Official WWDC thread

Preview:

Fastest PDF reader in the world in Panther. Rendering in Acrobat 6 for Windows took 71 seconds, Preview took 21 in the 978-page reference document. 18 seconds for a search in Acrobat for Windows, and only 6 in Preview

[ 10:35 ]Now on to Preview, "the fastest PDF renderer in the world." (It is? Hmm, I guess it is ? which tells you how slow PDF renderers in general are.) Steve's going to demonstrate a 978-page PDF document rendering. Takes 71 seconds on Windows Acrobat 6, but only 28 on Preview on OS X. A search takes 18 minutes on Windows, only six on Preview. Now Steve's demonstrating the new Preview. Scrolling is insane. I wish my TiBook was half this fast scrolling through a PDF. (Uhhh, is that a G5 under the desk?)

:| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :| :|

New Preview:

Preview is the "fastest" PDF reader in the world. It uses PDF 1.4 spec and takes 28 seconds (vs. 71 for Windows Acrobat 6) to scroll through 978 page document. About 3x faster than the fastest PC. New version now offers search with 4x faster searching than anything out there ["very, very fast"]

Dang, Dazzla, beat me. :laugh:

[ 10:39 ]"I gotta be honest ? Windows beat us to this." It's Fast User Switching. But Steve says OS X will do it nicer.

Damn cool! I've been wanting that BADLY!

Fast User Switching:

Now in Panther. Toolbar item for Fast User Switching. 3D-cube transition between users - faster than XP does it. Password-protection available

that sounds ace !

Fast User Switching:

Now in Panther. Toolbar item for Fast User Switching. 3D-cube transition between users - faster than XP does it. Password-protection available

:woot: So, so great!

Another new feature called Font Book. Again, an iTunes-esque interface, brushed metal and all.

Lot of brushed metal in Panther :|

FontBook:

Pro font management. Previews and installs all fonts at all sizes and also features searching. Creation of new collections. Built-in to Panther.

sweet !

Access A/V from your buddy list and zero setup or configuration -- all you have to do is plug in a camera.

Buddy list shows a camera icon next to people who are properly equipped to do video chats. Zero setup. Just plug in the camera, and everything else is automatic. iChat will figure out whether your buddies can do video or not; you don't need to do anything. No numbers or IP addresses to type in. All you need is their buddy name, and it's location independent. Obviously, you can use AIM, .mac, or Rendezvous names. You can use USB or FireWire web cameras, or even a FireWire video camera. All you need is a 56k modem connection or better for audio, and broadband for video.

Yay!

iChat AV:

25% of customers use iChat routinely. Goes beyond text messaging by featuring voice and video conferencing. Zero set-up and configuration. No phone numbers or IP addresses required. Location independent. Instant messaging presence. Works with any FireWire camera, even camcorders. Works with all USB and minijack mics. Broadband required for videoconferencing "for the rest of us".