HTC Desire

I'm starting to get annoyed with OpenDesire. Seems there is some small annoyance / bug in every new build. Apps that stop responding, wifi that doesn't work or is too slow, etc. In short, I'm looking for a more stable experience. OD just changes around stuff too much.

I do like the quite frequent feature updates with OD, so if possible I'd like a ROM that has this as well. Just needs to be as bug free as possible. Can anyone here recommend me anything?

Unlike mrk, I gave up on DeFrost and went to OpenDesire. DeFrost started irritating me when it started coming packaged with more and more apps.

I don't find OpenDesire any buggier than any other ROMS, but then I don't update my OpenDesire constantly. I check regularly, but I will read the changelog, and unless there's something in the changelog that whets my appetite, I won't bother. Even if there is something interesting, I will usually wait until the next build so that some of the bugs are ironed out. I jumped from v4.0.10 to v4.0.28 because all the builds in between were buggy as hell.

What people need to realise (IMO) with Android ROMs is that "stable" is relative. OpenDesire has one guy working on it (and the same with DeFrost), so "stable" to them is basically anywhere between an alpha-grade build and a late beta version. I have issues with all the ROMs I've tried, but in most cases the issues have been ones that I've been able to live with.

so "stable" to them is basically anywhere between an alpha-grade build and a late beta version

that simply is not true and neither is the fact that DeFrost comes with more and more bundled apps (like Sense ROMs with Plurk, friendstream and so on).

DeFrost always came with ROM manager, but that can be uninstalled immediately from the phone itself. It comes with torch, that's handy and now it comes with a file manage too which again is handy for those who don't have ASTRO or EStrongs. The addition here is the DSP sound EQ app which is quite handy for putting amplification to the headphones port so if you use beefier headphones this is useful.

OpenDesire is largely the same as well, both ROMs are well under 100MB in size and both are fast. I just prefer the smoother running of DeFrost and the more detailed updates (changelog).

Both developers know that there will be bugs some people experience, neither advertise either ROM as fully stable (even if they are for the majority of people) and both listen to people posting feedback on XDA Devs and update accordingly, I just feel Richard Trip does a more detailed update on each update and his DeFrost Setup app offers more options especially where kernels are concerned and mods.

DeFrost is just more polished from my experience, it is a mirror image of how Cyanogen ran things back in the Android G1/HTC Magic days and that is the kind of way I and many others like it.

Just a heads up, a tool has been released that can finally unlock S-OFF for the GSM desire. If you have the US (cdma) version unrEVOked does this on your phone. (removes write protection on the phone's NAND flash, and allows you to perform ADB remount, and write to system when the phone is running)

View and download

Works perfectly. Tested it by doing an ADB remount, and then using the adb shell to remove a file from /system, worked nicely.

Bad news. My HTC Desire has had it. I haven't bricked it or anything. But the speaker is completely dead. Happened last night randomly. I'm gutted :(

****, poor you, isn't it still under warranty?

Still waiting for any news from Vodafone regarding my HTC Desire. Had it two weeks before the phone died. It's within the 30 days although the estimated collection date is the 5th which is 2 days after the 30 days. On Friday if they cannot give me an update I will cancel the contract. Looking at their site the phone I handed in is still at the same status when I handed it in suggesting the unit is still sat at the branch I handed it in to.

A Tool has also been released for people who have S-OFF that allows you to flash a custom splash logo.

Also uploaded a small

to YouTube of the S-OFF SPL and a custom splash that I flashed

Got my refurbished handset bang on 18:00 hours today. First thing I did was root it :D Comes with crappy 2.1 with Orange bloatware installed. I'm gonna leave it as is for now, because I need to unlock it again (booo!) And Orange handsets network lock when you flash/update the radio.

Plan is to flash the new DesireHD ROM (Y)

The only problem with the Desire HD ROM is that it is too large to fit on the internal memory, so you need an EXT3 partition on your SD, which will reduce the performance of the ROM, also devs haven't got the camera working properly yet.

Thanks for the info. I bought a Class 6 SD vard so if I do try then maybe performance won't be too bad. Although I'll wait until the camera problem is fixed.

Thanks for the info. I bought a Class 6 SD vard so if I do try then maybe performance won't be too bad. Although I'll wait until the camera problem is fixed.

It would be bearable with a class 6 SD card, I own a Class 6 card myself. However what you need to bear in mind is that if you run a Desire HD ROM, you basically have to choose to sacrifice Apps 2 SD if you use the ROM, as having the ROM and the apps on the SD card would probably make it run pretty slowly. From what I can gather Paul from Modaco is working on integrating bits of it with his ROM, and he will be optimising it to make it fit on the phone's internal memory. If it where me I would just use a normal Desire ROM and wait.

Got my refurbished handset bang on 18:00 hours today. First thing I did was root it biggrin.gif Comes with crappy 2.1 with Orange bloatware installed. I'm gonna leave it as is for now, because I need to unlock it again (booo!) And Orange handsets network lock when you flash/update the radio.

Plan is to flash the new DesireHD ROM thumbs_up.gif

What network are you actually with then? I'm guessing not Orange?

I don't find OpenDesire any buggier than any other ROMS, but then I don't update my OpenDesire constantly. I check regularly, but I will read the changelog, and unless there's something in the changelog that whets my appetite, I won't bother. Even if there is something interesting, I will usually wait until the next build so that some of the bugs are ironed out. I jumped from v4.0.10 to v4.0.28 because all the builds in between were buggy as hell.

I think this bit is key - I recently went from 4.0.15 to 4.0.33 without really caring about any of the builds in-between, because 4.0.15 caused me absolutely zero problems. Even then I only updated for 2.2.1.

I think this bit is key - I recently went from 4.0.15 to 4.0.33 without really caring about any of the builds in-between, because 4.0.15 caused me absolutely zero problems. Even then I only updated for 2.2.1.

I'm still with 4.0.32 as it has been the most solid of all builds. Good battery life, exchange email working, good camera and not FC from LauncherPro. Which is why I'm a bit hesitant to upgrade to 4.0.33. I haven't done S-OFF yet because I still see people giving out issues. Once those issues become a minority, then I'll do it :p .

Scirwode

What network are you actually with then? I'm guessing not Orange?
No, I'm still with Orange. The reason I unlocked the phone is because many of the custom ROMs have specific requirements in terms of what radio to have flashed. And on Orange handset, flashing the radio will network lock the handset. Hence why I have to unlock it first.

Can someone explain how emails can work?

So the term "push" is new to me. I have only just got to grips with how POP3 and IMAP works (kinda). However, I don't know if push email is something I need to delve into. I would only use my desire as a client to read/send emails. Whatever I do on the desire (IE, read an email) I would want it marked as "read" on the server too. As I use Windows Live Mail client on my PC, then the same would also be seen here correct?

So, would I really need push or would I just continue to use IMAP?

Thanks

^ IMAP does what you describe.

"Push" just means that the server informs the device when a new email arrives, rather than the more traditional method of the device checking for new mail periodically. In a sense, the server "pushes" the email directly to the device, hence the name.

Anyone else noticed that you can now download the Android 2.2 if you have your desire on Orange(UK)?

I've not looked at it extensively but I know it puts back fatures like the Android Market Place, which is a good thing if you don't want to root your phone

Hey guys,

Just bought myself one of these brand new and boxed for only ?270, unfortunately I had to go to ebay because I didn't really want to spend more than ?300.

However, I have a major concern which stems from this thread on xda http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=676402

It seems there is an extremely common reboot issue with the desires, where after a certain amount of time the phone will start randomly rebooting on its own and getting stuck in a "boot loop"

Obviously because I bought off ebay it's unlikely that I'll get the original receipt and the seller does not offer any kind of warranty. I just wanted to know if any of you Desire owners have had this issue?