg

941103_20090928_screen008.jpg

941103_20090928_screen009.jpg

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/driving/grantu...o52/images.html

Sony announced a March release for Gran Turismo 5 at Tokyo Game Show last week, a release window that was specifically targeted for the Japanese market. However, don't expect a surprise 2009 release (sorry Amazon!). "I don't think it's going to be that different for US and Europe," Polyphony Digital head Kazunori Yamauchi told journalists at a GT5 event last week. "Marketing is still discussing their issues," which is the reason why a specific date hasn't been pegged yet for those markets.

Yamauchi then went on to list a befuddling list of features that should ship on the disc next year. GT Mode will return with all the features of classic GT games, like the garage, the car dealer, the tuning shop, and license tests. However, more exciting are the new features, such as a brand-new physics model that includes damage and deformation for all normal cars. Hybrid and electric cars are going to be added to the livery, too, with over 950 cars available on the disc. There will also be over 70 variations of over 20 locations to race through.

The online features have been expanded to include both text and voice chat, with support for lobbies and private rooms. There will be online photo albums and online replay albums as well; with the ability to export replays to YouTube. Gran Turismo TV, the video service introduced in Gran Turismo 5 Prologue will also be expanded with a brand new UI, progressive downloading (so you can watch the video content while it downloads), and the ability to export these videos to PSP. While this may seem like the kitchen sink of features, Yamauchi teased, "We have much more planned."

Considering it's been five years since the release of Gran Turismo 4 on PS2, fans of the franchise are expecting only the best, if not more.

Source - http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/28/gran-tur...ely-early-2010/

Joystiq reporting damage and deformation for ALL cars... Gamespot backs it up to say all cars will at least contain some deformation

Referring to damage specifically, Yamauchi mentioned some details about the how damage will work in the game. There will be two types of damage in the game, depending on the car you're driving. For regular production model cars, you'll be able scuff the paint job as well as deform specific areas of the cars. For race model cars, like WRC and NASCAR models, damage will be extended to include parts falling off the car during particularly violent shunts.
The tuning shop will be more than just internal parts--there will also be external bits like bumpers, sidesteps, rear wings, and more.

More on blog - http://uk.gamespot.com/sports/blogs/sports...topslot;thumb;1

Apparent translation of French tour

0:30 Welcome.

0:45 Photo of the team. Over 100 employees now.

1:15 Purple means they're not there.

1:30 Server room. One of the largest in Tokyo.

2:00 Physics testing. Everything they do here gets stored in a PC for analysis.

2:15 PSP debug system.

2:45 Game releases in March in Japan, A BIT LATER IN EUROPE.

3:00 Modelling driver heads.

3:40 Covers of the GT games.

4:15 Entertainment area. Library. Kitchen. Fitness.

5:35 Giant Gundam hand.

6:35 Figurines of Omega Boost, an old Polyphony game with robots.

7:10 Luggage bags, with stickers of N?rburgring, Spa-Francorchamps and Monza.

7:50 (Is that a Porsche ? Or a RUF ?)

8:45 Damage testing / finalizing. Scale models they can take apart.9:00 Only a few weeks of development left. Not much longer.>

9:30 Prize room.

10:20 A Ferrari piston.

10:40 BAFTA awards.

10:50 Yamauchi's trophy from a Nordschleife victory last month (see official website)

11:50 DJ set.

Source: http://www.gameblog.fr/news_11515_tgs-09-r...al-gran-turismo

Only a few more weeks of development?

More waiting for an english interview/video tour for clarity I guess:laugh::

edit:> Another video interview... FRENCH AGAIN? FS.

Edited by Audioboxer

So Gamespot as usual failed at being good journalists and actually asking something we don't already know about, ze French to the rescue,

On a ainsi pu apprendre que le jeu poss?dera bien un cycle jour/nuit et qu'il sera -enfin- possible de courir sous la pluie. De m?me, une gestion de l'usure des pneus sera au programme. Une d?gradation qui variera en fonction de la qualit? du pilotage et de la mont?e en temp?rature des gommes. Il sera ainsi possible d'optimiser ses trains de pneus et sa conduite en ?tudiant les graphiques des courses, expliqu?s en d?tails dans la vid?o

http://www.jvn.com/jeux/articles/interview...exclusives.html

Day/Night cycles confirmed, rain confirmed and tire management confirmed

One thus could learn that the play will have well a cycle day/night and qu' it will be - finally possible to run under the rain. In the same way, a management of l' wear of the tires will be with the program. A degradation which will vary according to the quality of piloting and the rise in temperature of gums. It will be thus possible d' to optimize its sets of tires and its control by studying the graphs of the races, explained in details in the video
we will also yielded a few revelations about GT5. It has learned that the game has a good day / night cycle and it will last, can run in the rain. Similarly, management of the tires would wear to the program. Degradation which varies depending on the quality of pilotage and the rise in temperature gums. This will make it possible to optimize its sets of tires and driving studying graphic races, explained in detail in the video. Finally, if the F1 does not appear in the program of GT5, it is assumed that other cars would enter, starting with the famous Polyphony 001, 002, etc..[/quote>> Is there still a chance for a Christmas release ?ease ?

To answer your question, it's not delayed. We never officially announced it for 2009. But I understand you're dissapp>> How far is the game ?game ?

The game is finished if all you want to do is take a car and drive. But for the actual game experience, we'r>> I tried the demo, the cars don't fully deform. Not even when crashing really hard. hard.

We're still working on that. We still have a lot of work to do in that dep>> What about online ? Will there be race events like in Prologue ?ogue ?

Prologue worked like an open match. In GT5, there will be private zones for your f>> Will there be more series other than NASCAR and GT500* What about F1 ?t F1 ?

I have always wanted as much championships in the game as possible. That's why we now have Nascar and WRC. But I want all of them.

It's difficult to get all the F>> What about other single seaters ?ters ?

P>> Have you seen Forza 3 ? What do you think of the game ? Have you played it ? Did you take notes or stay focused on GT ?n GT ?

Our challenge is to improve every GT based on the previous release. But competition >> Earlier I saw an interesting G-force graphic. Will that be in the final game ?game ?

Do you want>> Yest; Yes

Then I'll leave it in.

Edited by Audioboxer

Some more questions on damage

TGS 2009: Interview: Gran Turismo 5's Kazunori Yamauchi

During Tokyo Game Show last week we crashed Polyphony Digital's studio and chatted up Kazunori Yamauchi about ... Gran Turismo 6? Wait -- what? Just watch the interview.

Selected excerpts below:

Joystiq: Are there any plans to bring Gran Turismo PSP's "Party Mode" to GT5?

Yamauchi: I'm glad you noticed that. What we really worked hard to make the PSP portable fun and interesting is in those types of details. Obviously, these are ideas we worked hard on and they will be carried over in some form into GT5.

In Gran Turismo, with its ten years of history, the people that who good at playing the game are really, really good at playing the game. Of course, there are a lot of first-time players that want to get into the game, and it was a major theme for us to develop the game so it would be easier for them to get into it. With the party races and these game modes we've developed for the PSP, we've come to one solution for that aspect.

How long did it take to implement damage into Gran Turismo 5?

It took two months to get to where we're at. So it wasn't a matter of difficulty. It was just when we initiated it.

Why implement it now?

One was a technical curiosity as a developer. And the other is that if it will make for clean races, it's a good thing.

How realistic will damage be?

To end with the race with a crash, we can do that now. But I don't think we'll ever have serious crashes, in which the cars are just torn apart into bits or just flattened into a few inches high. Things like that are something I just don't think we'll ever do.

Damage is just one -- just a small aspect of a race. It's nothing that really needs to be focused on.

Will damage affect gameplay?

The level of damage that is affecting the cars -- because the demo is so short, you might not be able to damage the car that much in such a short amount of time. But it''s not a difficult thing to apply the physics of damage to handling and suspension and all that.

The Cologne version actually already had that implemented. Because it had a five minute playtime, I think you're able to see more of the damage affecting the cars' driving then. But the TGS demo is maybe two and a half minutes long, so you might not be able to see it as prominently.

How interested are you in the PlayStation Motion Controller?

Motion controller has infinite possibilities and the level of completion of the actual device is going to be very high just from the start. I think it's going to be very important, but as for its importance in GT, I don't think it's going to have that much of a role in the series. As for the PlayStation Eye, we're probably going to try and use it in Gran Turismo, but we can't go into details of that yet.

What are your plans for Gran Turismo 5?

GT5 is a title that was pretty much remade from scratch, but because we did that, the next version is actually going to be faster -- the time period it's going to be released. But I think when GT5 comes out, we're still going to have things that are left undone, and whether we complete that in GT6, or the next version for PSP, I'm not sure yet. I've been working very hard for the last 15 years, and I think that hard work is just going to continue.

How about a game that really teaches players how to drive?

To make something that's not just about sports driving, but teaches you how to drive safely and teaches you how to drive in traffic -- that kind of educational software, I think, is something that's very important.

Source: http://www.joystiq.com/2009/09/28/tgs-2009...uchi/#continued

There's a video on Joystiq as well of the interview.

How is damage a "small" aspect to racing? When I race (in real life) that is half the fun...knowing something could go terribly wrong at any point.

Who are they kidding?

I don't think there's any need to overreact to that answer.

All he's saying is damage is a small part of the overall picture, you don't need to focus on it to obsessive levels of absolutely totalling cars/killing drivers in a video game. That's what happens in real life, you hit a wall doing over 100mph and the car is completely shredded/potential injury to driver. It's the unfortunate side of racing, not a feature of racing. People don't go out with a purpose to actually crash, they race to win :p

As long as we have some visual representation, but more importantly mechanical damage, there isn't much need to focus on it any further in a game. You buy these games to admire the cars/tracks and race, it's not destruction derby or carmageddon, you should be trying to avoid crashing :p Lap times and position are much more important, most people will see them as the fun part rather than a fear of crashing in a virtual game (you cannot tell me you'd get the same adrenaline rush of thinking about crashing sprites over a real car, one is potentially fatal, the other ends in cursing you losing a race against a mate).

In an online world though we need simulated penalties through mechanical damage, without that you're left with unpunished cheating. GT5 now has that to an acceptable level of (video gaming) simulation.