Common Misconceptions of Evolution

What?! What animals are currently evolving?

Hell, which animals can be proven to have evolved through fossil records?

http://talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-transitional.html

http://talkorigins.org/faqs/homs/

Well, at least you checked both sides. I just don't understand how you can read it and yet claim it "fails badly at trying to convince people that it contains scientific literature."

Because it promotes a Young Earth (5,000- 7,000), by publishing fake science and misconceptions about Biology.

Um, how about all of them including Humans?

Hell, throughout men's history we made evolution happen ourself, look at agriculture. We decide what fits our needs best and use that mutation to further evolve the crop. The same happens in nature without men intervening, how hard is that to grasp really?

If evolution does not exist and man was created at a single point in time by God, why are there different races and ethnicities of people?

I won't argue whether man was or was not created by God, but I don't think that understanding and observing evolution denies the existence of God.

You know how people think their pets look like they do? Did we evolve from the pets or was it the other way around?

Okay I was trying to give you a simple answer. However you seem to be so closed minded I'll try and explain more in depth. You know how we can tell with DNA test that someone is the father or mother of a child. We can tell that because of how genetic traits are passed on from the parents to the child. Well those genetic traits also influence the development of the child. How they look, grow, learn and so on are all defined by their genetic makeup. People with specific traits are better predispositioned to pass along their traits (e.g attractive people have a higher chance of finding a mate). Thus over time a specific trait becomes more common. Man today is taller then man 2000 years ago. Man today has less hair then man 2000 years ago. There are plenty of examples, open your mind and do some research into it.

Well, your whole speel has just been debunked because as you point out...it's your belief. Nothing more.

Actually, I explained my belief as to why people do not find Evolution to be true. I never said Evolution was something that I believe. However, I do believe Evolution to be true for the mounds of evidence and research to support it. Evolution is more than a belief. It is a scientific theory that has been proven time and time again. It seems that only the people who have already made up their mind are the ones that look at the evidence and decide that it is, otherwise, untrue.

Then you go on to say that people who do not believe is because they do not understand yet in the same breadth you say you don't fully understand.

I guess that was, on my part, insufficient in portraying what I was trying to say. I have a pretty good understanding of Evolution and Natural Selection. However, I do not have a complete understanding of Evolution or Natural Selection. It is a very, very complexed scientific idea when looking at individual adaptations and when dealing with genomes. I don't fully understand the super-complexities within natural selection. Furthermore, it is the people with little to no understanding of the over all theory that tend to disagree with it. I usually ask people why they distrust the validity of Evolution and they commonly retort the misconceptions that I have listed here. When they list one of these misconceptions, it only proves to me that they do, in fact, have little to no understanding of the over all theory not to mention any kind of super-complexities within it.

So basically your interpretation is no more valid than someone Else's.

This wasn't an interpretation. This is factual. These are misconceptions and if people continue to pass this misinformation along only furthering the ill-conceived notion that this theory is only little more than a hypothesis. To say that it isn't valid is to say that the theory of gravity isn't valid or that quantum mechanics isn't valid.

You sound like a junior wannabe Evolutionist who thinks because he's read some text books and maybe taken some junior classes that you are correct and everyone else isn't when in reality you have no more proof of one "theory" over the next.

I sound like a "junior wannabe Evolutionist"? I'm not sure what a "junior wannabe Evolutionist" is let alone what one sounds like. I have taken courses in Evolution and I've read text books on Evolution so you are correct in that part I guess. I have also read some books on Evolution independently and have studied Evolution in great detail. This post was not meant to display my knowledge of Evolution nor was it posted to convert people into believing it. This post also wasn't conceived to convince people that this "theory" was any better or less than any other theory. It was posted to clear up some confusion and misconceptions that are irritatingly attached with general understanding of Evolution. It was meant to demystify some of the common questions or complaints that I have experienced over my academic career on the subject.

...on that note however, there is no other theory that comes close to rivalling Evolution in anyway when it comes to describing how life came to be the way it is today. I invite you to point me to a theory that holds up better than Evolution.

• Like 2

there is no other theory that comes close to rivalling Evolution in anyway when it comes to describing how life came to be the way it is today. I invite you to point me to a theory that holds up better than Evolution.

A theory is nothing more than a scientific guess. It wouldn't be a theory if it was fact.

A theory is nothing more than a scientific guess. It wouldn't be a theory if it was fact.

The only part of evolution that is a theory is what started it all. Did god start it? Did aliens start it? Are the aliens what we think are gods? Who knows, its all a theory at that point. But we can see things evolve and change, he'll we can cause it to happen. See cherry tomatoes and killer bees.

No, a scientific theory is a description of a solution which fits the evidence. It is more than a simple guess (which is a decision made without factual evidence or support).

That God made everything is much more of a guess than the theory of evolution as it has no evidence to support it (at least to my knowledge).

If you're going to argue about theories then you simply have to stop believing in all of science as theories are the basis for all of science.

Also, that computer you're using was invented via Quantum theory. So there ya go.

Holy hell, did you even read the original post? It's people like you that give people false information/impressions about science....

FYI,

This thread will be trolled by Creationists.

A scheme or system of ideas or statements held as an explanation or account of a group of facts or phenomena; a hypothesis that has been confirmed or established by observation or experiment, and is propounded or accepted as accounting for the known facts; a statement of what are held to be the general laws, principles, or causes of something known or observed.

Holy hell, did you even read the original post? It's people like you that give people false information/impressions about science....

Because when people hear "theory" they think "idea formed by speculation: an idea of or belief about something arrived at through speculation or conjecture" or "hypothetical circumstances: a set of circumstances or principles that is hypothetical" rather than "scientific principle to explain phenomena: a set of facts, propositions, or principles analyzed in their relation to one another and used, especially in science, to explain phenomena". They forget the context is science.

I don't have a problem with saying species evolve and change to fit their surrounding but going from that to saying that one species can evolve into an entirely different species is where I have a few questions.

Because when people hear "theory" they think "idea formed by speculation: an idea of or belief about something arrived at through speculation or conjecture" or "hypothetical circumstances: a set of circumstances or principles that is hypothetical" rather than "scientific principle to explain phenomena: a set of facts, propositions, or principles analyzed in their relation to one another and used, especially in science, to explain phenomena". They forget the context is science.

I know, but he went ahead and said something stupid after the original post clearly stated such reasoning. So he is either really naive or didn't even read the thread he was posting in.

I don't have a problem with saying species evolve and change to fit their surrounding but going from that to saying that one species can evolve into an entirely different species is where I have a few questions.

Who ever said that happened?

why not?

And a species is only the definition we attribute these days to similar types of creatures that can breed with each other.

Speaking to definition, one species evolves to another one with it can no longer breed with the first species.

Questions are excellent. That's how we learn. To answer your question though, organisms do not evolve into completely different species. It doesn't work like that. Organisms evolve ever so slightly. The child slightly different from its parents and the child's child slightly different from its parent and only a slightly more different than its grandparent. The parent and grandparent as well as the grandchild are all the same species. However, the culmination of millions of generations can create enough difference between the ancestor and the original species to categorize it into a different species.

Imagine taking a xerox of a page and an ever so slight blemish appears on the copy. That blemish shows up on all of the subsequent copies. Other copies are created and more blemishes appear until the page becomes completely different from the original. Even though the page is completely different from the original, the original text from the original paper is still distinguishable and it is very apparent that the newest "copy" is a descendant from the original paper. Try not to take my analogy too much out of context. I'm just trying to help paint a picture for those who do not quite have a grasp on the idea as of yet.

"Common Misconceptions Of Evolution"

How about the fact that many people believe that we are here by means of a "creator" or as some would say, God? Now wouldn't that mean evolution is a truly BIG misconception? :yes:

How about the fact that many people believe that we are here by means of a "creator" or as some would say, God? Now wouldn't that mean evolution is a truly BIG misconception? :yes:

Nope, fairy tales don't disprove facts.

Doesn't really matter what anyone believes in, thats the point; it's a belief, not a fact. Saying that "there are some people who believe in a God" doesn't outright mean evolution is a big misconception, in your words. That doesn't suddenly become fact.

Thats just religion, having loads of people come together and revel in the fact that not ONE of them truly understands it. Its never actually spoken about, its always plastered with scripture and doctrine, which, apparantely, is FACT according to those who read it. Fact, so you can believe it?

Looping logic or what!

Evolution can paint the most lifelike picture so far of our world, how it works and why it works. Unless something new comes along that is somehow even more orderly and structured, so with reason, yet so simple in logic, I'm sticking with Evolution for now!