Police: Dad Shoots Teen Caught Having Sex with Daughter

I would have whopped the guys butt for sure, right there in the room, but to shoot the guy is a bit of "over reaction" for sure.

what would that have accomplished

the key to dealing with this wouldbe to educate the girl, and grow up, and realize that when he was 16 he was probably the same way

if they played safe, and it was consensual, who cares

too many parents think having their kid on a leash is gonna work, and frankly kids nowadays are independent adults way younger than 18

I ran my own life starting at around 15, made my own decisions, my mother went let me do what i wanted as long as i did well in school and didnt get into trouble. She knew what went on if the door was closed, and knew i wasnt stupid enough to do anything unsafely

I did pretty well learning responsibility at a young age, and i dont have a parent that thinks violence is the answer to everything, like this girls father, and some ppl in this thread

Another example of how Americans rush in hotheadedly and shoot before thinking, again another by product of their gun culture. People here saying the guy deserved it need a reality check, the girl was obviously not being raped :/

Yee haw!

I don't see why anyone thinks the daughter needed "protecting". It's a HUGE insult to all women to say such a thing. You may as well say that women are brainless, ignorant, passive, incapable of making decisions, don't like sex ... Victorian attitudes basically.

(Edit: It is also an insult to all men. It's another way of calling you all rapists, or potential rapists.)

If a young woman is legally old enough and knows what she needs to about STDs and contraception there is no reason at all why she can't give full consent to sex. Just the same as for guys. Even if she was below the age of consent, she still has the ability to decide, especially by 16. Just like guys under the age of consent can decide, if they have all the information they need.

This wasn't about protecting his daughter at all, but control and his inability to let her grow up into an independent woman.

When men start talking about "protecting innocence" and all that clap trap it's just another way of saying they want to control female sexuality - notice how young men never need protecting, it's always women that need this "protection". And yet, is there any evidence to justify this? Is every woman having to be forced into sex or something? Have YOU ever deliberately coerced a woman into sex she didn't really want?

No one would think it ok to force a woman to have sex, so is it ok to prevent her from having legal, consensual and safe sex if she wants to?

A normal and sensible response would, of course, have been to wait until the boyfriend had gone home and had a sensible discussion, treating her like an adult and ensuring she could go to her parents with any problems. Now she is likely to be traumatised for life.

Also, just because he's not her biological father doesn't mean he doesn't care as much as if he was. Many step parents raise kids from a young age and see them as their own child.

There is a high rate of young pregnancy in my family, but from what I can see it stems from lack of opportunity or ambition to do anything else with their lives. My cousins and aunts had motherhood, and only motherhood, to look forward to as something they could enjoy and do well in.

I think it would be very hard of you to force a teenage daughter out of your home because she was pregnant. It wouldn't be very parent-like at all to abandon your child when she needed you more than ever. :/

Exactly.

The only difference here is that it's not culturally acceptable to beat and murder daughters for choosing to have sex.

Instead people prefer to insult them even more by deciding that not only are they not allowed to make their own decisions, they are not even capable of doing so and taking responsbility.

The Best response I've ever read.

Can't put together my Engrish as good as you do! :yes:

The worst part of the story is that the step-father managed to destroy his entire family in 5 seconds flat.

How the mother and her daughter are going to live with that man after that shooting? How the boyfriend (if he is alive, the article is not clear on that) is going to go near his girlfriend?

Really, a good example of a well-behaved, long-term-thinking individual ...

Wow... just wow!

Stupidity like this father's action and the common thinking trend of fathers out there (I said common, but I'm not saying that ALL fathers are like this) are the reason of underage pregnancy.

You might be asking, but why?

Because these daughters grow up uneducated, without the slightest idea of what to do in what situation. Then they get pregnant.

I'm all in favor of these kids having sex. There is no age of maturity. I've seen 15 year old way more mature than some 30 year old.

So yes, if my 15 year old (heck, even younger) daughter or son were having sex with their respective "boyfriends / girlfriends" (they can be either hetero, homo, bi, whatever), and I'm sure I educated them all I could, I would buy them their first condoms or their first sex toys.

In conclusion, tradition and conservatism are way outdated, and parents ignorant enough to employ those raising models for their children deserve to be grandparents when their kids are 15.

I hope the stepfather gets raped in prison, and his daughter catches his stepfather's pimp in jail. I would love to see and hear what the daughter would say: "I won't shoot your boyfriend, dad. You look like you love each other."

/rant

being raped or not, it is still statutory rape.

sexual intercourse with a person (girl or boy) who has not reached the age of consent (even if both parties participate willingly)

so irregardless of whether the boy is of age or not, or the girl, it is rape in the eyes of the law.

the offender doesn't have to be older than 18, the victim has to be under the age of consent 18

so yeah, this was a crime of passion during a rape.

I don't see why anyone thinks the daughter needed "protecting". It's a HUGE insult to all women to say such a thing. You may as well say that women are brainless, ignorant, passive, incapable of making decisions, don't like sex ... Victorian attitudes basically.

I agree whole-heartedly. This "protection" mentality is ridiculous.

Different states have different laws about statutory rape. In Florida:

"794.05 Unlawful sexual activity with certain minors.-- (1) A person 24 years of age or older who engages in sexual activity with a person 16 or 17 years of age commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084. As used in this section, "sexual activity" means oral, anal, or vaginal penetration by, or union with, the sexual organ of another; however, sexual activity does not include an act done for a bona fide medical purpose."

So, no, despite my belief that statutory rape is a bogus law anyway, this is not statutory rape.

so to understand what I'm reading..we fathers are only breeding **** toys for perverts and others in the eyes of those who perceive it as NOT rape?

Now, I know why this country is in the toilet.. :pinch:

I hope dad spends a long time in jail. If his daughter is having sex, he should have blamed him self or his daughter, not the guy having sex with her. Unless the guy was raping her. I can see dad throwing a few punches on the guy, but shooting? come on....

Why does anyone need blaming? There's nothing wrong with having sex, as long as you're aware of the risks. And at least this girl was with her boyfriend, and not some random guy she met whilst ****ed.

so to understand what I'm reading..we fathers are only breeding **** toys for perverts and others in the eyes of those who perceive it as NOT rape?

Uh, I think you need to re-explain yourself, and not resort to random strawmen.

Since when do you get to redefine the laws on rape anyway?

By "protecting" his daughter, he's now gone and done exactly the opposite by potentially traumatising her and making it more likely she'll have future relationship problems. Shame on him for that, let alone actually SHOOTING somebody!

This is why guns should be outlawed, even seemingly "normal" and rational people loose all rationality when put into emotional situations. The truth is that none of us are actually rational, and current gun laws (well, nearly all laws) assume that everyone who owns a gun is rational and won't shoot just because they physically can, which incidents like these clearly show that is not the case

Would you say the same thing if your 17 year-old son had sex with a 19 year-old girl, or would you do the typical "Go get 'em!" thing?

The 18 year-old hard cutoff in many states (like Virginia, though it's called "aiding in the delinquency of a minor" here and it's only a misdemeanor) is very arbitrary and, frankly, wrong. I can understand Florida's law more. Biologically and mentally, there are very few differences between a 16 year-old and a 22 year-old other than the retarded restrictions the states put on sexuality and alcohol.

Yes, that's right. All girls are ****-toys and all boys are perverts who attack ****-toys. :blink: Girls hate sex, don'cha know?

This was a premeditated attack with a deadly weapon. No imminent attack or harm threatened against him or his daughter. He should be locked up for a while.

:&: Ba dmp psh :&:

Anyways, I'm a father of two daughters and I can understand where the father is coming from, but Damn talk about overreacting! You gotta let go sometime!

I can understand as well, and although i'm not gonna turn this into a country debate, chances are that if this had happened in another country he most likely wouldn't have access to a loaded gun to "overreact". If this were to happen to my daughter, the boy would get a beatdown for sure, and maybe it's just me but IMO having a gun/guns, loaded or unloaded within your home is an accident waiting to happen.

Oh come on, the girl was having sex with her bf, clearly its not like she was being raped.

You gotta let your kids go at some point.

Massive overreaction.

completely agree, she is 16 years old. at that age I was wild having sex.

so irregardless of whether the boy is of age or not, or the girl, it is rape in the eyes of the law.

the offender doesn't have to be older than 18, the victim has to be under the age of consent 18

so yeah, this was a crime of passion during a rape.

because kids NEVER have sex before the age of consent right

its ALWAYS rape

any father that thinks that way and sees the need to overreact, deserves to be put in jail