''Burj Dubai'' The tallest building of the world

1) Giant waste of money

2) It's ugly

3) It would totally suck if you were on the top floor during a fire and couldn't use the elevator

Well put. It's just another ****ing contest between irrelevant nations looking for grandeur. The lump of concrete in Taiwan is another example.

It wont be as tall as the sum of height of all these images lol

BTW its really gr8!

I dont think its waste , right now UAEs are surviving on petroleum reserves , the day it will end UAEs wont be as rich and will thus have economic crisis. To ensure that such thing doesnt occur , rulers are trying to improve the tourism sector , with this Dubai and others will become nice tourist attraction place and thus save UAEs.

There is a logic behind everything , palm desert + shopping centers and all are for the same purpose

It wont be as tall as the sum of height of all these images lol

BTW its really gr8!

I dont think its waste , right now UAEs are surviving on petroleum reserves , the day it will end UAEs wont be as rich and will thus have economic crisis. To ensure that such thing doesnt occur , rulers are trying to improve the tourism sector , with this Dubai and others will become nice tourist attraction place and thus save UAEs.

There is a logic behind everything , palm desert + shopping centers and all are for the same purpose

Mmm, the future for excessive luxury resorts look not that great. For the average joe vacationer dubai holds little value. Who wants to travel 1000's of miles to see some blocks of concrete in the sand?

Mmm, the future for excessive luxury resorts look not that great. For the average joe vacationer dubai holds little value. Who wants to travel 1000's of miles to see some blocks of concrete in the sand?

Architects would definitely want to visit there and so will rich celebs and all

BTW hats off to their engineers!

A desert is a very windy place , ahem i know this is not the right term , but i think u all get it. And standing a zenith reaching building there is itself a great challenge , further it is the tallest one too!

Like i said, not really a great future in view of the return on investment. If they'd used the same money building holiday resorts and landscaping the desert they'd have some change of getting money out of it.

As it stands, it's just a capital destruction on a never before seen scale.

BTW hats off to their engineers!

Ermmm no.... I don't think you clearly understand what a real Architect is meant to do.

Most Architects do not rate these types of buildings at all, it is not architectural in the slightest its just engineering. No respectable "architect" would rate this as good design, admittedly its clever engineering but that's it.

The thousands of Brits that go there every year seem to prove you wrong.

I've not even taken into account the Americans or other Europeans.

Ermmm no.... I don't think you clearly understand what a real Architect is meant to do.

Most Architects do not rate these types of buildings at all, it is not architectural in the slightest its just engineering. No respectable "architect" would rate this as good design, admittedly its clever engineering but that's it.

Agreed, and i'd add to that that most non Architects think it's an ugly heap of concrete which only serves as oneupmanship. It's as absurd as Saddams palaces and victory arches.

"I think it's ugly sp obviously everyone thinks it's ugly"

on that not though, PAris has a huge pile of ugly steel piled up, and millions come to look at that . I think they will do just fine.

@petrossa,

- Agreed. It's as absurd as the Eiffel Tower. Seriously, what is absurd is saying that those great pieces of engineering are absurd or useless.

"I think it's ugly sp obviously everyone thinks it's ugly"

on that not though, PAris has a huge pile of ugly steel piled up, and millions come to look at that . I think they will do just fine.

It's not really a question of whether its ugly, aesthetics are only a small part of good design, and even less so in architecture. For architecture how we live and experience spaces is far more important.

Touch / smell / noise etc. are all vital in how we experience space too.

A simple example of this is a public square with seating - its not how many massive gold leafed chairs you can slap in the space, but instead how the seats are arranged and how it lets that space to be used - ultimately that will deem the success of that space.

I have never seen a single mention of how people live in/use this building, the only thing everyone bangs on about is "it's OMGfeet tall."