''Burj Dubai'' The tallest building of the world

Kudos to the engineers for the amazing feat achieved. Don't see it as a waste of money at all, just Dubai beefing up it's commercial and tourism sector, honestly don't understand why so many people would be hateful of that. Been to Dubai many times (lived in Bahrain ) and liked it alot - by far the most western, which is a good thing to a limited extent if you ask me, I'm fond of the subtle mix of local and western culture more, all in all shaping to be a great city - many would be jealous of as this thread has shown

yes I want to know more details about this and I think it should be called rotating not movable :D

the rooms can move, its just put into sections that can be removed at any time really.

Edited by Warboy

It seems all is not necessarily rosy in the emirate of Dubai .. money is tight even there!!

Shares hit by Dubai debt problems

European shares have been hit by concerns over Dubai's financial health, after a government-owned company asked for an extension on repaying its debts.

The UK's FTSE 100 index lost 3.2%, its biggest one-day fall since March, after Dubai World asked creditors to postpone upcoming repayments until May 2010.

Banks were hit particularly hard on concerns over Dubai's ability to pay back its debts.

The emirate has been badly affected by the global recession.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8381258.stm

The whole big buildings thing are getting old. When are the gonna start constructing super massive space stations?

And only have a few trained personnel and the ultra-rich visiting them? What would be the point in that?

• 5 weeks later...
surely one day all these buildings will bankrupt the country?

As many of the buildings only have a 30 year designed lifespan (very poor for large buildings)... unless the cities are "stable" economically by then it will most likely be that point. However if its not achieved sooner than that they will most likely pull from it sooner.