There are a lot of similarities between my life and many of my friends' lives. But to say we're ripping one another off is a bit of a stretch ;) Avatar isn't a blatant rip-off of any of those movies, although it obviously does have a general similarity that you've mentioned. But it's a storyline that makes sense, so I really don't see anything wrong with it.

It's not a rip off, it's just telling the same story on a different environment. It has been used so many times in so many movies that it's not even surprising to see yet another instance.

And that's ok, because the only thing it seems to be promising is being visually stunning, and that's what it delivers.

It's not like he went into it thinking "alright, let's make Dances with Wolves... in space!"

Or maybe he did. Why not?

It's not a rip off, it's just telling the same story on a different environment. It has been used so many times in so many movies that it's not even surprising to see yet another instance.

Exactly. It's one of those universal themes and it appeals to people. Guess what? I bet we'll see it again one day too.

saw Avatar today. It was good..Graphics were great.. but story wise wasn't that great.. I kept on asking myself.. what's next that is going to WOW me.. pretty much nothing.. I saw everything coming.. I guess I wanted more twists in movies now. For an example District 9 was an awesome movie. I loved it. Avatar however... is really meh. I like it.. but it's nothing incredible.

Avatar has now passed the 1 billion mark for worldwide ticket sales, it's now 4th, beating out the Dark Knight by approx. 16 million.

EDIT: Here is a list of the top 10 in worldwide ticket sales:

uq70w.png

Having seen it twice in IMAX 3D with middle and center seating this film is nothing short of extraordinary. You can tell A LOT of heart, soul and dedicated time was put into this masterpiece. Never have I seen anything as impressive as "Avatar" before. Cameron develops 'Pandora' as a whirlpool that swallows you whole with its immersion. The amount of detail and thought gone into this picture is absolutely monstrous. 3D is utilized to aid this effect and not just tacked on as a gimmick. Does it matter about the somewhat prosy plot? Not in the slightest. An adventure like no other.

I only saw it in normal 3D, but I agree with your excellent review.? (Y)

Avatar has now passed the 1 billion mark for worldwide ticket sales, it's now 4th, beating out the Dark Knight by approx. 16 million.

http://i46.tinypic.com/uq70w.png

As it's just in its third week it will pass the other two and take 2nd slot after Titanic (maybe in time come close, but I don't think it will surpass it). Then Cameron with his two latest movies 12 years apart, have the two top slots for most income-bringing movies. That is quite an accomplishment, especially considering that both movies where met with some skepticism before launch.

I will definitely see it a third time soon. This is absolutely a wholly satisfying cinematic experience. I saw both in 3D and 2D. And I can say that in both cases the film looks amazing. Can't wait for this to get out on Blu-Ray.

I'm happy it will be pass ROTK soon. That was such a tedious movie, I remember.

hilarious image

I loled.

I went to see Avatar in 3D at the weekend. It was visually spectacular, but the every turn in the plot had weak premise and it felt like characters were making decisions for the sake of the script.

rating_3.gif

uq70w.png

I think it's the #2 or #3 movie of all time right now?

Thought this'd happen. Not entirely sure it'll become the highest, but it's still fantastic for Cameron.

We'll see if it hits #1, it just needs about $712 million to do so. The numbers are from Jan. 6th, so come Monday we'll get a new number.

Thought this'd happen. Not entirely sure it'll become the highest, but it's still fantastic for Cameron.

That's amazing that Cameron will have the two highest of all time. I suspect Cameron can pretty much make whatever kind of movies he wants to now.

That's amazing that Cameron will have the two highest of all time. I suspect Cameron can pretty much make whatever kind of movies he wants to now.

After Titanic and the amount of money that went into this one I'd say he already had that license ;)

Here is a good article to check out, "Why 'Avatar' Could Out-Earn 'Titanic'":

It's been in theaters for three weekends and director James Cameron's Avatar is still going like gangbusters. Its billion-dollar (and counting) worldwide gross makes it a shoo-in as the all-time second-highest-grossing film, but can it topple the current No. 1, Cameron's Titanic? Forecasting is a tricky business, and, as with that last Cameron film, analysts are wary of guessing at Avatar's future. It won't eclipse Titanic in raw ticket numbers, but there's a good chance that if Avatar can sustain its holiday-season momentum, it could be well on its way to the biggest-ever worldwide gross (unadjusted for inflation). Here are six factors that could help push the otherworldly epic into the top spot:

http://www.newsweek.com/id/229545

It won't eclipse Titanic in raw ticket numbers, but there's a good chance that if Avatar can sustain its holiday-season momentum, it could be well on its way to the biggest-ever worldwide gross (unadjusted for inflation)

So even if Avatar does pass Titanic, it will be #1 with an asterisk?

I just got back from seeing this, amazing flick, and if your local cinema supports it, watch it in 3D... friggin awesome..

for the record, I only watched titanic to see the boat sink, and see kate winslet get naked lol....

So even if Avatar does pass Titanic, it will be #1 with an asterisk?

Only if you give every movie to ever earn the number one ranking an asterisk because of inflation.