Final Version of Free Microsoft Security Essentials tomorrow!

What are you talking about? Microsoft pushed out the final version to testers a while ago. If it's not installed on your computer, that's your fault. They even sent out an e-mail explaining how to install it if for some reason the automatic update failed.

lol well I never was an official tester. I just got it off softopia.

Agreed I have mine set to check for update but to not install. I've heard that effects updates for MSE. Well the updates do install for just MSE, its not not right away. Right now I have the 9/28/2009 update which must have got installed, yet windows update shows an new Definition update (1.67.144.0) just sitting there.

No it doesn't. The WU settings affect the updates that are installed via the WU applet. Regardless of the WU settings, MSE will download and install updates thrice a day. But they will still show up in WU history, and thats really an annoyance. I suggested at Connect a change in that behavior long back, and it was closed as won't fix.

There are still quite a few unsolved bugs on connect, I hope these are fixed in this final version or I won't be using it.

has anyone noticed any difference between the beta and the final version? i have yet to download and install it and am wondering about the differences?!

Running this now, last time I tried it they had an ugly non-transparent icon in the context menu, glad that's fixed.

Was running Avira free beforehand, and I know it's detections are probably better, but for what security I need this will be fine (I like how it integrates and looks like it's part of Windows 7).

cool! thanks!

any performance increases like the time it takes to do a quick or full scan? i remember this being one of the problems with the beta.. slow scan times.

Upgraded from the beta version.

I love how it's lightweight and in general just stays out of the way. Other AV software is much more annoying (AntiVir, I'm looking at you.)

As to detection rates: If tests like this one are to be believed MSE is one of the better free AV programs.

cnt wait, and i too hope they stop sending it through windows update, as its annoying always having baloon tips popping up.

Set MSE up to autoupdate and you will never get nagged.

Is it bad that I am just now hearing about this?

Nope, the beta was limited so it is understandable you are now only hearing about it.

Set MSE up to autoupdate and you will never get nagged.

Nope, the beta was limited so it is understandable you are now only hearing about it.

how do you set MSE to autoupdate? doesnt it do this already?

how do you set MSE to autoupdate? doesnt it do this already?

Yes it does, but if you have Windows Update set to notify you then you will have to go and change the setting in MSE itself but leave the WU setting alone.

Yes it does, but if you have Windows Update set to notify you then you will have to go and change the setting in MSE itself but leave the WU setting alone.

and what are the steps to do this? because this is how i want it set up?!

and what are the steps to do this? because this is how i want it set up?!

Go to the Settings tab - Scheduled Scan and sert it up to run a daily scan at a time of your choosing. Then select the check box below to check for definitions prior to scanning. Then the suite will run the update the definitions daily without having to do it manually.