Torchlight - Awesome Diablo Clone Now Out!

If it is anything like Mythos, the town is only the first in a large series of towns. Mythos had what felt like hundreds of towns and infinite places to explore. Check out details on Mythos to get an idea of where this game may be headed. Torchlight is a WIP and because of that they are releasing it in manageable modules.

No. It's a single town only. This is a much more focused game than Mythos, which I tried and did not enjoy at all. The acts of the storyline are tied directly with the # of floors you have to venture through.

the game wont work on windows 7... :(

It works fine. Got it off Steam, been playing for a while, which has seriously messed up my sleep cycle in conjunction with Borderlands.

I'm currently on my first real playthrough on Hard difficulty. Approaching floor 30, I've died a ton of times mainly due to me not looking at my heal and running away when I can. My character is a Destroyer.

I really wish there was a stat calculator so we can plan different builds. It should be noted that one of the devs released a mod that puts respec potions into the game so you can respec your guy. You have to download and install it though.

It's pretty fun, I played it yesterday... But that was in VMWare fusion and I was getting some issues (caused by VMWare). I read in this thread that there's going to be an OSX version so I'll be waiting for that instead of installing WIndows ;)

Works fine here too with Windows 7 x64.

AWESOME game too! Well worth the $20 you pay for it from steam!

I got the demo last night, played it for about 30 minutes. Seems really fun. Although I'm confused as to why a destroyer can use a wand. I picked up this wand that shot frost bolts, and was able to use it right away. Can all three classes use magic or something? I figured the destroyer was melee only (which is why I picked it).

I got the demo last night, played it for about 30 minutes. Seems really fun. Although I'm confused as to why a destroyer can use a wand. I picked up this wand that shot frost bolts, and was able to use it right away. Can all three classes use magic or something? I figured the destroyer was melee only (which is why I picked it).

All class can use magic, there are 4 slots for non-class specific magic.

The classes are able to equip any item as long as their stats meet the requirement. At the beginning, it's easy to get mage equips on a Destroyer because the difference between the stats for each character is so small. However, when you start leveling up and making decisions on where to allocate skill points, it becomes harder to do that. For the Destroyer, any points into dexterity or intelligence is pretty much useless, which means later on you won't be equipping that Wand of Apocalypse.

It's pretty fun, I played it yesterday... But that was in VMWare fusion and I was getting some issues (caused by VMWare). I read in this thread that there's going to be an OSX version so I'll be waiting for that instead of installing WIndows ;)

Actually I just read on some mac forums that it works good in Crossover (minus a small crash when you change the resolution...) so I might just do that :)

No. It's a single town only. This is a much more focused game than Mythos, which I tried and did not enjoy at all. The acts of the storyline are tied directly with the # of floors you have to venture through.

It works fine. Got it off Steam, been playing for a while, which has seriously messed up my sleep cycle in conjunction with Borderlands.

I'm currently on my first real playthrough on Hard difficulty. Approaching floor 30, I've died a ton of times mainly due to me not looking at my heal and running away when I can. My character is a Destroyer.

I really wish there was a stat calculator so we can plan different builds. It should be noted that one of the devs released a mod that puts respec potions into the game so you can respec your guy. You have to download and install it though.

Where do we get the level editor from? I didn't see it anywhere in steam?

Also my assertion that it will have tons of towns is based on the idea that this is not the finished product.

the game wont work on windows 7... :(

That is too bad that it is not working for you. It works fine on my Windows 7 64bit home premium. The only bug I have come across is a few times a mob has been locked up.

Where do we get the level editor from? I didn't see it anywhere in steam?

Also my assertion that it will have tons of towns is based on the idea that this is not the finished product.

What is available on Steam is a "finished product." Runic is currently working on an MMO based on Torchlight. I think this is its own project in-and-of-itself. And in the MMO there will most likely be multiple towns.

Frankly, I like the single town approach. You don't need to be running around talking to people in an ARPG. Just level grinding.

I've been really impressed with some of the boss fights. They have been really challenging. I'm at level 28 now on my Vanquisher on normal difficulty and it is getting to the point where I die every-so-often. Chugging down the potions, that's for sure. I had a surplus of potions that dropped, and that is about to run out. I might have to actually BUY some >cringe<.

Is their website running on a playstation 1 or something? Just terrible response times.

They posted on the forums that they got overwhelmed, and got more traffic than they could anticipate, and working to solve it.

im so close to buying this game lol the point and click to move is the only thing stopping me ( i have only played the demo atm ) are you change this in the full version ?

No... I'm a little disappointed in the lack of any keymapping options. I've gotten use to the click to move gameplay (that is how Diablo was anyway). But occasionally I will press one of the WASD keys, which some are bound to stuff like "W" switches weapons.

But, given the price of the game I think everyone is a little forgiving on the lack of options and the lack of more classes to play. I wish there was a V-Sync video option. For some reason my setup has bad tearing issues w/o a V-Sync. I have to run in Windowed mode to avoid it, which is annoying too.

I bought this game last night (I didn't even know it existed until I saw this thread) because I needed to waste some time until Dragon Age comes out and it was cheap. It is like Diablo, only not nearly as boring, plus the world is vibrant and wondrous. I love the element of "Ember." It works great on Windows 7 (x64) and it is sooo much fun. I do wish it had a WSAD control scheme so I could bind the keys to my joystick, but that's really a very minor complaint. It's the best $20 I've spent in a long time.

They posted a thread on the offical forums with a listing of things they are working on for a bugfix patch.

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2030

For example V-Sync is added to the game menu already (in their build).

Regarding the keybindings I agree, I don't like the 1-9 spread and spacebar bringing up the character screens. If they don't add a keyeditor, I hope there will be some fanmade 3rd party app to allow easier editing (not a mod). The keys are in the options-file but it's awkward to change them manually.

There are a ton of options you can set in the settings file that aren't changeable in game like v-sync, key mappings, etc.

Good to know!

Made my purchase last night, but I only started the download and started watching TV. Totally forgot about it and now I'm sitting here at work eager as **** to get home! :pinch: