aww poor neowin :(

If you can't afford ~0.5p a day maybe you need to prioritise your finances a little better and get rid of your internet connection?

Something is better than nothing.

Its like saying to me "Hey for a few bucks more a day you can have a Porsche in place of that Hyundai."

IMO that is trolling.

I've been credited money by Google for views only before. It's not inconceivable that Neowin gets more hits than I did. ;)

That's cool. I think I'll wait for an official response, however. Because I've never clicked on a single ad in my life and never will. So if they aren't getting money for views as well, I see no reason to not have them blocked.

Something is better than nothing.

Its like saying to me "Hey for a few bucks more a day you can have a Porsche in place of that Hyundai."

"But if you steal the keys for the Porsche you can have it for free."

Yes, because blocking a couple of ads on a website = hardcore stealing. Why, we should be thrown in jail!!!

Except when you block ads you are stealing nothing. Unless there is something in a site's EULA that stipulates that you HAVE to view the ads to access the site's content, the question is a moral one only.

Give him a sub and he thinks he's Hitler!

It isn't my fault you ignored the context of my post; a post in a thread about people blocking ads, started with a paragraph explaining I see little justification for blocking ads.

As explained, I only subscribed a short while ago. It doesn't really make sense for me to take the stance you've suggested, does it?

Yes, because blocking a couple of ads on a website = hardcore stealing. Why, we should be thrown in jail!!!

Except when you block ads you are stealing nothing. Unless there is something in a site's EULA that stipulates that you HAVE to view the ads to access the site's content, the question is a moral one only.

It wasn't my analogy. I was just continuing it to its logical end. "Stealing" is just a word that applies to that.

It isn't my fault you ignored the context of my post; a post in a thread about people blocking ads, started with a paragraph explaining I see little justification for blocking ads.

As explained, I only subscribed a short while ago. It doesn't really make sense for me to take the stance you've suggested, does it

It wasn't my analogy. I was just continuing it to its logical end. "Stealing" is just a word that applies to that.

Yes Mr. Subscriber Sir, whatever you say.

You apologised to me if you offended me personally, but you stood by your original assertion, which means in some sense you still believe what you said?

I'm just a member, who hasn't said anything the owner didn't already say.

He didn't call me that word that you used, for starters.

So, if your bank or credit agency sends you a reminder, you junk it?

They don't send me reminders because I pay things on time. But when they send me reminders along the lines of their new products/services then it's bin-time.

He didn't call me that word that you used, for starters.

Wanna bet?

The people who don't believe in offering a mutual support in return for all the hard work volunteered by many staff members and members are such a pain to deal with, they are the most vocal and to boot the arguments posed to "back themselves up" are pretty weak too.

We ask people to don't be a dick and block a stream of revenue that provides for this site, staff and covers event costs. It's pretty straight forward isn't it?

Since when did two wrongs make a right? and since when did it become such a major arse ache to have a few adds on the site? sure the intelli text thing is annoying but im sure if people speak up about that sort of ads then something might change, all i see in this thread is personal attacks and big egos

You apologised to me if you offended me personally, but you stood by your original assertion, which means in some sense you still believe what you said?

<<<< quits

I just whitelisted neowin to see if ad performance was better than it used to be. Now I'm getting flashblock areas. Flash performance on Linux x64 still *really sucks*. As a technical site, I would've thought it'd be far better to avoid flash where possible

Despite your quote, he didn't aim that comment directly at me. That makes a difference.

Actually, neither did I. I said it seemed like a lot of work to do what you described, just to be a dick. I didn't say YOU were a dick.

What I do or do not do is not my point, nor am I judging anyone who does it. I'm just saying, don't pretend it's not illegal and act all high and mighty by pretending that a website asking nicely for your support is the same as the evil movie studios and ripping DVDs. The whole, "on principle, I rip DVDs to better control my viewing experience is the same as me blocking ads", just sounds silly. Neowin could turn that around and block users who block their ads, but they don't.

Sorry, I missed the context of the discussion on page 4. :D

The people who don't believe in offering a mutual support in return for all the hard work volunteered by many staff members and members are such a pain to deal with, they are the most vocal and to boot the arguments posed to "back themselves up" are pretty weak too.

We ask people to don't be a dick and block a stream of revenue that provides for this site, staff and covers event costs. It's pretty straight forward isn't it?

If you want people to respect Neowin and the work you and the rest of the staff do, then start treating them with a little respect - it's a mutual thing. Calling people a 'dick' for blocking ads is NOT cool or professional.

For the record, I don't block the ads. But the way the site management conduct themselves regarding this topic is, quite frankly, appalling.

Actually, neither did I. I said it seemed like a lot of work to do what you described, just to be a dick. I didn't say YOU were a dick.

In this case, I'm not going to argue semantics just to prove a point. Neither of you should have used that word as it's unnecessary in a decent, civilised discussion.

*Delete* was reply to somebody way up, and noticed it was 6 pages, assuming somebody replied to the Subscriber section already