[Official] Apple Event -27th January 2009

Nice thing is that it's not a contract, it's a month by month data plan. The only thing is that I really wish they had announced some other carriers, maybe they will announce that this summer with the new iPhone.

I'm sticking with AT&T with my current iPhone at least for another year or so, but it would be nice to let some other networks take a bit of the load.

I think Apple are right on the button with NOT providing a full on, normal operating system - you have a laptop for that. The tablet is to get stuff done, surf the net, send email, view / edit photos... all of which it looks like it'll do excellently?!

Then why not spend less money on a more powerful netbook with more storage space that runs a full Windows OS and thus gives you access to infinitely more software than will ever be made available for Apple's closed iPhone OS platform?

So who else have a problem with this thing?

First its the stupid name. Seriously.

But lets not be petty and talk issue.

If i'm honest, 499 for a eBook reader is not bad for the size of the screen. But its not eInk. Hmm...

At the same time, I can't really use it as a computer can I? I'm on a crippled iPhone OS, I can't install anything on it since there isn't a "word" app, or a "firefox" app, or a "adium" app, certainly can't download anything off it, how does file management even work? What if I want to download (god forbid) a .doc off my email attachment? PDF?

Maybe I'm being over critical because there isn't enough information yet. But seriously. OS X on a tablet. For 499. Yes. Crippled iPhone OS on a tablet. For 499. No

Ok another thing.

No multitasking. At all. Come on. Really? REALLY?!

You know what, I'll even give the faboys who are about to rush in the apps thing. I'll even say yes. One day, they will build a adium app, and word app etc etc. But wow. I can't MSN and type a word document at the same time.

Game. Over.

Then why not spend less money on a more powerful netbook with more storage space that runs a full Windows OS and thus gives you access to infinitely more software than will ever be made available for Apple's closed iPhone OS platform?

Because most netbooks are hard to use. Small keyboards, bad trackpads. They also run large software slowly instead of small software quickly. There's definitely still a market for netbooks, like there's a market for android and winmo phones and for PMPs other than iPods, just not for "normal" people.

For example, I could actually see my mom using this. I would never have gotten her a netbook.

I can't believe the price is increased by $130 just for the inclusion of a cellular modem..

Because most netbooks are hard to use. Small keyboards, bad trackpads. They also run large software slowly instead of small software quickly. There's definitely still a market for netbooks, like there's a market for android and winmo phones and for PMPs other than iPods, just not for "normal" people.

For example, I could actually see my mom using this. I would never have gotten her a netbook.

my $300 11.6" LED backlit netbook with full size keyboard begs to differ

So I really excited at first, until I came to the realization of no flash and no multitasking.. I would rather purchase a $499 laptop that I can multitask on.

i MIGHT be getting this, still undecided, its not a tablet, a tablet can do more then 1 thing at a time, its a big screen iPod ( im undecided because my iPod Touch still works fine )

but id like to know why the lack of Flash support is a big deal.

i have had an iPod Touch since day 1 using it as a Mobile Browser multiple times a day. how many times i have run into the flash Plugin, 3 max that i can remember, all the icons were in the Advert places of the sites.

Personally im glad it lacks flash. and literally do you want alot of Pop'ups spamming on the screen taking up the whole space

but WHY it doesnt have flash is because Adobe doesnt want to retool Flash, Apple has said this, Adobe has said this.

i think i read reason for the retool is because Flash as it stands now can run applications and conflicts with the appstore ( but this contradicts the WebApp marketing of the iPhone/iPod Touch itself )

i have also heard the Flash plugin would drain battery life to unacceptable levels, REMEMBER the iPhone/iPod Touch is not a regular processor so it doesnt matter how much usage you show on your desktop/laptop

Most Netbook fail to do anything usefull when it comes to video. You need a ION powered Netbook for that and they cost more. Standard Netbook can't even play Youtube video correctly!!

The ease of use of a tablet (when done correctly) surpass any Netbook with a clumsy small keyboard and mini trackpad. And even if it runs Win7 and you can multi-task, with most of them being limited to 2Gb of RAM, you don't multi-task that much....

The only BAD thing about this iPad is the storage capacity. 16Gb is no longer enough if you have pictures, apps, books, even music on the device. And asking more money for more storage on a tablet is stupid, WE HAVE SD CARD for that....

its a very smart device and i'm sure having a play with one will convince me more.

The storage might be an issue it would be interesting to see if it plays with the home sharing features or iTunes.

I guess the major problem is for all the US people that still have to live with AT&T or did that become irrelevant because it can take a GSM Micro SIM ?

sry bout the size was experimenting ;)

its a very smart device and i'm sure having a play with one will convince me more.

The storage might be an issue it would be interesting to see if it plays with the home sharing features or iTunes.

I guess the major problem is for all the US people that still have to live with AT&T or did that become irrelevant because it can take a GSM Micro SIM ?

sry bout the size was experimenting ;)

Storage an issue? 64GB should be enough for today. Hell I'm planning to get the 16GB version...

id say storage would be an issue, with music/pic's everything else this is planning i doubt it will be enough, my iPod Touch with what i have on my Touch now, i can only put 1 or 2 movies on it.

Storage an issue? 64GB should be enough for today. Hell I'm planning to get the 16GB version...

People just don't get it, I don't know if it because they don't think, or they think only what would be good for themselves or they are too closed. This might not be right for you, it might not even be right for me, but I understand it. People going onabout crippled OS are again not understanding, its done like that for a purpose. Its perfect for many people, like my parents, they surf the net, download email, look at pictures and thats it! This is quick easy to use, simple and does what they need without no bulk, it quickly turns on and I suppose there will be less maintenance, its perfect, no OS braking or anything, why have a full blown OS when they will only use 5% of it, you want a full blown OS, fine, its not for you, but it does have its place. I can even see its potential, its simple to just grasp the iPad and surf the net and read email, watch a video.

As for Flash, for pitys sake, Flash is only good for videos, the days of flash are over, flash does not make a product.

How incredibly awful. That looks like they heard people talking about the tablet for all this time, then decided to throw this together last month alone. The hardware looks TERRIBLE with the gigantic bezel, the software looks like about a week of effort was put into porting over the iPhone software. And it looks like no flash? Surely it must have flash, he'll probably mention that at the end sometime.

Regardless. Unless this thing cost about $100, I sure as hell am not wasting my money on it.

how the hell is this awful ? The reason for the bezel is it's a two handed device if the screen was up to the edges that would hardly be practical would it !

Starts at $500

apple-creation-0378-rm-eng.jpg

i'm very intrigued by the 64GB iPad with 3G @ $829... why?

ok a laptop or netbook @ $500 has the potential to be cheap an crap, but when you are spending 800 on a laptop... its actually pretty good (i.e. ASUS UL30A, etc.). I guess even if apple is making huge profits, this shows that they cannot grasp the concept of selling devices at a loss. either that or they don't believe that these devices will take off :blink:

or Jobs and Co. think that the Apple fanbase are naive enough to buy this product? (especially in this economy)

or Jobs and Co. think that the Apple fanbase are naive enough to buy this product? (especially in this economy)

There are many Apple fanboys out there who will buy anything that has an Apple logo on it.

There are many Apple fanboys out there who will buy anything that has an Apple logo on it.

unfortunatly something just repeated by biased bashers like yourself. You might aswell as just say, some microsoft fanboys buy anything with a MS logo on it, it would have as much truth to it.

how the hell is this awful ? The reason for the bezel is it's a two handed device if the screen was up to the edges that would hardly be practical would it !

You have your opinion, I have mine. The thing is, this is Apple. We expect more from Apple. We expect them to find a way to make it look good still and be easily used by two hands. Whatever they have to do. This looks like something I'd expect some cheap PC company to make, not something I'd expect from Apple. There's absolutely ZERO innovation in this product (well, I guess you could say the CPU, that's the only thing I'm really interested in). This isn't what any of us expect when Apple comes out with a new product. Honestly, this is less than I'd expect from anyone making a tablet. These days it takes a LOT to make something like a tablet worthwhile. A tablet isn't really an in between for an iPhone and a laptop like they showed, because laptops are mobile enough they can already go anywhere this iPad could. Never would I say to myself, "Damn, I sure don't feel like lugging my huge MacBook around, I think I'll grab my iPad which can't do half the things and isn't much smaller!". A tablet is a different type of product, not something that's missing right now. Most people have little need for a tablet other than to just have one, so if you DO make one, you have to make it incredibly useful to get people to buy it, and that the iPad is not.

• Like 3

Most people have little need for a tablet other than to just have one, so if you DO make one, you have to make it incredibly useful to get people to buy it, and that the iPad is not.

Correction, you don't have a need, others might do, as I said earlier, it is perfect for my parents and sister. It serves a purpose, you might not have a need for it, but others might.

People just don't get it, I don't know if it because they don't think, or they think only what would be good for themselves or they are too closed. This might not be right for you, it might not even be right for me, but I understand it. People going onabout crippled OS are again not understanding, its done like that for a purpose. Its perfect for many people, like my parents, they surf the net, download email, look at pictures and thats it! This is quick easy to use, simple and does what they need without no bulk, it quickly turns on and I suppose there will be less maintenance, its perfect, no OS braking or anything, why have a full blown OS when they will only use 5% of it, you want a full blown OS, fine, its not for you, but it does have its place. I can even see its potential, its simple to just grasp the iPad and surf the net and read email, watch a video.

As for Flash, for pitys sake, Flash is only good for videos, the days of flash are over, flash does not make a product.

That sounds a lot like the argument for OSX

Apparently Apple can't implement multitasking. I wouldn't have minded that the iPad uses the iPhone OS if it had multitasking, but this thing is NOWHERE along the lines of a "netbook" if it doesn't.

Apparently Apple can't implement multitasking. I wouldn't have minded that the iPad uses the iPhone OS if it had multitasking, but this thing is NOWHERE along the lines of a "netbook" if it doesn't.

Netbooks suck. Steve Jobs said it himself.