Final Version of Free Microsoft Security Essentials tomorrow!

I hope the MsMpEng.exe is a tad more CPU friendly in the final version. On a few machines i've installed it on that single processes is quite the CPU ###### at around 60 - 90% cpu. Then it calms down. Then open up IE and MsMpEng starts sucking up 60% cpu again.

Awesome. I wonder if I have to uninstall the Beta version. It's been running on my Windows 7 system for a while now. Right now, the version I have is 1.0.1500.0. I'm guessing that's the final version.

Awesome. I wonder if I have to uninstall the Beta version. It's been running on my Windows 7 system for a while now. Right now, the version I have is 1.0.1500.0. I'm guessing that's the final version.

As with all betas you must uninstall before installing the final. Really, is it that big of a deal?

I just wish they let you stop startup programs with it. I don't want to use msconfig and instead am using ccleaner.

any idea what build# number is it ?

As with all betas you must uninstall before installing the final. Really, is it that big of a deal?

i dont think so

I wouldn't be surprised if it shows up under windows update and uninstalls the old and installs the final version automatically. Or if you can juse use the check for update option.

i am hoping that the virus definition updates finally come from other than windows update because that annoys me! :wacko:

Agreed I have mine set to check for update but to not install. I've heard that effects updates for MSE. Well the updates do install for just MSE, its not not right away. Right now I have the 9/28/2009 update which must have got installed, yet windows update shows an new Definition update (1.67.144.0) just sitting there.

What i'm wondering is why Microsoft is going straight to the final version for the masses without pushing it out to the people who downloaded the app way back when.

Edited by warwagon

Agreed I have mine set to check for update but to not install. I've heard that effects updates for MSE. Well the updates do install for just MSE, its not not right away. Right now I have the 9/28/2009 update which must have got installed, yet windows update shows an new update just sitting there.

not only that but it fills up your windows update history with a zillion virus definition updates resulting in it being annoying and difficult to find other important updates! :crazy:

not only that but it fills up your windows update history with a zillion virus definition updates resulting in it being annoying and difficult to find other important updates! :crazy:

really? ... lemme go look.

Holy CRAP!!... you are right. what a cluster ****.

Not that i'm complaining about them getting installed, but how are they ignoring the update rule you have set for all other updates?

the only way around this i have found is to download the virus definition updates manually from the malware protection site but that can be annoying because the file is over 40MB! :o

Edited by mattburles

I will be using this aswell!

im only gonna use it if they update how the virus definitions are delivered and if its not through windows update =\

really? ... lemme go look.

Holy CRAP!!... you are right. what a cluster ****.

Not that i'm complaining about them getting installed, but how are they ignoring the update rule you have set for all other updates?

out of curiousity how many updates do u like see in the history?

I hope the MsMpEng.exe is a tad more CPU friendly in the final version. On a few machines i've installed it on that single processes is quite the CPU ###### at around 60 - 90% cpu. Then it calms down. Then open up IE and MsMpEng starts sucking up 60% cpu again.

Don't see this on my rig on Windows 7, how fast are the machines you seen this on?

Yep just noticed that myself. Bit OTT but more of a minor inconvenience than a big issue though

Don't see this on my rig on Windows 7, how fast are the machines you seen this on?

Yep just noticed that myself. Bit OTT but more of a minor inconvenience than a big issue though

could always do the updates manually like i said but than that will take more time and there will be no point of having automatic updates than.... will wait and see what the final build is like i suppose if it works the same in that area..

What i'm wondering is why Microsoft is going straight to the final version for the masses without pushing it out to the people who downloaded the app way back when.

What are you talking about? Microsoft pushed out the final version to testers a while ago. If it's not installed on your computer, that's your fault. They even sent out an e-mail explaining how to install it if for some reason the automatic update failed.