Brink (FPS)

The game looks fun, but why do developers these days insist on that god awful weapon bob? It looks so stupid. Hopefully it's been toned down in newer builds of the game.
You should be able to turn it off in the *.cfg file. I know you could with ET:QW, no reason why you shouldn't be able to here.
I hate that this game, and many others today, still continue to FORCE you to be a male. ESPECIALLY when they boast about heavy character customization. Customization should always include gender as well. All the silly customization options in the world don't matter one bit if I don't want to play as a GUY to begin with.
This point was covered in various interviews with the developing team. Basically, you could have male and female models but with fewer customization options. Or just male just a ton of customize options. They decided to go with the latter. Perhaps they will add female model in a DLC or something.

• 2 weeks later...

That was amazing! It's about damn time they released a new trailer. I'm really looking forward to playing this game.

Their choice was in-depth customization for male characters or general customization for male and female characters. Unfortunately, they went with the former option and I can understand their decision. Brink is a game about customization. Everything from changing your appearance (fat vs. skinny) to changing what attatchments you have for your gun (scope vs. scope + silencer) affects your characters stats.

Does appearance have anything to do with in-game abilities? If not I can't wait to make a character as fat as possible just so I can laugh at what he can do at that weight with the S.M.A.R.T movement system....

This game looks so fun, I like what this game and the crysis 2 multiplayer are doing with movement, fps games need more innovation in that area.

so... it's Team Fortress all over again? :blink:

Besides a [slightly] similar art style this game looks nothing like tf2.

Does appearance have anything to do with in-game abilities? If not I can't wait to make a character as fat as possible just so I can laugh at what he can do at that weight with the S.M.A.R.T movement system....

Heavy characters can't use SMART at all I believe.

Appearance has everything to do with your character's abilities. As for being fat, I don't think that's possible. All the characters we've seen so far are muscular. A heavy character, however, is quite large and can take a lot of damage but can't move as fat as a medium or light character. Also, non-heavy characters can't use heavy weapons.

so... it's Team Fortress all over again? :blink:

Only if you consider every FPS released after TF2 to be "TF all over again".

Appearance has everything to do with your character's abilities. As for being fat, I don't think that's possible. All the characters we've seen so far are muscular. A heavy character, however, is quite large and can take a lot of damage but can't move as fat as a medium or light character. Also, non-heavy characters can't use heavy weapons.

Awesome, I'll have to watch both videos again with sound (don't have sound here), but that sounds great. As for "fat" I just went off the fat vs skinny comparison you made. Sounds great though that the game will balance abilities around character looks. While it seems like a bit of a hassle to build a character in the beginning towards certain abilities and be unable to change him later, I am perfectly fine with forgoing heavy weapons if it means I can jump and run around maps with no trouble and get around enemies and what not.

Sounds like GTA:SA (physical attributes affect abilities), mixed with a bit of FPS and RPG. Will be a great game if it works out as well as it sounds so far...

• 1 month later...

New screenshots: http://www.pcgames.de/Brink-PC-232019/News/Brink-Hands-on-Test-zum-Ego-Shooter-Eine-gelungene-Verschmelzung-von-Single-und-Multiplayer-Modus-813886/galerie/1494502/

I'm really surprised at the fact that it's using id Tech 4 (aka the Doom 3 engine). I'm sure they had their reasons for using it over id Tech 5 which is being used in Rage.

please can you sum up the general consensus of the previews?

is it looking good or bad?

Everyone loves it. I tend not to pay too much attention to would be reviewers. I'm picky when it comes to games.

Invasion of the Brink Hands-on Previews

FYI, it only has eight maps... :(

I'm not too worried about that, so long as they're all well done. Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory only had six maps back in the day, but they were all so good that I still managed to sink hours upon hours into the game. Hopefully this is the same way.

I skimmed through the Eurogamer and VG247 reviews, and they both sound promising. I have a lot of faith in Splash Damage. I didn't care for Quake Wars, but those developers will always be awesome in my eyes just for Wolf:ET.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a great interview that showcases some of the things that separates this game from traditional first-person shooters:

Weakened grenades and lack of one-shot sniper kills is a plus. Two things that annoy me to death in FPS games are random grenade kills and one-shot sniper kills. I'm so glad that Splash Damage took the time to re-evaluate the FPS formula. They looked at what ****ed people off and what usually turns away prospective players.

Here's a great interview that showcases some of the things that separates this game from traditional first-person shooters:

Weakened grenades and lack of one-shot sniper kills is a plus. Two things that annoy me to death in FPS games are random grenade kills and one-shot sniper kills. I'm so glad that Splash Damage took the time to re-evaluate the FPS formula. They looked at what ****ed people off and what usually turns away prospective players.

Damn the engine shows its age. That being said I'm still looking forward to it.

It's good to hear that snipers and grenades are not one hit kill.

Damn the engine shows its age. That being said I'm still looking forward to it.

It's good to hear that snipers and grenades are not one hit kill.

The only thing that stood out to me were the explosions. I guess that's the best they could do given the engine they're using (id Tech 4 aka the Doom 3 engine).

The only thing that stood out to me were the explosions. I guess that's the best they could do given the engine they're using (id Tech 4 aka the Doom 3 engine).

I noticed the explosions and the death animations, although it is an old engine and looks quite good considering.