Intel, Nintendo Collaborating on New Console?

This is an interesting rumor, but all it really says is that Intel is approaching Nintendo to make a deal for the next generation of consoles, which they've likely done with each and every generation... This really isn't news unless Nintendo makes a deal. With that said, given Nintendo's past architecture choices, and their desire to have backward compatibility I would not expect them to go with Intel. It's all left to be seen though, and I really don't think we're close to seeing any new consoles to be quite honest (And if they're still being approached by suppliers of integral components like Intel I would say they aren't even that far along in design...).

Seeing what I paid for my 360, I'm kind of hoping it takes much longer to come out! :p

I'm crying? Really?

Yes.

For the last time, stop taking it as a personal insult.

You assume that I am. I'm not the one flustered here nor am I calling anyone names. Go back and read my posts if you don't believe me. Make sure the posts belong to me.

But Solid Knight, don't you dare put words in my mouth, classify me as immature, or further insult me without even giving a tiny bit of intelligent feedback. You use counter-intelligence against someone else's intelligence. That's how discussion forms. So in the future, instead of personally insulting someone, attempt to actually see their side of it, or the professional side of matters, and as I just did, as I've been saying all along, this post concerns the gaming industry at large, so stop being so butt-hurt about what I say and stop and think about it.

Funny since the only one here making personal attacks and assumptions about the opposition here is you.

While you do have a point that from a feature and technological perspective the Wii is not all the competitive however the market indicates that the Wii is very competitive considering it is outselling the competition by quite a bit. Of course I anticipate you restricting this to the supposed "real gamers" demographic in order to justify your claims but I doubt you have any evidence to support that beyond your limited personal observation.

Seeing what I paid for my 360, I'm kind of hoping it takes much longer to come out! :p

I feel the same way. With the current economic conditions though, I wouldn't expect a new console to come out until things have improved some... Jumping the gun on that could be devastated to the console maker...

I would not consider the Wii a competitor to the 360 or PS3. Nintendo has never marketed it as such.

I agree.

True. I suppose I should have credited it for the 512 card, I forgot. The DVD Homebrew aspect is true, but I'm talking out-of-the-box, so I disregarded it. As for cost, my question is why? It would not have cost too much to add it and would certainly have made for a better converged device than it is right now.

I know, I suppose it isn't as bad as it could have been, but I read the forum description above just as I clicked post. Again, it wasn't meant to offend anyone who owns a Wii, nor was it a personal attack, I am simply stating the answer, using facts from trends and the general public, as to why most mainstream gamers do not view the Wii as a true next-generation console compared to it's predecessor.

They did because they are Nintendo. If there's a chance of saving money they do. Always have and always will.

About the next-gen bit. The biggest reason for that is because just a few of the developers did an effort with the capabilities of the Wii. It's not just a GameCube with new controllers. Far from it. Even GameCube had games superior to the majority of the games on the Wii, even 1st-gen games. Think about it,a game from 2001 (launch) pushed more polygons and effects than any other Wii title released to date (Rogue Squadron). I'm a little bitter that Factor 5 didn't get the chance to show how they could push the Wii. The problem here is the new buzz word, casual gamer. Devs saw an opportunity to earn some quick cash. And from there the snowball kept running.

In other words it have nothing to do with Nintendo or the Wii that the public see it that way. It's all down to devs and publishers.

This is an interesting rumor, but all it really says is that Intel is approaching Nintendo to make a deal for the next generation of consoles, which they've likely done with each and every generation... This really isn't news unless Nintendo makes a deal. With that said, given Nintendo's past architecture choices, and their desire to have backward compatibility I would not expect them to go with Intel. It's all left to be seen though, and I really don't think we're close to seeing any new consoles to be quite honest (And if they're still being approached by suppliers of integral components like Intel I would say they aren't even that far along in design...).
It isn't really a rumor. Since Intel and Nintendo have worked on CPU's since late 90's for their home console. The Flipper for GameCube and now the Broadway with Wii. It's only logical that Nintendo and Intel continue the partnership. And yes, backward compatibility is key. A new console from Nintendo will not be here until 2012 at the earliest. Shown probably E3 2011.

Yes.

You assume that I am. I'm not the one flustered here nor am I calling anyone names. Go back and read my posts if you don't believe me. Make sure the posts belong to me.

Funny since the only one here making personal attacks and assumptions about the opposition here is you.

While you do have a point that from a feature and technological perspective the Wii is not all the competitive however the market indicates that the Wii is very competitive considering it is outselling the competition by quite a bit. Of course I anticipate you restricting this to the supposed "real gamers" demographic in order to justify your claims but I doubt you have any evidence to support that beyond your limited personal observation.

Yeah, good job., As usual, any point I make in a professional and critical manner goes totally overlooked because you don't want to read about anything that bashes on your system. And no, I'm not just referring to you, I'm referring to the other guy in this thread, you know, the one who will actually probably give me intelligent feedback. Nope, no restrictions here, I hit the nail on the head as to what "real gamers" are yet you're undoubtedley part of the statistic that says "if I play it and it's fun than I'm a gamer", which is a ridiculous argument.

Outselling, sure, but to WHO!? People who have never played a game before, (elderly people, women, and children. <-- this statement is heavily vague and in no means is meant to stereotype, it was simply Nintendo's target audience). Real gamers are not buying it. I'm not talking about who is doing better, since Nintendo is going on a completely different direction, a direction that strays from what real gamers have been searching for. You're totally missing the point, if we were talking about sales than obviously I can combat such a high sell rate for the Wii.

But we're talking NICHE here. True gamers, not people pickign it up for the first time, because everything I said in that last post is from their point of view, as in what they expect from the industry. Are you so determined to hate everything I say that you refuse to read it? Because if you can't even understand that much, than I'm simply done talking trying to talk to you. Have fun.

To anyone else who isn't interested in turning this into a flamewar, then I certainly agree that an Intel chipset in a next-generation Nintendo console would certainly be an exciting step :).

Saying that real gamers don't pick up the Wii is a rather ignorant claim. Real gamers buy games/system that they can enjoy themselves with. And don't care about games being catered to kids/elderly or whatever. If you are hesitant about playing a game that doesn't make you "cool" then you aren't a true gamer.

It isn't really a rumor. Since Intel and Nintendo have worked on CPU's since late 90's for their home console. The Flipper for GameCube and now the Broadway with Wii. It's only logical that Nintendo and Intel continue the partnership. And yes, backward compatibility is key. A new console from Nintendo will not be here until 2012 at the earliest. Shown probably E3 2011.

That's the timeline I suspect as well, but I'm holding off making predictions at this point. I do agree though and expect to see something in 2012. Though I do wonder who will be the first to release their next console. Though part of me suspects it will be Nintendo.

Snip

Really? Any time somebody disagrees with your position you just let loose the accusations and assumptions and name calling. It's so funny, you sit here whining and accusing me of being a Nintendo fanboy, not being a "real gamer", making fun of you, not taking you seriously, and on and on and on.

Edited by Solid Knight

you're undoubtedley part of the statistic that says "if I play it and it's fun than I'm a gamer", which is a ridiculous argument.

What you haven't figured out yet is that this is all just your opinion. I could make the claim that a hardcore or 'niche' gamer is a loser living in his parent's basement, squandering all money that comes his way on his hardcore games, spending hours upon hours playing his hardcore games. Am I right just because I say so?

I don't mind people saying that any given system is not for them. But when they make broad claims like the Wii is not for serious gamers, they're just painting themselves with a very large stupid brush. I can call myself a gamer as much as you can call yourself one. Don't like it? Join yet another gaming forum.

@LiquidSolstice ;

WTF? As long as you continue to claim that Wii players aren't "True gamers", your PERSONAL OPINIONS will never reach anyone as a person who knows what he is talking about.

I LOVE my wii and the games that I have bought.

I also own a 360, but not a PS3 since i never really needed one. As soon as i need one to play a game I would like to play, I'll buy one.

All I can say, is that I can see what people mean with it not being very powerful, but this does not make it a BAD console, it's by far the most innovative console of them all. With motion plus I can really say that I am looking forward to games making use if it, it's insanely accurate in sports resort.

For Wii-owners graphics does not count as much as it does for you it seems (seeing since this is TH? only thing the wii lacks), so I need you to answer one thing for me; Does THIS make a Wii-owner,in your eyes "not true gamers"? If the answere from you is yes, then I agree with random_, you sould stop posting here.

Btw; I really don't give a flying **** about hardware,developers,fan boys,HD,SD, and so on, as long as I like the games and the game play I really don't care what console I'm playing it on. As it happens, the wii has the most innovative game play ever, IF the developers choose to utilize it. I like all the three major console on the marked right now, for it's different games.

If you don't like the wii, just say so. don't go attacking wii owners that enjoy their console.

Edited by morphen

Saying that real gamers don't pick up the Wii is a rather ignorant claim. Real gamers buy games/system that they can enjoy themselves with. And don't care about games being catered to kids/elderly or whatever. If you are hesitant about playing a game that doesn't make you "cool" then you aren't a true gamer.

Thank you for completely missing the point as well.

*sigh* I told you this would happen, I even called it. All that these Wii owners saw was simply what they wanted to see: me bashing the Wii for the sake of bashing it. This is what happens when you don't completely read.

For the last time, stop with the butt-hurt and read what I wrote CAREFULLY. It's not that difficult.

I don't care what you individually think, I agree with the notion that if you like a game/game system, play it, by all means, and be proud about it. But no, dammit, I'm not saying it "sucks" I'm explaining why by today's industry gaming standards it's not a real player in the next-gen gaming war. READ. All you sheep ever see is what you want to see, not what's really there.

FFS. I even OWN a Wii and I stated that too.

I own a wii and I think it pretty much sucks. I love nintendo but they dropped the ball with the wii. not to say it doesnt have potential.

@LiquidSolstice ;

WTF? As long as you continue to claim that Wii players aren't "True gamers", your PERSONAL OPINIONS will never reach anyone as a person who knows what he is talking about.

I do believe I used real world standards and facts to express my view. Tell me, excepting what I said about the control setup for the Wii, where on earth did I include "PERSONAL OPINIONS"? Tell me.

I LOVE my wii and the games that I have bought.

Which is why you're so butt-hurt about what I said and chose to take what i said int he completely wrong way. I never said it was a bad system, nor did I say it's not a fun system.

I also own a 360, but not a PS3 since i never really needed one. As soon as i need one to play a game I would like to play, I'll buy one.

Irrelevant, makes no sense here.

All I can say, is that I can see what people mean with it not being very powerful, but this does not make it a BAD console, it's by far the most innovative console of them all. With motion plus I can really say that I am looking forward to games making use if it, it's insanely accurate in sports resort.

Again, you seem to be unable to understand; I never said it was a BAD console. I simply said the direction they took it in does not make them competitive against Microsoft and Sony. And as far as SPorts Resort goes, THAT"S exaclty one of my points, unlike the other two systems, the commonly agreed upon better games are from Nintendo themselves, not third-parties, which is ironic since Nintendo preaches innovation and instead of creative third-parties utilizing it, they are the ones doing all the innovating, and that is a poor business model.

For Wii-owners graphics does not count as much as it does for you it seems (seeing since this is TH? only thing the wii lacks), so I need you to answer one thing for me; Does THIS make a Wii-owner,in your eyes "not true gamers"? If the answere from you is yes, then I agree with random_, you sould stop posting here.

Again, you keep thinking I'm saying the Wii is a bad system, and that's what's pathetic. You don't seem to understand what the word "market competitor" means, and why I say in comparison to the 360 and the PS3, the Wii cannot be compared to them because it doesn't follow the same standards that the 360 and PS3 set, now STOP taking that as "you're bashing on my Wii bawwww" . Are you really that unintelligent that you cannot read that part?

Btw; I really don't give a flying **** about hardware,developers,fan boys,HD,SD, and so on, as long as I like the games and the game play I really don't care what console I'm playing it on. As it happens, the wii has the most innovative game play ever, IF the developers choose to utilize it. I like all the three major console on the marked right now, for it's different games.

Again, for the fifth time, READ. I said absolutely NOTHING about how "good" the console was, I said what it can't compete in the same market and therefore does not cater the the audience of real gamers.

If you don't like the wii, just say so. don't go attacking wii owners that enjoy their console.

If you're incapable of reading, just say so and we won't blame you. I haven't attacked a single damn Wii owner here (tell me where I did), but you're certainyl making it tempting.

On a capability and service level, in the industry of gaming which consists of the smaller niche which I'll call "real gamers", the Wii cannot compete with the 360 or the PS3, and I've stated my reasons why. BUT THAT DOES NOT MAKE THE WII A TERRIBLE CONSOLE.

I don't mean "real gamers" to mean that people who play the Wii are not real gamers, not was it derogatory, it was just a word choice to describe traditional gaming and where it's gone. LEARN TO READ. Goddamn.

Sheesh, you're so quick to jump and call me a fanboy because you think all I'm doing is attacking your console, but you're too lazy to even read what I was trying to say.

As for you, @random_, if there was ANY post here more useless than the one I just responded to, it was yours. I don't recall seeing ANY feedback from you. :huh:

Honestly if Nintendo doesn't get their act together i will not purchase their next console / mobile device. I love the Wii however there are only like 10 games so far on it that I have actually wanted to play. and the DS is a LOT of kids games with stupid gimmicks.

:blink: they have the highest selling console and business is booming for them, how exactly do they need to get their act together? Sure they have neglected the hardcore market somewhat but let's face it the hardcore market is nothing compared to the value of the casual market (plus they have free run and virtually no competition in that market either) and Nintendo are a business after all. Anyway, if you want a more "mature" console? buy a X360 or PS3 problem solved.

All that aside it will be interesting to see what direction Nintendo will take the Wii successor, obviously they won't abandon the casual gamers considering the money they are making from them but will they try to win back the hardcore gamers? or will they leave them to Sony and Microsoft to fight over? interesting times I think :)

Thank you for completely missing the point as well.

*sigh* I told you this would happen, I even called it. All that these Wii owners saw was simply what they wanted to see: me bashing the Wii for the sake of bashing it. This is what happens when you don't completely read.

For the last time, stop with the butt-hurt and read what I wrote CAREFULLY. It's not that difficult.

I don't care what you individually think, I agree with the notion that if you like a game/game system, play it, by all means, and be proud about it. But no, dammit, I'm not saying it "sucks" I'm explaining why by today's industry gaming standards it's not a real player in the next-gen gaming war. READ. All you sheep ever see is what you want to see, not what's really there.

FFS. I even OWN a Wii and I stated that too.

I think you should get off your high horse and stop being this arrogant. What you are forgetting is Nintendo creating new gamers with Wii. Everyone needs to start somewhere. Nintendo caters to new one, while 360 and PS3 to the existing gamers. That's the different here. Who is it to say that those new gamers doesn't get to be a real gamer?

You really should read this article and start thinking outside the box.

http://lostgarden.com/2005/09/nintendos-ge...n-strategy.html

Honestly if Nintendo doesn't get their act together i will not purchase their next console / mobile device. I love the Wii however there are only like 10 games so far on it that I have actually wanted to play. and the DS is a LOT of kids games with stupid gimmicks.
What act? Making money? And the DS have the best library of games of any platform in the last 5 years. Only matched by PS2. And the quality of the majority is very impressive. I think you should start looking at games as a gamer, not as a teenager who wants to look cool. Games are for kids of all ages. Either you are 5 or 40. I'm 27 and love the DS. Too many good games if you ask me.

I think you should get off your high horse and stop being this arrogant. What you are forgetting is Nintendo creating new gamers with Wii. Everyone needs to start somewhere. Nintendo caters to new one, while 360 and PS3 to the existing gamers. That's the different here. Who is it to say that those new gamers doesn't get to be a real gamer?

You really should read this article and start thinking outside the box.

http://lostgarden.com/2005/09/nintendos-ge...n-strategy.html

What act? Making money? And the DS have the best library of games of any platform in the last 5 years. Only matched by PS2. And the quality of the majority is very impressive. I think you should start looking at games as a gamer, not as a teenager who wants to look cool. Games are for kids of all ages. Either you are 5 or 40. I'm 27 and love the DS. Too many good games if you ask me.

You......really can't read, can you? I thought Neowin was smart enough to know what the word "market competitor" means, but I guess that was an over-estimation. Seems you're somehow still dead set on saying I'm bashing on the Wii without a purpose.

Speaking of "gamers", you didn't read what I said about who they are, why the audience I'm specifically talking about is not concerned with market share, therefore, they do not care about so-called "new gamers". You also seemed to miss the part where I talked about "industry standards".

Here, let me put it in baby-speak for you. The Wii was not designed to nor is it fit to compete with the next-gen consoles released along with it (360 & PS3). That's ALL I said, and I gave FACTUAL proof as to why it cannot compete. I never used the words "the Wii is bad" or "the Wii is not fun" ANYWHERE. Calm yourself and stop jumping to conclusions.

The problem is that you're so utterly convinced that all I'm doing is bashing on your beloved system that you want to jump to the conclusion that I'm just a console troll. Which is funny, because I'm pretty sure in my big long post I pointed out what was wrong with every console in regards to what category I was referring to. This is getting almost hilarious. As I expected, because this is posted in the Nintendo forum, all I'm getting is butt-hurt Wii-owners who are totally missing the point of what I'm saying. Nothing I said wasn't based on fact, and nothing I said was untrue. It's the "real gamer" thing, isn't it? Somehow you feel like I'm undermining all Wii owners by claiming they're not real gamers, when in fact, I never actually said Wii owners were not real gamers, I said that the people who I call real gamers (which by the way, was nothing more than word choice) are those who are expecting a console to utilize industry standards (IE; the PS3 and 360 using 1080p, online play, powerful hardware, and robust profile management. Those are the gamers who have been following the industry for a while, the ones who started in as early as the PS1 era and watched as the consoles advanced, and the Wii broke the chain by not really advancing in the same direction as the rest of the consoles, which by no mean makes it a bad system, just one that CANNOT COMPETE WITH THE 360 AND THE PS3. READ.

So for the last time, stop twisting my words into flamebait. I never said any personal opinions about the Wii, all I talked about was how it could not compete in the same market as the other big names in console gaming. That being said, it does not make it a sub-standard console; I think it's quite entertaining and certainly has its own type of value (pretty sure I even said at least a million times that I OWN a Wii).

Sad. You're getting totally on the defensive but you don't even know from what, because you decided not to fully read everything that I took the time to write. I even said that this was a poor place to put that reply since every Nintendo fan will mindlessly and blindly jump down my throat claiming I'm flamebaiting, but Solid Knight claimed that since I kept saying I was not interested in rehashing the old facts about this age-long misunderstood statement, that my words were empty, so therefore, I gave him a big long reply detailing each FACT(read: not Opinion) as to why the Wii cannot compete in the same market as the 360 and the PS3.

Just relax, take two minutes out of your time to full understand my posts and to read them thoroughly, and you'll find that I don't mean what you think I mean at all. It's all so easy to try and sound intelligent by tossing around words "ignorant" and "high horse" when in reality you yourself are on such a high horse that you don't even want to fully read what I took the time to write. That's what's ignorant.

Nintendo is no longer an official gaming console competitor. They are the ******** for Disney and other licensed garbage games to dump themselves on, and it caters to a lame attempt to get females and elders/toddlers to "get into gaming". This isn't gaming, Nintendo, this is interactive TV with a few wand-waving gimmicks that no serious or self-respecting gamer cares about anymore.
As for you, @random_, if there was ANY post here more useless than the one I just responded to, it was yours. I don't recall seeing ANY feedback from you. :huh:

The quote from the start of the thread proves otherwise. Starting by insulting every self-respected gamer that still cares about Wii. Any further interaction with you would just be "feeding the troll".

I might not disagree with your on your latest posts, but you started way off and that's why you are still arguing in here. Thread went off-topic as is, so I didn't want to add more than it was absolutely necessary.

Fair enough, I left one personal opinion about the Wii. I'll admit to that.

But no, don't flatter yourself, responding wouldn't be called "feeding the troll". Do you even know what a troll is?

You didn't want to add more than absolutely necessary but somehow a post that says "you should just stop posting" is considered absolutely necessary?

This is pathetic. I give up. One small opinion I tossed in without thinking somehow totally disregards any non-biased attempts I made to explain simpy the fact that Nintendo is not competing with Microsoft or Sony. The heck with all of you.

The quote from the start of the thread proves otherwise. Starting by insulting every self-respected gamer that still cares about Wii. Any further interaction with you would just be "feeding the troll".

I might not disagree with your on your latest posts, but you started way off and that's why you are still arguing in here. Thread went off-topic as is, so I didn't want to add more than it was absolutely necessary.

There are self-respecting gamers on neowin?

When I said this, I was saying on a level of serious gaming that utilizes the power of today's technology to great effect.

Several Wii games have utilized the power of today's controlled technology to great effect. Controller-wise, the Wii is generations ahead of the other consoles. PS3 and 360 are decidedly outdated with their archaic control methods.

Currently, the Wii is running out of tricks to make it seem "new" and "cool".

Just like the same pretty graphics over and over and over again gets boring after a while?

:blink: they have the highest selling console and business is booming for them, how exactly do they need to get their act together? Sure they have neglected the hardcore market somewhat but let's face it the hardcore market is nothing compared to the value of the casual market (plus they have free run and virtually no competition in that market either) and Nintendo are a business after all.

The problem is, they might scare away people from purchasing the "Wii 2". Look at the metacritic scores. Nintendo has a quality problem. How many of those games are going to leave a bad taste in consumers' mouths?

Nintendo needs to encourage 3rd to make good games for their console. They need to show that it's feasible for a 3rd party developer and publishers to invest in a big budget titles for the Wii. So far this hasn't happened and it's causing good companies like Ubisoft to turn out cheap, sub-par titles.

I'd also like to see the return of the Seal of Quality.

You......really can't read, can you? I thought Neowin was smart enough to know what the word "market competitor" means, but I guess that was an over-estimation. Seems you're somehow still dead set on saying I'm bashing on the Wii without a purpose.

You're like one of those little kids mic spamming cuss words on xbox live or something. Really really annoying and won't go away. You really are in love with yourself.