Torchlight - Awesome Diablo Clone Now Out!

I gotta stop coming to this thread, I want to play this game badly but I don't have the time that I have to put for other things. Game looks cool though.

Has anyone beaten the main story line yet? I think I'm at floor 25 or 26 and it seems like it is getting close to the end. It is getting very difficult though. I have to do a lot more kiting.

I'm playing the alchemist and I'm on floor like 24 or so. It's really not that hard for me on "normal" difficulty. I am using some really powerful skills and my pet does group heal twice so I think that is helping quite a bit. Plus I'm wearing heavy armor so I'm taking relatively low damage.

I downloaded Torchlight off of Steam yesterday, and it captivated me for the rest of the evening. Awesome Diablo clone. And by clone I do mean CLONE. It is almost as if the developers were sitting around and said "Diablo was popular, so is WoW... if only we can release something that combines the two and comes out before Diablo 3."

Well, here we are with Torchlight.

Even the scrolls of town portal and identify are reminiscent of the Diablo series.

Anyway, if you are looking for a new one this one is really good. And the price isn't bad at all. I got it off of Steam for $18.

Cool, thnx for the heads-up.. gotta check this out!

Looks like a kiddie game to me. I think I'll pass. Besides, D3 is just around the bend.

1) I'd guess that most people playing Torchlight are probably more mature than you.

2) Diablo 3 is not coming this or next year. Extremely long bends?

VMware wont work either. i guess ill try Crossover.

It would only work in safe mode for me (VMWare) but Crossover works GREAT (most settings maxed out). I will most likely pick up the mac version when it comes out (just for the sake of having it ;) ) but really Crossover works good enough

Looks like a kiddie game to me. I think I'll pass. Besides, D3 is just around the bend.

No, it's not. Doesn't appear it will even hit 2010, and we're not even there yet...

Have fun waiting though. :yes:

This is anything BUT a kiddy game.

It's got gore and a whole bunch of stuff.

Your loss.. if you miss this 20 dollar steal of a game. Diablo 3 isn't "just around the bend", blizzard has said Diablo 3 isn't coming in 2010,.. it's supposed to be coming in 2011...

Even then, Torchlight has an infinite dungeon after you beat the game so you can keep playing and playing and playing and playing ...

Here's the thing:

Torchlight was made to be modded.

If you miss out on this, you'll miss out on a game that was made for a community of gamers who want to make a game better and bigger.. there are TONS of people already actively trying to make it better..

DO NOT pass this game up because you think it looks kiddy.

The hard difficulties are kicking my ***, and I played hardcore mode on Diablo 1 and Diablo 2..

----

Here's a notice for everyone who has the game:

BE WARNED: Enchanting your weapon on the enchanting shrines OR the guy who can enchant your weapons, has a chance to remove ALL of your enchants from ANYTHING you enchant... including set items or uniques.

You have been warned.

I had an AWESOME rifle... until a enchant shrine removed all of the enchantings on it.

It's not working for me.

I downloaded the demo off Steam, I'm running Windows XP SP3, and each time I try to start the game from Steam I get an error about some VC++ run-time environment.

HELP ME:(. I removed the game, and downloaded it again, and uninstalled the run-time and install it again. Didn't work, same damn error. DirectX is updated as well.

Anyone?

It's not working for me.

I downloaded the demo off Steam, I'm running Windows XP SP3, and each time I try to start the game from Steam I get an error about some VC++ run-time environment.

HELP ME:(. I removed the game, and downloaded it again, and uninstalled the run-time and install it again. Didn't work, same damn error. DirectX is updated as well.

Anyone?

http://forums.runicgames.com/

Here's a notice for everyone who has the game:

BE WARNED: Enchanting your weapon on the enchanting shrines OR the guy who can enchant your weapons, has a chance to remove ALL of your enchants from ANYTHING you enchant... including set items or uniques.

You have been warned.

I had an AWESOME rifle... until a enchant shrine removed all of the enchantings on it.

That sucks. I haven't had any enchant break an item yet, I guess maybe I've been lucky. I've had a few that did nothing, but no problems other than that.

Any one having better luck with set items than me? I've gotten all kinds of set pieces, but never more than 1 for the same set, it's kind of irritating. I don't know how many times you'd have to play through the game to get all of the set pieces for an 8 item set. You mentioned that the game is meant to be modded so maybe someone will make a mod that will make set pieces have a higher drop rate. :laugh:

I love having a revolver that shoots 100+ damage and having a sword that causes 400+ in the other hand.

I laughed when I first did battle with the gun, I found myself hitting "R" a lot to try and reload.

I had a chest set-piece that got pwned by the Enchanter :(

If it increases 5 stats, and the enchanter causes all the stats to be loss, the most you can ever hope for is 1 stat from trying a re-enchant.

I don't consider 1.5+ years just around the bend.

Check out the demo, and decide if you still think it is a kiddie game.

Why does stylized cellshaded graphics mean "kiddie?"

So comic books are just for kids now?

Anyway you can't go by the screenshots. When you're actually playing it looks much better, and you really don't pay much attention to the graphics anyway (though they are amazing) because the game is so much fun to play.

Developers have released news that the Enchantment guy has an 8% chance to fail on enchants and Enchant Shrines have an 2%.

Meaning: If you use em, they won't enchant 8% and 2% respectively. The chances of failure and wiping stats, are completely random.

Someone has released a mod where it removes the wipe stat aspect, but it makes it so you can only get one additional socket from there on out, so it's a trade out.

I think I'll keep the "wipe" stat. I like gambling with that in mind.

My main toon is looking quite well statted right now, though she needs more magic (3 more levels worth!) to use the belt she got (I've included it in the screenshot so you can see all the gear she has):

2a9rxbk.png

Absolutely loving this game, best money I ever spent. To the poster who said it looks kiddie, looks can be deceiving I was pleasantly surprised and as such have been playing for well over 15hrs now since it got released and I still haven't finished the main quest. Not bad for a 'kiddie' game IMO

Developers have released news that the Enchantment guy has an 8% chance to fail on enchants and Enchant Shrines have an 2%.

Meaning: If you use em, they won't enchant 8% and 2% respectively. The chances of failure and wiping stats, are completely random.

Someone has released a mod where it removes the wipe stat aspect, but it makes it so you can only get one additional socket from there on out, so it's a trade out.

I think I'll keep the "wipe" stat. I like gambling with that in mind.

My main toon is looking quite well statted right now, though she needs more magic (3 more levels worth!) to use the belt she got (I've included it in the screenshot so you can see all the gear she has):

Where are you seeing mods at?

I'll definitely be picking this up. I downloaded the demo yesterday from Steam and ended up playing it for about 5 hours. This game is a lot of fun. There's so much to keep you interested, even though it's just a dungeon crawler at the base level.