Brink (FPS)

no i meant like, when you had to look up and press the action button to make him climb up, and look down and press the action button to make him do a slide... these are implied actions, and the game can only hope that it did what you want it to do... what if you have 2 platforms which are too close to each other and your character does something you totally didnt want him to do... especially if you are in a hurry and you dont have time to 'eyeball' your next action

imho, the consoles have so many buttons anyway, they should have used dedicated 'high' and 'low' action buttons, i.e. climb/hang from/pull up/jump over and crawl/slide/let go/hide behind ...

if this is coming to the PC, then yeah i agree that the view-based context sensitivity would work, since the mouse is alot better at pointing and PC fps games are generally rigidly use the WSAD input...

It is indeed coming to the PC. And I understand what your saying about the issues with the console, sometimes you aren't going to have time to look around for your next action, your going to want to start running and decide you action on the move, something more easily done on PC than consoles. I feel it will still work well as you will be pointing in the direction you want to go (pointing high or low depending on whether you want to go over or under an object), but as you said this is much easier on PC than on consoles.

As for the Mirror's Edge effect, the problem with that is in Mirror's Edge, you had linear gameplay. There were only a couple possible paths within any area of the game. In Brink, virtually any object you see on screen can be used to jump over/slide under/climb, etc. Adding a Mirror's Edge effect would hardly help because its up to you to decide where you want to go and how you want to get there. Its too open to allow otherwise, its not like ME where you can simply ignore/run past enemies and be done with them. If you run past them they are likely to follow.

It is in a way, loadout has little to do with your class, but each class has special abilities that the other classes do not have/cannot do. Soldiers have charges they can lay to blow stuff up (sadly probably only set areas, like when he blows a hole in the wall to get to his team faster), or engineers who can repair stuff, like the crane. Granted that is about the extent of the classes we have seen, and they only appear to have 1 special ability over the other classes, but it does not seem to be a system where you level and increase those abilities, if thats what you mean.

Yeah that's typical Splash Damage style and exactly what I mean about the RTCW/W:ET referneces. However in those games the classes had more than 1 attribute to differ them. I really want a new game which focuses on this type of team work.

Unlike today where you still get class based multiplayer games, you can run off and do your own thing, the classic games like RTCW would require team work or you lose. For instance the beach map the first thing you needed was an engineer to blow the sea wall up. If nobody bothered to play engineer and all chose soldier or sniper, you spent the match on the beach. Whereas in TF2 you can play for hours on end in a CTF match where nobody has an interest in capturing the intel because everyone just runs around playing TDM for what should be a 15 min match or whatever.

If Brink is anything like those classic class based games I'm going to be a very happy Munky, as right now the only game which even comes close to them is Battlefield, and sitting around waiting on a new release in the series isn't fun (N) Competition ftw (Y)

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought the gameplay looked atrocious... I commented on Voodoo Extreme and was reading the Kotaku responses and everyone made it out to be the next big thing, but just didn't look fun at all to me.

It looks like a generic FPS that's trying to innovate the team-based multiplayer space by changing very little from what we've already seen before... much like the countless Tribes clones out there. It actually reminds me of Section 8 -- looks pretty, but doesn't play very well.

Unlike today where you still get class based multiplayer games, you can run off and do your own thing, the classic games like RTCW would require team work or you lose. For instance the beach map the first thing you needed was an engineer to blow the sea wall up. If nobody bothered to play engineer and all chose soldier or sniper, you spent the match on the beach. Whereas in TF2 you can play for hours on end in a CTF match where nobody has an interest in capturing the intel because everyone just runs around playing TDM for what should be a 15 min match or whatever.

If Brink is anything like those classic class based games I'm going to be a very happy Munky, as right now the only game which even comes close to them is Battlefield, and sitting around waiting on a new release in the series isn't fun (N) Competition ftw (Y)

That part above I bolded above is the exact scenario that made me fall in love with MP FPS's. It was so awesome playing that level and seeing someone (more often than not I tried to make sure it was me) blow up that wall so then everyone could push on. Was awesome for sure.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who thought the gameplay looked atrocious... I commented on Voodoo Extreme and was reading the Kotaku responses and everyone made it out to be the next big thing, but just didn't look fun at all to me.

It looks like a generic FPS that's trying to innovate the team-based multiplayer space by changing very little from what we've already seen before... much like the countless Tribes clones out there. It actually reminds me of Section 8 -- looks pretty, but doesn't play very well.

Cool so someone else that proves I am not crazy and to critical. I mean just in the very first video the gunplay looked so, so bad. The AI was not reacting at all to being shot, and it appeared as if you literally had to empty a clip into them and sometimes even then they would not go down.

And also call my unimpressed by the whole SMART thing. First there is the obvious Mirrors Edge has already done it, but second it looks like it is more or less pointless and just there for the sake of being there. I know they guy gave the example of avoiding the metal detector, etc., but yeah I was still not impressed.

Finally I just thought there was WAY to much sliding around. LOL

I am by no means writing this game off, in fact I am really, really into the whole 8 Player CoOp, I am however saying I saw nothing at all that floored me or made me think this an absolute must play. Right now it is at the "I will Rent it" stage for myself.

Whereas in TF2 you can play for hours on end in a CTF match where nobody has an interest in capturing the intel because everyone just runs around playing TDM for what should be a 15 min match or whatever.
That depends highly on the server. If you join a server running a map 24/7 with insta-respawn then yes, people will just run around playing TDM because they do not have to worry about the map time limits or anything. If you play a server running a normal rotation with normal map times (15-20 minute map limits) then you are going to get much more teamwork than on a 24/7 server.
Cool so someone else that proves I am not crazy and to critical. I mean just in the very first video the gunplay looked so, so bad. The AI was not reacting at all to being shot, and it appeared as if you literally had to empty a clip into them and sometimes even then they would not go down.

Yeah, the guy was emptying a nearly full clip into a person from behind to kill them.....I can understand a light machine gun requiring more shots but nearly a full clip?

And also call my unimpressed by the whole SMART thing. First there is the obvious Mirrors Edge has already done it, but second it looks like it is more or less pointless and just there for the sake of being there. I know they guy gave the example of avoiding the metal detector, etc., but yeah I was still not impressed.

Finally I just thought there was WAY to much sliding around. LOL

I am by no means writing this game off, in fact I am really, really into the whole 8 Player CoOp, I am however saying I saw nothing at all that floored me or made me think this an absolute must play. Right now it is at the "I will Rent it" stage for myself.

The way I see it, this game is Mirror's Edge with much more gun play and multi-player. The SMART movement system is probably not required, but it in my opinion will make the game much more fun than if the game didn't have it. I personally hate being limited to the set map paths many FPS games utilize. I would much rather be able to move around the level how I want to. Imagine if MW2 had this type of movement system, being able to jump up on buildings in the city and fight from up there and what not, rather than just being limited to the ground.

As for the sliding around I agree with you, by doing that they gave the impression that you must slide around in order to get behind cover which will get very annoying very fast.

I feel the same way you do, it definitely looks fun and I will likely end up getting it, but its nothing on the scale of how fun AC or AC2 looked in their respective trailers.....its not one of those games (IMO) that you see the trailer and put it at the top of your GamesToBuy list.

It looks like a generic FPS that's trying to innovate the team-based multiplayer space by changing very little from what we've already seen before...

Don't fix it when it's working, eh ? ;)

They were one of the first developers to do class based games, it's not like they suddenly jumped on the bandwagon for the money.

Don't fix it when it's working, eh ? ;)

They were one of the first developers to do class based games, it's not like they suddenly jumped on the bandwagon for the money.

Who said it was working? Quake Wars and Section 8 are the two recent games most similar to this just based on what I've seen in the videos, and those didn't do too hot.

Splash Damage wasn't one of the first, don't fool yourself. They did well with Enemy Territory, don't get me wrong, but one of the first? Not by a long shot.

Quake Wars and Section 8 are the two recent games most similar to this

What the..?

There have been tons of class-based multiplayer games. Battlefields, TF2, CoD(maybe :D didn't really play it).

What the..?

There have been tons of class-based multiplayer games. Battlefields, TF2, CoD(maybe :D didn't really play it).

I think he means games with settings like Brink (i.e. dark and drab, or as Yahtzee would put it, "graphics that look like they've been dunked in dirty dishwater").

It did remind me of Killzone 2 for some reason. But still, another FPS...

Exactly why I'm not paying much attention to this one.

Killzone 2 level designer is working on this. That must be it, lol :p

But we've only seen like 1 map so far, usually the levels in SD games are pretty unique. Not the same setting over and over.

What the..?

Not to sound rude, but if you haven't played CoD, why list it?

And I said games most similar to this. Being class-based doesn't make it that similar.

Killzone 2 is class-based. Too bad that game is terrible

Could have been fantastic though with a less Team Fortress like system, a proper controller and a decent online community ... Should have been released on the 360 - Then it would have been a sweetheart of mine :p

I think the gimmick of KZ2's cover system as well as the "realistic handling" were its downfall. That made players spend too much time getting used to the controls than actually having fun.

This game made me hate the L2 button

I think the gimmick of KZ2's cover system as well as the "realistic handling" were its downfall. That made players spend too much time getting used to the controls than actually having fun.

This game made me hate the L2 button

The whole of KZ2 control system was not helped by a poor controller which isn't the best for FPS along with the stupid blur it had everytime you moved! I must say I did give it a change but it just didn't flow well for me but I am curious as to how this would have done on the 360, control wise!

Anyhow, back to Brink, need more videos to watch!

As for the Mirror's Edge effect, the problem with that is in Mirror's Edge, you had linear gameplay. There were only a couple possible paths within any area of the game. In Brink, virtually any object you see on screen can be used to jump over/slide under/climb, etc. Adding a Mirror's Edge effect would hardly help because its up to you to decide where you want to go and how you want to get there. Its too open to allow otherwise, its not like ME where you can simply ignore/run past enemies and be done with them. If you run past them they are likely to follow.

its not about linearity, its about context... unless they have the player movement so heavily tied into the physics that everything can be climbed onto, its still a neccessity to know which objects are valid gameplay elements and which are just decoration... its not like you will see the red with every step you take, but yeah there should be alot more than Mirror's Edge since Brink isnt linear...

• 3 months later...

It looks interesting, and sure, if they have a beta I'll give it a shot, but I'll reserve my reservations about it until it actually gets some reviews. Note: I am the BIGGEST Bethesda Softworks fan alive.. and I'm kind of excited to see them branching into new territory, but this just makes me go :blink:.

I'm holding my breath for it though.

It's a spiritual sequel to Quake Wars. Borderlands was dire and shant be uttered in the same breath. :p

Linked this to DM this morning, looks well cool. :D

borderlands is an amazing game

i thought bethesda were just hte publishers? so they arent branching into a shoot-em-up at all

im looking forward to this, however the shooting didnt look too amazing but this is supposedly pre-alpha - those trailers (cant be?)