[Feedback requested] Atlas take two, who likes black?

Well that's sucks then if can't even add an option for it like current has... I'd rather spend time reading then scrolling. ohwell. Guess we'll have to waste our own time and do it with stylish or something.

There was a fun previous discussion about why this is, but it's mainly a design restriction (it won't work properly at other widths, and no, redesigning it to do so isn't the point), and imo it's also good practise for text heavy sites (very long lines are less readable).

Colours: yes there will be a variety, and there's more than one "black/grey" version.

imo it's also good practise for text heavy sites (very long lines are less readable).

That's a personal thing, short lines are less readable than long lines to me, for other people it's the opposite.

That's a personal thing, short lines are less readable than long lines to me, for other people it's the opposite.

Well, it's not exactly a "personal" thing only, since research has been done on the matter. The issue is generally about losing your place in the text. Of course I do agree that it varies per person, but as a rule there is are upper and lower bounds to ideal line length for almost all people.

Anyway, lots of interesting reading if you Google "ideal line length".

Well that's sucks then if can't even add an option for it like current has... I'd rather spend time reading then scrolling. ohwell. Guess we'll have to waste our own time and do it with stylish or something.

Well if you're looking at a website such as this it isn't wasting your time, it's free time anyway so you've got nothing to lose.

Well if you're looking at a website such as this it isn't wasting your time, it's free time anyway so you've got nothing to lose.

Well if i had to spend time trying to make it more ideal to read instead of having a screen full of dead space and excessive scrolling which could quite simply be avoided adding either option or designing differently it's bothersome waste of time like imagine buying a graphics card you had to solder the power connections into place and attach the heat sink when it's obvious other manufacturers do it for you and a lot easier and straight forward. The point I'm trying to make essentially is i would like to view the main page in a reasonable width which makes reading a lot easier and better laid out as a minimum 1000px or wider. Same reason the forum will not be 980 odd pixels wide.

Mr. Parker are we getting closer to a date in January that you could give us to look forward to? Like are we getting it with the return of Chuck on the 11th or perhaps the return of Jack Bauer on 17th, maybe even the release of Mass Effect 2 on the 26th?

Mr. Parker are we getting closer to a date in January that you could give us to look forward to? Like are we getting it with the return of Chuck on the 11th or perhaps the return of Jack Bauer on 17th, maybe even the release of Mass Effect 2 on the 26th?

Neobond mentioned CES in IRC a few weeks ago

Chuck's coming back? Yeppe, I didn't know that. A lot of things to look forward to next year!

I love the new front page layout, especially with how the categories will be. However, I'm not a fan of the color scheme simply because in comparison to Finity, it appears to be kind of "stale". Neowin's current color scheme is vibrant, sleek, and professional. The new Atlas blue isn't bad at all, it's good, but I just prefer Finity's colors.

^ +1.

I'm in the minority I guess, but I prefer the blue one.

The black one is sexy and all, but it's too dark...

Ditto. The ads don't look good at all in the black theme (everything is dark, vs. the ads, which are rather bright). But I can see myself using the dark theme at night, or any time when the ambient light in the room is poor. But yeah, I've never been a "dark theme" sort of person.

Way ahead of you ;)

:woot:

Don't forget, it has themes. Don't like blue? Try green! (et cetera)

Having said that, yes, it's not that vibrant, but it could be kinda different with "active" content.

Don't forget, it has themes. Don't like blue? Try green! (et cetera)

Having said that, yes, it's not that vibrant, but it could be kinda different with "active" content.

I know it'll have different color options, but I'm sure they'll look just as dull.

^ +1.

Ditto. The ads don't look good at all in the black theme (everything is dark, vs. the ads, which are rather bright). But I can see myself using the dark theme at night, or any time when the ambient light in the room is poor. But yeah, I've never been a "dark theme" sort of person.

:woot:

This does not really matter if you are a Subscriber2 being that there are no ads.

This does not really matter if you are a Subscriber2 being that there are no ads.

For people who aren't subscribers though it is still important that it looks right. I am sure the design will be tweaked anyway, so its no big deal.