aww poor neowin :(

We're going to bring the smiley back but only Richard Hammond can see it and it will fill the whole browser.

I'd also pay extra for that!

:woot:

We're going to bring the smiley back but only Richard Hammond can see it and it will fill the whole browser.

I lol'd.

What I am getting from this thread is that it is ok to HIDE ads, but not all out block them. I think that makes a lot of sense for people who weren't going to click on them anyway.

Using chrome you HIDE ads, and if you were never going to click them, it doesn't matter since neowin still gets their revenue at the same pace they would anyway. The difference being that both the user and neowin win in this situation. Now if you use firefox, you BLOCK the ads, which hurts neowin.

I actually agree with this mentally as it's a great compromise from people who block ads, and people who don't.

Of course the only ads I believe that need to be all out blocked/removed/destroyed are the text pop up ads.

The attitude of some of the staff in this thread is about as unprofessional as it gets :/ telling members to grow up, stop "being ######", ETC... it's kind of worrying, as members we would probably be warned for behaving like that.

Ok granted, RH may be going a bit overboard in his complaints, but for heaven's sake, whatever happened to setting an example?

I think one of my posts got deleted because I showed a screenshot of the board without the DIV with the ads (even though the ads still loaded). I guess it was a wrong thing to do, I'm sorry if it affected someone.

agreed thos were annoying as s***, reason i was all out blocking them before i subscribed

Of course the only ads I believe that need to be all out blocked/removed/destroyed are the text pop up ads.

so coming on i found i couldnt see spy, then some posts about adblocking, and notice the new banner about me using adblock! so i turned my adblock off and there it is, SPY

post-105406-1264547588983_thumb.jpg

post-105406-12645476017648_thumb.jpg

Now i have been here for a number of years, and enjoy neowin, was looking forward to see this new update, and what this was spy, (not that i like it) and i was thinking of subscribing this year, but then after seeing this i think i will not...BTW ANYONE ELSE HAVING THIS ISSUE!

I see it just fine in both FF and Chrome each with Adblock..

I know Spy uses js, could be be you turned on noscript or something that made it assume you don't have JS, and as such wouldn't be able to use Spy anyway ?

You are probably right, but it REALLY irks me when i get accused of doing something im not (blocking ads) especially by staff who dont help the situation with their condescending attitudes.

Seriously? So you never go to the city and see signs saying, "Don't be a litter bug" or other general signs like that? Surely if you are guilty of being a litterbug then the sign is talking to you but if you aren't, who cares? You don't even stop a single second to think about it, you just carry on with your business.

Why is 1 lil thing that's been said is being worked on ****ing you off so much that you are still going at it HOURS later? I'm guessing you'd be one of the people that complains about food and make a scene in a restaurant even though they promptly took it back, made it perfect and waived your bill! You gotta be no, gotta stand for the principle. The man did me wrong and now he's gotta pay for it no matter how sorry he is even if it was unintentional. rolleyes.gif

The notice shows up for .5 seconds before the ad loads on my system. Do i notice it? Yes! Does it bother me? NOPE! cuz they i know they are not talking about me. The ad covers it up in .5 seconds as i said earlier.

• Like 3

I see it just fine in both FF and Chrome each with Adblock..

I know Spy uses js, could be be you turned on noscript or something that made it assume you don't have JS, and as such wouldn't be able to use Spy anyway ?

yea worked it out, there was something within adblock that was making it go away, so i manually removed it and away it went!

The new message got me to subscribe, I didn't even realise there was that option till I saw that

That's awesome. :D

Seriously? So you never go to the city and see signs saying, "Don't be a litter bug" or other general signs like that? Surely if you are guilty of being a litterbug then the sign is talking to you but if you aren't, who cares? You don't even stop a single second to think about it, you just carry on with your business.

Why is 1 lil thing that's been said is being worked on ****ing you off so much that you are still going at it HOURS later? I'm guessing you'd be one of the people that complains about food and make a scene in a restaurant even though they promptly took it back, made it perfect and waived your bill! You gotta be no, gotta stand for the principle. The man did me wrong and now he's gotta pay for it no matter how sorry he is even if it was unintentional. rolleyes.gif

The notice shows up for .5 seconds before the ad loads on my system. Do i notice it? Yes! Does it bother me? NOPE! cuz they i know they are not talking about me. The ad covers it up in .5 seconds as i said earlier.

do you get a free Subscription with no ads?