Media player for W7

When installing MPC-HC, do you keep the option to save old program settings checked or unchecked? Just asking what does it do.

Somebody! I unchecked this option and installed it. I need to know what it does. Please answer.

It... it saves the settings of the previous install. Says so right there in your own text :blink:

Now if you install it for the first time, it doesn't really matter what you check. All the same; gives you the default settings.

Ah, dammit! I'm having problem with MPC-HC again! It can't run MKV files with AC3 audio no matter what. I even installed Ac3filter.

Help needed! Please! I just need to run all my videos without using VLC! FFS! THERE SHOULD BE A PROGRAM TO DO THAT! MPC-HC seemed perfect.. and now this! Damn.

Ah, dammit! I'm having problem with MPC-HC again! It can't run MKV files with AC3 audio no matter what. I even installed Ac3filter.

Does it gives you some kind of error, or what?

VLC has problems (pixelation).

Probably drivers problems. Never had that problem with ATI drivers and any VLC version on Windows 7 Ultimate (32bit).

Does it gives you some kind of error, or what?

Probably drivers problems. Never had that problem with ATI drivers and any VLC version on Windows 7 Ultimate (32bit).

No errors, the video just doesn't play. Only audio.

And no, not a driver problem. I'm using correct W7 drivers of Catalyst 9.9 for HD4870.

Windows Media Player Classic Home Cinema x64 1.3.1249.0

VLC rapes my CPU

Although it uses more CPU than WMP with DXVA. I can't figure this out. It is not the codecs and both players use DXVA. Is Windows 7 giving priority to its own components by design?

This is annoying me because I am still disappointed at EVR for having offset/jitter issues, using more CPU, and whatnot compared to the superior VMR9 (less CPU usage, no offset or jitter). >:(

After trying so many different apps for video and music, I now just use WMP12. I also have MP-HC just in case i need it. I like to keep things simple.

On a side note, Zune is awful, imho, I prefer iTunes over it.

File > Open...

At first time you'll get this window:

post-144414-1255623740.jpg

Just click "Yes" and check the "Don't ask me again for..." if you want to.

... or have the plug-in vendor properly register MKV as a supported type. That'd be the Good way to do that.

Music: foobar2000

Video: MPC-HC & ffdshow

While MPC-HC by itself would technically be enough, I like the extra options you get with ffdshow. ffdshow is set to do resize, blur & denoise for hd videos and post processing in addition to the aforementioned for sd videos.

Edited by macel

Same one I have been using since Windows XP days:

VIDEO: Windows Media Player.

Audio : Windows Media Player.

There is no need for anything else.

There is, if you want to play H264 videos encoded in level above 4.1. The current Windows 7 drivers do not support these streams and bug-out. Until Media Foundation alternatives show up, WMP is only hit or miss.

If you only watch AVIs, it's all good. :rolleyes:

WMP12 is working great for playing MPEG-4 720p Blu-ray rips, and most everything else I play in .AVI and WMV format, DVD. If I have problems or want better quality I'll use PowerDVD DX 8.2 for DVDs, VLC and Nero Showtime for other video. Audio wise I play most everything in WMP12 and Zune, occasionally I'll use foobar2000 for tagging, file naming schemes, and formats I can't play otherwise. foobar2000 also has the best quality playback you can get, so I'm using it more these days with the native Vista/Win7 audio output API.

SOMETHING SHOCKING JUST HAPPENED! The MKV trouble I was having in MPC-HC X64 is miraculously solved in MPC-HC X86! Now I can play everything fine. Warning to people with X64 Windows 7:

Don't install MPC-HC X64! Install the X86 edition.