Intel, Nintendo Collaborating on New Console?

Interesting if true:

What better way to kick off a new week than to crank up the rumor mill? PC and console gamers alike may take interest in the new supposed "inside scoop" related to Nintendo, as Japan's Impress Watch provides an interesting addition to the recent mutterings of a new console. According to the Japanese site, Intel and Nintendo are in talks about that very subject: the successor to the Wii.

The article's author, Hiroshige Goto, reports that Intel is trying to push Nintendo into using its Larrabee graphics processor. Despite various reports speculating that Nintendo will cough up an HD Wii this year or early next year (2011), Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime already stated that the company doesn't add to existing hardware (despite the Nintendo DS revision to the current DSi model).

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Intel-Nintendo...,news-5438.html

Despite various reports speculating that Nintendo will cough up an HD Wii this year or early next year (2011), Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime already stated that the company doesn't add to existing hardware (despite the Nintendo DS revision to the current DSi model).

How is Nintendo's refusal to add HD capabilities to the Wii relevant to the successor of the Wii? Journalists...

Honestly if Nintendo doesn't get their act together i will not purchase their next console / mobile device. I love the Wii however there are only like 10 games so far on it that I have actually wanted to play. and the DS is a LOT of kids games with stupid gimmicks.

I doubt it. Nintendo went with ATI twice already, once with the GameCube and again with the Wii.

Honestly if Nintendo doesn't get their act together i will not purchase their next console / mobile device. I love the Wii however there are only like 10 games so far on it that I have actually wanted to play. and the DS is a LOT of kids games with stupid gimmicks.

+1 on that The only games that were worth the time where the exclusives...I'm tired of all the gimmicks...and games based on one or two movements on the Wii/ one or two concepts on the DS.... just give me a good game...I will play it...

this is getting off topic, but Nintendo (Wii and DS) appeals best to the average person... not the Neowin nerds that love gaming, computer hardware and technology. Most Wii games feature mindless entertainment. it's not for me.

this is getting off topic, but Nintendo (Wii and DS) appeals best to the average person... not the Neowin nerds that love gaming, computer hardware and technology. Most Wii games feature mindless entertainment. it's not for me.

Thats where gaming on your PC arrives to save the day ;)

I doubt it somehow - they'll most likely go with IBM and ATi again just like before. Knowing Nintendo, they'll want to keep a very similar architecture as the Wii and GCN, just super powered up. This would ensure backwards compatibility once again.

I agree, wii is for kids not hardcore gamers. And Nintendo wasn't like that with the 64 and cube, some of the best games were on cube and 64.... can't say the same on the Wii... The only reason I play wii is for guitar hero and GH is on all consoles AND pc...

Wii are for kids and not for hardcore gamers. The games are just a gimmick.

Aren't hardcore gamers mostly kids, though? I know I certainly don't have time to play games all day long.

Gimmick? What do you mean?

Aren't hardcore gamers mostly kids, though?

Hardcore gamers are mostly teenagers and kids. It's funny that they try to pass the Wii off as being "kiddy" since more adults are interested in the Wii than any other console.

Really, I think they're referring to the games becoming a bit more simplistic and the content being less offensive therefore making the game appealing to a larger demographic.

The funny thing is, most of the "hardcore" games aren't even that good and are often accused of being cookie-cutter games.

Nintendo is no longer an official gaming console competitor. They are the ******** for Disney and other licensed garbage games to dump themselves on, and it caters to a lame attempt to get females and elders/toddlers to "get into gaming". This isn't gaming, Nintendo, this is interactive TV with a few wand-waving gimmicks that no serious or self-respecting gamer cares about anymore.

Edited by GreyWolfSC

Hardcore gamers are mostly teenagers and kids. It's funny that they try to pass the Wii off as being "kiddy" since more adults are interested in the Wii than any other console.

Only immature 'gamers' who measure their gamer-penis by how many hours they can waste watching cutscenes and inflating their fragging trophies call it kiddy. The rest of us who have lives call it 'fun'.

Really, I think they're referring to the games becoming a bit more simplistic and the content being less offensive therefore making the game appealing to a larger demographic.

The funny thing is, most of the "hardcore" games aren't even that good and are often accused of being cookie-cutter games.

Only immature 'gamers' who measure their gamer-penis by how many hours they can waste watching cutscenes and inflating their fragging trophies call it kiddy. The rest of us who have lives call it 'fun'.

Nah i think solid knight has it right deaming it right to call a large number of wii games "kiddy" its not an offensive statement and you shouldn't take it as such

Although it is wrong of you to consider people who enjoy collecting trophies and watching decent cutscenes as having no lives? such games are also considered fun

someone who plays these "fun" games as you put it can also have no lives even if the game is simple so thats an unfair generalization

I'd say littlebigplanet is a kiddy game but it can be fun

same with games like mgs4 although more complicated its still a fun game to play (if they weren't fun then no one would play these games)

well if Nintendo goes with Intel for graphics then we can definately count HD out :D

Haha. You could even nearly count SD out if nintendo went with intel graphics.

I doubt it somehow - they'll most likely go with IBM and ATi again just like before. Knowing Nintendo, they'll want to keep a very similar architecture as the Wii and GCN, just super powered up. This would ensure backwards compatibility once again.

def yes. backwards compatibility is that thing that Nintendo has in hardware that Sony had but took out and that Microsoft had in software but never quite got right.

I agree, wii is for kids not hardcore gamers. And Nintendo wasn't like that with the 64 and cube, some of the best games were on cube and 64.... can't say the same on the Wii... The only reason I play wii is for guitar hero and GH is on all consoles AND pc...

the N64 and Gamecube were quite different don't you think? it would have cost too much to have a cartridge slot on a mini-DVD based game console that already was to come in 3rd place and without movie playback support.

the Wii is a different story however, its kinda like the PS2 where you can play all those games you bought in the last couple years without having yer old console needlessly hooked up.

keeping GC compatibility in the Wii's successor will be an advantage to Nintendo that neither Sony nor Microsoft will end up having. people who bought and love all those awesome titles they put out on Gamecube and Wii won't have to worry about being able to play them in years from now.

it won't make me buy one tho, because i hate Nintendo games.