''Burj Dubai'' The tallest building of the world

@petrossa,

- Agreed. It's as absurd as the Eiffel Tower. Seriously, what is absurd is saying that those great pieces of engineering are absurd or useless.

I personally find the eiffeltower butt ugly, i find the pyramid at the Louvre an eyesore, ?and find on the whole megalomaniac structures which serves no purpose other than to say : mine is bigger than yours beyond infantile. What strikes me is that one finds the most hideous examples Asia and the Middle East.

Is it huge? Yes.

Is it beautiful? No, not really.

Would like to visit it? No, not really.

It's waste of money to attempt the greatest engineering feat in the world? I envy those who were able to participate in this project.

If they were looking for an engineering feat could have looked at providing drinking water to mass population that lives without it around the world. What about mass production and distribution of food for the under priviliged around the world.

A 818m high tower that does nothing for the future of the country as foreign contractors are involved in development of this structure and they will leave with the knowledge they acquired after it is finished. And when all the oil is gone, only thing left for them to show to their next generation will be an aging structure and huge bill to keep it standing.

Not it's about building a business and vacation center. about makign a fture for their nation after the oil.

And having grand stuff is what attracts people. Have you even seent he renderings of the final city around the towers and the fake islands, that complete living city package. a city of a new generation, a global center of commerce and entertainment. it's what's going to keep them alive after the oil.

They're oil sheiks, they're not stupid, they aren't building giant towers just to show off, sure that's part of the package, but it's not the goal to throw away billions to build giant empty buildings.

Yup ur rite, they are not stupid at all. They have enough IQ to copy others and just magnify it. Enuf said.

If they were looking for an engineering feat could have looked at providing drinking water to mass population that lives without it around the world. What about mass production and distribution of food for the under priviliged around the world.

A 818m high tower that does nothing for the future of the country as foreign contractors are involved in development of this structure and they will leave with the knowledge they acquired after it is finished. And when all the oil is gone, only thing left for them to show to their next generation will be an aging structure and huge bill to keep it standing.

That's what they are doing. 70% of the people in the country are workers form other nations, getting work on their oil rigs or getting work on these constructions. Very few oe these people are form rich western countries, most of them are poor people coming heir and living their making more money than they could ever dream of.

And through these projects not only are they giving more construction workers work, and providing for their own future. Their providing a huge future job market for thousands of people from nearby less fortunate countries who didn't have anything.

What good would it do them to give all their money away to help some random poor people for a few years, when instead they can provide a future for their entire nation and a solid job market for the whole region.

Yup you are right, they are not stupid at all. They have enough IQ to copy others and just magnify it. enough said.

by your comments, I'm not sure you know what IQ is.

btw, I fixed your sentence for you, so it looks like it was written by someone who knew real full words.

now show me the small version of the burj that they copied and enlarged.... oh wait.. you just didn't have a clue what you where saying, you just wanted to sound clever as you insulted some random Arab country you think is all terrorists.

That's what they are doing. 70% of the people in the country are workers form other nations, getting work on their oil rigs or getting work on these constructions. Very few oe these people are form rich western countries, most of them are poor people coming heir and living their making more money than they could ever dream of.

And through these projects not only are they giving more construction workers work, and providing for their own future. Their providing a huge future job market for thousands of people from nearby less fortunate countries who didn't have anything.

What good would it do them to give all their money away to help some random poor people for a few years, when instead they can provide a future for their entire nation and a solid job market for the whole region.

Although I agree they didn't copy it you are highly mis understood if you believe the workers are getting a good deal.

Many poor workers live in poverty in Duabi in disgusting camps, they get charged illegal transit / visa fees (?2,000) from terrible construction companies, then they work 60 hour weeks for ?100. They struggle to pay for living expenses, and takes them 3 years to pay off their illegal debts.

In conclusion, they get ripped off at the start then have to work 3 years before they can get away from the hell hole. Its more like free labour by taking advantage of poor foreigners.

Yes they "make" more money than they would at home, but like stated above - how much of that do they see... diddily squat.

Since this was all exposed most celebrities have actually pulled advertising deals and contracts with the developers.

EDIT: oh and some of them take such a huge gamble they actually sell most of their belongings at home and land to pay for the initial illegal "fees", because they get told they will earn far more than they eventually do get paid. Some peoples families actually starve to death as a result of these dealings.

BTW: You rarely see much of this reported as any press get arrested in Dubai for doing anything but brown nosing the country, it is illegal to say anything negative about the country. BBC did an undercover investigation that exposed a lot of it earlier in the year called "Slumdogs and Millionaires".

Edited by lt8480

Good point! True millions of people are living there. But I can assure you that you will only find handfull of construction and oil rig workers living in Dubai city. Most of them are occupying shanty towns (sometime also know as company accomodations) in surronding area. A construction labor makes between 300 USD to 80 USD a month, in many cases food and medical expenses have to come out of it. For some this may be more money they could ever dream of.

I doubt that mostly these towers remain vacant. Other than hotels and resturants other businesses hardly survive the high rents.

by your comments, I'm not sure you know what IQ is.

btw, I fixed your sentence for you, so it looks like it was written by someone who knew real full words.

Thanks buddy for the corrections, appretiated.

now show me the small version of the burj that they copied and enlarged.... oh wait.. you just didn't have a clue what you where saying, you just wanted to sound clever as you insulted some random Arab country you think is all terrorists.

I posted my opinion, nothing more nothing less. You are just trying to steer the discussion to another direction. I havent referenced any Arab country to terrorism. To me terrorism is just international media BS, how do I know... Well I am living in the Middle East, more specifically Saudi Arabia.

There are sure a lot of cry babies in this thread...

I for one would like to visit Dubai once they finish building more stuff. The indoor ski hill sounds like fun. :)

There are sure a lot of cry babies in this thread...

I for one would like to visit Dubai once they finish building more stuff. The indoor ski hill sounds like fun. :)

People expressing they don't like things is hardly being "cry babies" - especially as most of it is justified with good cause.

I think most people will agree its a fair and reasonable opinion to not agree with the exploitative actions of a corrupt country.

Actually, instead of building up we should be building down. That makes much more sense to me.

Actually, no. Why drill when you don't have to? Besides the conditions underground is no where comfortable. Fresh air? Natural light?

They may have the world tallest building but they're still a backward living country.

No they are not... you ****ing moron

Last time I went there people were friendlier and more open than the folks I met in California for your information... so if you are not informed about how people live there, please refrain from posting...

Not all of the middle east is a giant desert you know....

Mmm, the future for excessive luxury resorts look not that great. For the average joe vacationer dubai holds little value. Who wants to travel 1000's of miles to see some blocks of concrete in the sand?

Obviously, the idea here is not to rival Paris (which is in my opinion the most beautiful city in the world)... the big deal for them is to build a giant tourist attraction for future time when oil will be no more.

Ohhh... and did you know that they are planning to build an exact copy of Lyon there... look it up on Google. :)

A lot of jealous American is crying lol

I am sorry great sir, but most people who complained in this thread are not Americans... you know, other Occidental countries outside of the actual U.S. are not called Americains, but you might not know that unfortunately...

That's one tall building. It would be way cool to go to the top of it and throw out a water balloon.

For sure it will kill someone! Imagine the speed of the water balloon. :) wanna try it :)

I went to Dubai last winter and spent a couple weeks there after a medical conference. The scale of the Burj Dubai is impressive and the city as a whole has a unique feel to it. But I felt like everything was a version of Vegas that just didn't have the same appeal. Yet I disliked it for the same reason I dislike Vegas: everywhere you go you're reminded, in an exaggerated way, of the class separation that exists in the world today. It's the feeling I get whenever I go into a Panera Bread and see 25 clones wearing the same expensive North Face jackets. Oh wait, I'm one of them...

Obviously, the idea here is not to rival Paris (which is in my opinion the most beautiful city in the world)... the big deal for them is to build a giant tourist attraction for future time when oil will be no more.

Ohhh... and did you know that they are planning to build an exact copy of Lyon there... look it up on Google. :)

:blink: ?Lyon? Wow. Well from the structures already in place good taste is not dubai's strongest point.

Lyon has a river with a bridge and a hill with a church and that's about it. For the rest it's just a stinky run of the mill mostly concrete city. And icecold in the winter.

Let them build this:

menton1024.jpg

No they are not... you ****ing moron

Last time I went there people were friendlier and more open than the folks I met in California for your information... so if you are not informed about how people live there, please refrain from posting...

Not all of the middle east is a giant desert you know....

Please refrain from a personal attack against a member (ie you ****ing moron) because he merely stating his opinion.

So if you are not informed about Neowin Community Rules, please refrain from posting ...

:whistle:

Edited by Wanderermy