Torchlight - Awesome Diablo Clone Now Out!

I'll definitely be picking this up. I downloaded the demo yesterday from Steam and ended up playing it for about 5 hours. This game is a lot of fun. There's so much to keep you interested, even though it's just a dungeon crawler at the base level.

It reminds me a lot of Diablo 1 (not that it's a bad thing!) with its single-town-with-99-level-dungeon approach. I love how it takes away the tedious tasks like picking up gold, selling items (pets <3), etc.

Storyline's a bit lacking, but it's understandable. They probably don't have the loremasters of Blizzard's calibre. But overall it's a really fun hack-n-slash dungeon crawler.

Selling it for $20 is a great move. And with promises of free multiplayer, I'm sure it will attract some money for them.

I played the demo, and kick myself for at least not pre-ordering to get the 10% discount, as this should have been day 1 purchase for me :(

The multiplayer would make this cool, at least just some co-op where you can quest together, and trade etc.

Just wondering if to purchase it now.

It seems good but I'm not buying into the graphics.

Might as well try the demo first.

It's been a long time since I last played a game like Diablo. Titan Quest, and it was awesome to say the least.

The only thing I don't like about the game is the items' labels are overlapping. You end up focusing the mouse just to get the right item. Else, you end up having to waste time by picking everything up just to get the item you wanted, then drop all the crap.

Other than that, this game is awesome.

Any good mods out yet? I'd love to have a dps meter.

The mod tools aren't out yet, but some people have started digging around in the game files anyway doing easy stuff.

Edit: No dps mod afaik saw.

Here are the offical Runic Games mod-forums:

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewforum.php?f=15

Fansite

http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/torchlightmods/

Edited by Buio

Appears mods are starting to quickly pick up. Some highlights --

Small Fonts

Respec

Minimal HUD

I played the demo, and kick myself for at least not pre-ordering to get the 10% discount, as this should have been day 1 purchase for me

I'd regret not being able to play it when it first came out, but saving $2 isn't something I'd worry about. :p

The games ok. It's nothing to foam at the mouth over. You can get all 3 Fate games for $20.00 at walmart. It's about the same game play as Torchlight. I kinda wish I would have purchased that instead of this but..oh well....

The games ok. It's nothing to foam at the mouth over. You can get all 3 Fate games for $20.00 at walmart. It's about the same game play as Torchlight. I kinda wish I would have purchased that instead of this but..oh well....

Considering Torchlight is more or less Fate and Mythos (with Diablo thrown in) mixed up in a blender I don't see the issue with it. The graphics are much nicer, and overall for a game that was only announced like 5 months ago it's a pretty well polished little game (and little it is at under 500 megs also).

Torchlight will also have much, much more community support than Fate ever did. Simply because Torchlight is on Steam, and will turn out to be much more popular as well. So once the editor is released, watch the mods come out fast and frequently. Hell, there's already a multiplayer mod being worked on (it has basic network support but not sure if it's a co-op style thing or what) and quite a few weapon/armor mods out already.

Not to mention Runic will update the game fairly often, and in 12-18 months we'll see a multiplayer add-on/sequel :)

Yeah I can't wait for the multi-player mod. This game already has so much promise for such a modest price. I can't wait til I see some total conversions. I would like to see a cyber punk mod done.

I am enjoying this game immensely. Great old-fashioned dungeon crawling, monster slaying, level-upping goodness. But I made the mistake of teaching my girlfriend how to play. Now she's more addicted to it than I am!

Just completed final level of main maze.

Yes, I died like 6 times; thank God I didn't waste my money and was able to afford respawning in place every time. I have a 450+ revolver, 400+ axe, 90% protection on all elements and maxed out my slash, dual wield, etc... and still died 6 times.

I guarantee, you'll be sh*ting bricks when you get there.

Just completed final level of main maze.

Yes, I died like 6 times; thank God I didn't waste my money and was able to afford respawning in place every time. I have a 450+ revolver, 400+ axe, 90% protection on all elements and maxed out my slash, dual wield, etc... and still died 6 times.

I guarantee, you'll be sh*ting bricks when you get there.

I only died twice using playing an alchemist. The trick is to pull him to the area where you zone into the area, that way you don't get swarmed by the skeletons. At least they didn't come after me there. There's plenty of room to kite him and hit and run. Is it cheating? I don't know, but every time I went into the huge room I died.

I only died twice using playing an alchemist. The trick is to pull him to the area where you zone into the area, that way you don't get swarmed by the skeletons. At least they didn't come after me there. There's plenty of room to kite him and hit and run. Is it cheating? I don't know, but every time I went into the huge room I died.

Yeah, that was my prob. I was in the main room when I got swarmed. Sticking to the perimeter seemed to do the trick.