Updated mockups of Firefox 4.0 for Windows

I guess I might have to get used to tabs above the address bar. Always liked them more bellow so hopefully they can be moved while still allowing everything to look nice.

I guess I might have to get used to tabs above the address bar. Always liked them more bellow so hopefully they can be moved while still allowing everything to look nice.

People, please read the blog post before typing responses.

This is covered. Hell, it's even got individual mockups.

I really think they should merge the location and search bars as previously suggested though, keeping the search engine logo to the right of the bar to show they are merged. That idea really does make sense to me, especially after seeing how it works so well in Chrome.

I really think they should merge the location and search bars as previously suggested though, keeping the search engine logo to the right of the bar to show they are merged. That idea really does make sense to me, especially after seeing how it works so well in Chrome.

I much prefer them remaining separate, personally.

I don't agree at all. I have 4 different engines in the search bar (Google, IMDB, Chambers and Wikipedia) and this leads to context menu search ability. I resent the thought of the search bar disappearing :(

Ugghhh, what is it with everything looking like chrome now? No thanks. FF now, and even Opera as well? Are the UI designers out of new ideas?

Ugghhh, what is it with everything looking like chrome now? No thanks. FF now, and even Opera as well? Are the UI designers out of new ideas?

They're just copying what's popular right now.

Remember when the iPhone first came out, and now every new phone has a touchscreen, apps and looks like the iPhone?

First off ^^^^ Seriously

Second off . honestly i feel that the Firefox 4.0 Windows theme is getting back to the more squared off theme I prefer more of a rounded approach however i am not sure how well that will work.

Chrome is very space efficient, it's design from a user standpoint suits a multitude of resolutions where as when you load firefox by default you've got the buttons bar, tab bar, bookmark bar all taking up a good inch+.

It doesn't look like Chrome, it looks like Windows. Secondly, if nobody ever copied anybody else we wouldn't have half of the amazing software we have today....including Windows, so I don't see what the big deal is.

If you would suggest a better way for them to maximize the vertical space other than placing the tabs on top of the search bar, I'm sure they would love to hear about it. They haven't combined the search box with the address bar. Everything else they either already had or they have improved upon Chrome's implementation. I especially think the Firefox button is a brilliant way of reducing space further, though I do like the button with just the firefox icon better (as shown at the source link).

I don't agree at all. I have 4 different engines in the search bar (Google, IMDB, Chambers and Wikipedia) and this leads to context menu search ability. I resent the thought of the search bar disappearing :(

Have you ever used "Keyword For Search". I can't see any point in having search bar when using that.

OH don't start that rubbish. It obviously doesn't look like chrome.

Have you ever used "Keyword For Search". I can't see any point in having search bar when using that.

As it stands, I can write custom search engine entries for sites that I use. It works for me rather well. Address Bar and Search Bar are different, so I prefer to keep them separate. No harm, no foul.

It's pretty funny how developers are struggling with the menu bar location on Windows. Microsoft really dropped the ball on this one starting with Windows Vista. Luckily the Mac OS X version won't have this problem.

man I think that looks awesome. Can't wait for that version to ship. The orange looks nice and sets it apart from others.

BTW is it just me or does that font look REALLY good in the screenshot? It looks different. Not like normal

This Updated mockup of Firefox 4.0 is this Actually what the people working on Firefox are planning?

Or is this mockup just from some normal everyday guy showing what he wishes firefox would look like?

I must say it sure does look pretty :)

Anyone know?

BTW is it just me or does that font look REALLY good in the screenshot? It looks different. Not like normal

Probably because they made the mock-up in Photoshop, which can use a different kind (more Mac OS X-like) of anti-aliassing than Windows.

This Updated mockup of Firefox 4.0 is this actuly what the people working on Firefox are planning?

Or is this mockup just from some normal everyday guy showing what he hope firefpx will look like?

Anyone know?

Stephen Horlander is one of the UI designers for Firefox.

So yes, this is what the Firefox developers are actually aiming for.

It's pretty funny how developers are struggling with the menu bar location on Windows. Microsoft really dropped the ball on this one starting with Windows Vista.

Dropped it how? By trying to move away from using ugly menus? :s

I really want to know what font they are using in that screenshot. I would LOVE to force my firefox to use that font.

I like some of the variations of the "apps button" too.

Fx-4.0-Mockup-Win7-i03-AppButton-Variations.png

Does anyone know if Firefox 4.0 Bookmarks will be more like Favorites in IE8 browser?

What I mean is in IE8 when you click on the Favorites button in IE8 it allow you to use the scroll wheel to look at your Favorites.

I think this works and looks nicer then the way the current Firefox and even Chorme have it.

man I think that looks awesome. Can't wait for that version to ship. The orange looks nice and sets it apart from others.

The content area is a screenshot taken from a mac (The text is rendered using CoreText + Quartz)

The chrome area is photoshop + screenshots from a PC running Vista or 7.