I didn't pull trigger....

I got into a bad situation at a gas station today....I got out of my car and a bunch of guys started saying "what you looking at" and "were gonna kick your ass" and started walking towards me. The last time I heard of this happening, to someone they nearly killed the guy and sent him to the hospital. I said I don't want trouble and flashed pulled open my coat revealing that I was armed. They immediately backed down. I went inside because I still had to get gas and told the manager their was some crazy guys outside and they said ya we are about ready to call the cops. One of them came in to apologize to me and I said I I don't want trouble and I didn't appreciate having 4 guys come up to me and threaten me and he said its all good their just way to drunk and looking for a fight. I waited a few minutes and told the manager I was waiting for them to leave. I went to go outside to leave and they said "hey **********er pull out your piece **********er lets get going" I said I don't want trouble and that I was going and one of them ran at me and grabbed me by the throat, I threw his hand off and another came to punch me in the face. I got extremely fearful and pulled out my weapon and said back off I don't want trouble. They paused for a second and said "**** you **********er and ran at me. I made the split second decision I didn't want to end a mans life they tried to grab the gun so I turned around and lodged it in my coat and decided to take a beating instead. I kept the gun held on telling myself to shoot but I couldn't muster the courage. A friendly stranger went to pull him off and they started kicking him too. They then booked it and the guy said "don't shoot them their running now" so I holstered my weapon and got up. I had blood coming down my face. But I was alive thanks to the stranger. The store owner had called the cops and he helped me outside and we waited for them to show up. I gave a description and the cop thanked me for not killing them and made it clear I had every right too. After writing down my CC carry numbers and my id information and making a report with me and the witness's, he said they sounded like they were from the local gang. Thankfully I don't live in this town, I lived in another close by town. If that stranger wouldn't of been there I would of been left with no choices.... I feel relieved that I didn't have to take a life but at the same time I thought to myself why didn't I pull the trigger. Multiple people came at me and I couldn't bring myself to do it......If that stranger wouldn't of been their I might of pulled the trigger. But I kept thinking to myself now, what if I never got the courage? Would I have died? I don't know.....

UPDATED

I thought I would include my thought out response from page 6 in the original post to make this easier to follow.

I've been thinking about this all day and I've came to a conclusion. I've been in the wrong mindset the whole time before this. I've talked it over with a few of my friends in law enforcement and they, as well as me agreed I made a mistake in not immediately taking control of the situation. Never again will I let a bunch of thugs get that close to me. If it happens again I will pull and shoot to kill immediately. Washington is a stand your ground state. This situation has taught me a lesson. Me not taking immediate control and dropping the first perp put everyone's life in danger in the gas station. However I shouldn't even let it got to their, when I first was confronted I should of taken control right then. I stupidly let it go when they backed down instead of telling them to hit the floor and calling the cops like I should have. I'm just glad I learned my lesson without anything too terrible happening.

To those that say you would of shot to kill without hesitation and have not been in that situation before I say you don't know what you are talking about at all. It is incredibly hard to take a mans life and not one of the gun self defense classes or or weapons training I have gone through was preparation to take a mans life, but only preparation to how to use the tool. To those acting like I brandished it trying to be tough I take great offense to this. No one knows I carry, they came up on me to beat me up and I said I didn't want trouble and showed it because I felt extremely threatened. I should have taken control right their and had them all on the ground with the cops on the way, but stupidly, I was hoping they would let it go and back off.

This experience I hope has shown me what not to do. From now on, I hope to enter a new mindset. I will immediately control the situation, if they back down like they did I will immediately command them to the ground verbally instead of trying to let it go. I will call the cops if that works. If it doesn't and I am charged I will shoot to kill. I must be comfortable with doing it. This situation has strengthened my resolve to take better control of future situations. I will say now, this will never happen like this again. I may never encounter a situation like this in my whole life again, but if I do, I hope to put what I learned from this situation to good use. To anyone with a CCW out their thinking that you can intimidate an attacker off and then back away, I can tell you from experience, think about why your carrying. I now realize what I should of always realized. I was told it in classes, I was told it by experienced law enforcement officers. You don't carry to intimidate attackers away, you carry to neutralize attackers. I hope I can learn from my experience, and never let it happen this way again.

UPDATE

I just got a call from the responding officer and they have a photo line up their going to show me tomorrow. He asked if I wanted to press charges, and I agreed to. He told me its smoking gun thanks to the security footage and that they have a good idea of who the perps were and that after the photo lineup they will issue arrest warrants. Hopefully they come through and catch these guys. Apparently they are part of a local gang known as the East Gate Possy. Well see how it goes.

UPDATE 2.

I got through the line up and identified the perps. It was easy given he had a camera with the security footage on it. Now the question is will they find these guys to arrest them? We got the identity down. Thankfully the store didn't have bad security cameras that take a picture every 2 seconds and it was halfway clear maybe 480p or close? Anyways The cop told me he had been on the force for two years and said he learned a lesson from this too. He said he would of probably reacted the same way if someone kept advancing after he pulled his weapon and said he learned from my experience to shoot. I'm going to try to get the security camera footage and post it. I want CCW permit owners to see what not to do. I will never again react this way and I hope others can learn from my experience as well.

At the end of the day, pulling the trigger makes you no better then they are - possibly even a little worse. You did the right thing, you should feel proud of yourself!

Life is all about what ifs, its best not to dwell on them, you are alive, they are alive, you might be a bit sore but at least you know you can handle yourself in those situations its just a shame not everyone is as responsible as you with a weapon.

I got into a bad situation at a gas station today....I got out of my car and a bunch of guys started saying "what you looking at" and "were gonna kick your ass" and started walking towards me. The last time I heard of this happening, to someone they nearly killed the guy and sent him to the hospital. I said I don't want trouble and flashed pulled open my coat revealing that I was armed. They immediately backed down. I went inside because I still had to get gas and told the manager their was some crazy guys outside and they said ya we are about ready to call the cops. One of them came in to apologize to me and I said I I don't want trouble and I didn't appreciate having 4 guys come up to me and threaten me and he said its all good their just way to drunk and looking for a fight. I waited a few minutes and told the manager I was waiting for them to leave. I went to go outside to leave and they said "hey **********er pull out your piece **********er lets get going" I said I don't want trouble and that I was going and one of them ran at me and grabbed me by the throat, I threw his hand off and another came to punch me in the face. I got extremely fearful and pulled out my weapon and said back off I don't want trouble. They paused for a second and said "**** you **********er and ran at me. I made the split second decision I didn't want to end a mans life they tried to grab the gun so I turned around and lodged it in my coat and decided to take a beating instead. I kept the gun held on telling myself to shoot but I couldn't muster the courage. A friendly stranger went to pull him off and they started kicking him too. They then booked it and the guy said "don't shoot them their running now" so I holstered my weapon and got up. I had blood coming down my face. But I was alive thanks to the stranger. The store owner had called the cops and he helped me outside and we waited for them to show up. I gave a description and the cop thanked me for not killing them and made it clear I had every right too. After writing down my CC carry numbers and my id information and making a report with me and the witness's, he said they sounded like they were from the local gang. Thankfully I don't live in this town, I lived in another close by town. If that stranger wouldn't of been there I would of been left with no choices.... I feel relieved that I didn't have to take a life but at the same time I thought to myself why didn't I pull the trigger. Multiple people came at me and I couldn't bring myself to do it......If that stranger wouldn't of been their I might of pulled the trigger. But I kept thinking to myself now, what if I never got the courage? Would I have died? I don't know.....

I don't quite know what to say, but you have my utmost respect for not firing. It's a shame that the police will most likely be unable to catch these guys that mindlessly attacked you, but I don't think killing one of them would have been the right thing to do.

I got into a bad situation at a gas station today..*snip* Would I have died? I don't know.....

Next time, shoot. You could have just as easily died by a well placed kick to the temple, or got a collapsed lung due to a broken rib, or gotten stabbed and gotten robbed. You are no better a man for not defending yourself. just remember, the next time they do that to someone, they'll probably do it worse than they did it to you. Cuz hey, its fun!

Consider yourself lucky.

Next time, shoot. You could have just as easily died by a well placed kick to the temple, or got a collapsed lung due to a broken rib, or gotten stabbed and gotten robbed. You are no better a man for not defending yourself. just remember, the next time they do that to someone, they'll probably do it worse than they did it to you. Cuz hey, its fun!

Consider yourself lucky.

I agree....I should have shot...I will never again let this happen to me like this....I was in my rights, being attacked.....and I couldn't do it....Next time if their is one....I will not let myself be a victim.

I have to say major kudos to you for not shooting, and keeping a level head and doing the right thing. In a situation like that, if you ever do come round to needing to shoot, don't aim to kill but aim maim. If that doesn't stop them, then I'd say aim to kill - however that's very unlikely.

i dont know what to say except we are definitely in 'what if' territory now...

but i think the most ideal situation could have been if you have fired a warning shot, probably straight into the ground... but then you would have problems with the bullet's ricochet ...

I have to say major kudos to you for not shooting, and keeping a level head and doing the right thing. In a situation like that, if you ever do come round to needing to shoot, don't aim to kill but aim maim. If that doesn't stop them, then I'd say aim to kill - however that's very unlikely.

That's probably the best idea. A shot to the leg usually works best as it's non-fatal (unless completely left unattended) but leaves the guy unable to move to hit you any further. It also leaves them completely unable to run from the police.

More interestingly, should the same situation arise again, Would you do it any differently? If I were confident with my aim, I would definitely shoot to injure.

good for you, think of what you had gone through if you HAD pulled that trigger. Living with that the rest of you life isn't easy.

Glad you came out relatively fine though

That's a ****ty situation man. When it comes down to it, if the other guy hadn't been there to help, I don't think there would be much of a choice in the matter, its your life or theirs. Glad you're alright.

@carmatic - Heh, there could be some complications with firing a warning shot at a gas station...

Sucks man.

Glad you didn't use your weapon. I'm still shocked in America they allow you to carry one on your person.

The best thing would have been to get right back into your car and leave immediately after the first confrontation.

Showing a weapon, will usually increase other people's adrenaline and angering them, causing them to act irrationally. This being a group of people, that irrationality was amplified, causing more trouble.

You could have either :

A) Shot the person. However this would probably completely changed your life because if your name was ever publicly connected to it, you would most likely have to change your identity, move and and not have the life you have right now anymore. That or of the "Law" determined you used excessive force (ie: they were unarmed?) you may have gone to jail.

B) Not shoot like you did, and who knows what may have happened if that guy didn't help. Hell even by him helping, he put his life at risk.

ultimately, altough you didn't know it at the time you made the right decision... taking a life is not equal to getting a beating, even if you're the one getting beaten.

the problem with this, however, is that you had no clue they were just gonna beat you up, as they could of pulled a knife or anything. for this reason, you should of shot to wound imo.

You didn't shoot and that's something to be proud of! Only problem for me is i'm not sure i wouldn't have shot if i was in the same circumstances.

Now they are free to do this to someone else, should have shot them. Someone else death who is entirely innocent could be on your conscience now.