Brink (FPS)

Note: I am the BIGGEST Bethesda Softworks fan alive.. and I'm kind of excited to see them branching into new territory, but this just makes me go :blink:.

It's not actually being developed by Bethesda, they're just the publisher. The game is being developed by Splash Damage, the guys behind Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (and a certain god-awful cross-over that shall not be named).

Saw some of the videos and it's looking really good. I just hope SD has redacted any memory of ever developing that one game and instead focuses on the past success of ET and translates that forward.

It's not actually being developed by Bethesda, they're just the publisher. The game is being developed by Splash Damage, the guys behind Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory (and a certain god-awful cross-over that shall not be named).

Saw some of the videos and it's looking really good. I just hope SD has redacted any memory of ever developing that one game and instead focuses on the past success of ET and translates that forward.

What are you on about?! ET:QW is GREAT! <3

Never played Quake Wars, but certainly ET was amazing and proved that you didn't need great graphics to make a good shooter :)

• 3 months later...

Now available on Steam for pre-order for ?29.99!

937478710.jpg

Kit out your Brink character with new and exclusive customization options. Containing an exclusive weapon, a new scope attachment, a slick combat mask, and a unique ?Dogtag? body tattoo, the Spec Ops Pack will put you amongst the Ark?s most elite warriors as you fight over the future of humanity?s last refuge.

• Exclusive weapon: the ?Hockler? Machine-Pistol
  • Exclusive ?GreenEye? Combat Optical Scope
  • Exclusive Security ?Sloani? Combat Mask
  • Unique Dogtag body tattoo

• 2 weeks later...

I hope it's not like borderlands - I literally do not understand the love that game gets because I thought it was incredibly poor.

Borderlands i awesome IMO. Multiplayer co-op is awesome. Seems like Brink is going to have something like that too.

Borderlands had horrid single-player, I couldn't even stand playing through the single-player campaign and I'm the kind of person that plays a game for its story not gameplay.

I loved the concept of borderlands (graphic style and what not) but I just didn't like the game itself at all for some reason.

That being said, I hope Brink does a lot better on its singleplayer (that is, if Brink has a singleplayer.....from the sound of it they are going for 8-player campaign with no single player, but bots and what not would at least allow a sort of singleplayer experience).

I'm assuming those videos are played using a PC with an Xbox360 controller? It showed 360 controller prompts but there's no way the 360 is pushing out those visuals....

That aside, I've been reluctant in pre-ordering this for the PC - predicting it would be just another multi-class cluster-f*ck of 14 year olds who can't spell 'teamwork' without 'X' and 'P'. However the objective system looks like a nice simple way to make that less of an issue.

'A++ Would pre-order again'

I'm assuming those videos are played using a PC with an Xbox360 controller? ?It showed 360 controller prompts but there's no way the 360 is pushing out those visuals....

Possibly, but the game is being released on PC, Xbox 360 and PS3 and assuming its a simultaneous release, its very possible that graphics are going to be the same (or at least very similar) across all platforms. If they were made on the PC though, what kind of idiot would use an xbox controller for a FPS though? They would quite literally have to be stupid to use an Xbox controller when they have a mouse and keyboard available for FPS games.

If they were made on the PC though, what kind of idiot would use an xbox controller for a FPS though? They would quite literally have to be stupid to use an Xbox controller when they have a mouse and keyboard available for FPS games.

To sell glossy visuals to children on a console that can't handle them? I hate to be cynical but that kind of slick acting wouldn't surprise me in the least in the gaming industry of today. However most of all - my thoughts are fueled by the fact that I haven't seen a game on the 360 in a while that wasn't a Vaseline coated jagged mess at a range of less than 5 feet.

Console hardware remains the same. 5 years old. Games need to progress, and developers today are mostly not only cheap but also lazy. Therefore, content continues to increase - whilst visuals and the like, rather conspicuously I might add, continue to decline.

That being said, I hope Brink does a lot better on its singleplayer (that is, if Brink has a singleplayer.....from the sound of it they are going for 8-player campaign with no single player, but bots and what not would at least allow a sort of singleplayer experience).

The singleplayer is just like a multiplayer botmatch in Brink based on everything I've read. People eagerly anticipating the game will tell you otherwise, but every preview I've read, all the videos of it... it's just a botmatch.

The singleplayer is just like a multiplayer botmatch in Brink based on everything I've read. People eagerly anticipating the game will tell you otherwise, but every preview I've read, all the videos of it... it's just a botmatch.

That's fine by me so long as the multiplayer is up to the same level of quality as Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory was back in the day. I'd rather have them just focus on multiplayer, as opposed to having them divert resources to a single-player campaign that would probably end up sucking anyways.

I just watched that developer diary video, and I don't really know what to make of it. The gunplay was nothing special, and the environments had a very Borderlands-esque look to them. I wish they would have shown us an entire match, rather than just a bunch of random cuts with people getting shot. I'm yearning for the same kind of team-based gameplay that ET had, and I'm hoping that Splash Damage can deliver. This is still on the "wait and see" list for me.

As long as there is some form of singleplayer with somewhat of a storyline I will be at least partway interested in it....hopefully they release a demo for the game.

That's fine by me so long as the multiplayer is up to the same level of quality as Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory was back in the day. I'd rather have them just focus on multiplayer, as opposed to having them divert resources to a single-player campaign that would probably end up sucking anyways.

I hope not, I prefer singleplayer it games, mostly because the only game released anytime recently that has held my interest has been TF2, but that gets to both highs and lows with me. Up until a few days ago, I hadn't bothered launching TF2 because I was so bored with it. But, a few days ago I got some free time, and decided to get back into it a bit. That being said, I doubt Brink will have multiplayer that I personally find more interesting than TF2, but I can usually only stand to play 1 multiplayer FPS at a time, leaving little room for Brink multiplayer.

I personally wish devs would focus more on singleplayer though, great gameplay with a crappy story is as bad as a good story with horrible gameplay. Story is as important to the fun a game offers than gameplay.

• 4 months later...

Trying to play Borderlands for a single-player story is like playing Left 4 Dead for a single-player story.

I personally loved Borderlands. One of the best coop games I've ever played.

I hate that this game, and many others today, still continue to FORCE you to be a male. ESPECIALLY when they boast about heavy character customization. Customization should always include gender as well. All the silly customization options in the world don't matter one bit if I don't want to play as a GUY to begin with.

I hate that this game, and many others today, still continue to FORCE you to be a male. ESPECIALLY when they boast about heavy character customization. Customization should always include gender as well. All the silly customization options in the world don't matter one bit if I don't want to play as a GUY to begin with.

Their choice was in-depth customization for male characters or general customization for male and female characters. Unfortunately, they went with the former option and I can understand their decision. Brink is a game about customization. Everything from changing your appearance (fat vs. skinny) to changing what attatchments you have for your gun (scope vs. scope + silencer) affects your characters stats.