HTC Desire

I'm still with 4.0.32 as it has been the most solid of all builds. Good battery life, exchange email working, good camera and not FC from LauncherPro. Which is why I'm a bit hesitant to upgrade to 4.0.33. I haven't done S-OFF yet because I still see people giving out issues. Once those issues become a minority, then I'll do it :p .

Scirwode

I S-OFFed my device a while back and it hasn't caused me any issues at all. AlphaRev has been refined a bit now and it works very well.

Hey guys,

Just bought myself one of these brand new and boxed for only ?270, unfortunately I had to go to ebay because I didn't really want to spend more than ?300.

However, I have a major concern which stems from this thread on xda http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=676402

It seems there is an extremely common reboot issue with the desires, where after a certain amount of time the phone will start randomly rebooting on its own and getting stuck in a "boot loop"

Obviously because I bought off ebay it's unlikely that I'll get the original receipt and the seller does not offer any kind of warranty. I just wanted to know if any of you Desire owners have had this issue?

Usually a wipe will solve that problem, but from what I can see the common ground for that problem seems to be task killing applications. Don't use them, they infer no performance advantage.

I've got the HTC Hero Android OS and really enjoy the phone except for the touch screen keyboard which in my opinion is terrible. They are either too sensitive or not sensitive enough. I installed the ShapeWriter which works better but still a frustrating ordeal for me. In order for your fingers to accurately work properly on the keyboard your fingers have to be a specific temperature and not too moist. As far as the HTC androids I love the different home screens you can put on (7 for the Hero) and all the awesome apps you can get for it. I also would love for Android to allow for download programs software to have to option to be installed directly into the MicroSD card. I've got allot of wasted space on my 2GB card.

I S-OFFed my device a while back and it hasn't caused me any issues at all. AlphaRev has been refined a bit now and it works very well.

Usually a wipe will solve that problem, but from what I can see the common ground for that problem seems to be task killing applications. Don't use them, they infer no performance advantage.

Well I'm pretty sad and sat reading the whole thread today while I was working, at first I drew the same conclusion as you from the first few pages. Rogue apps etc... but as you get further through the thread you see people who have done full wipes, factory resets etc.. and had no luck, they've even sent it back to HTC and had their motherboard replaced and no luck.

It seems to happen when you use the 3G network a lot or Google Navigation.

I'll just have to hope that I don't get a dodgy one, I guess it's the risk you take when you buy off ebay, going to shoot the guy a message when the phone arrives on Tuesday and see if he has a receipt for it, unlikely but worth a try.

Double post because I can't edit the last :(

never heard of it Olemus, i have one

I'm glad to hear that you haven't had the problem, how long have you had the phone now and would you consider yourself a "heavy" user? Do you use 3G and GPS a lot?

Sorry for all the questions :p

Oh yeah defo. I smash the data when tethered, battery usually lasts around a day on heavy use.. I've only had it 3 months but its currently up for sale cos I want wp7 :p

Oh yeah defo. I smash the data when tethered, battery usually lasts around a day on heavy use.. I've only had it 3 months but its currently up for sale cos I want wp7 :p

haha fair enough. Thanks for answering and fingers crossed I get no issues. :D

"Push" just means that the server informs the device when a new email arrives, rather than the more traditional method of the device checking for new mail periodically. In a sense, the server "pushes" the email directly to the device, hence the name.

That is one sexy POST/boot screen :laugh: (Y)

Looks great in motion, wish I could post a video rofl.gif There's even an accompanying boot sound.

Out of interest, how big are apps on average?

I am looking at getting a replacement Micro SD Card, but 8Gb's or 16GB's? I don't play on putting hours of music or movies on the Desire, so I'm not sure if 16Gb's would be wasted? How many applications do you have (that you've added)?

It's just a 16Gb card is ?50, while an 8Gb card is only ?15, so obviously there is a huge difference there. I'm completly new to Smart Phones so I can't imagine I would use it to it's full potential for many months, so perhaps a Class 6 8Gb one would be sufficient?

Thanks

Out of interest, how big are apps on average?

I am looking at getting a replacement Micro SD Card, but 8Gb's or 16GB's? I don't play on putting hours of music or movies on the Desire, so I'm not sure if 16Gb's would be wasted? How many applications do you have (that you've added)?

It's just a 16Gb card is ?50, while an 8Gb card is only ?15, so obviously there is a huge difference there. I'm completly new to Smart Phones so I can't imagine I would use it to it's full potential for many months, so perhaps a Class 6 8Gb one would be sufficient?

Thanks

Uuuuu WTF?!

Kingston 16GB Class 4 and Adapter - ?21.99 delivered

Class 10 is overkill for a mobile but rofl.gif
Not for me it isn't, might as well get the best you can at the time, saving multiple upgrades later on. Short of me snapping the card the card is going to last me for years (Y)

Class doesn't matter for daily general use. HTC bundle a class 2 card and it's perfectly fine. I have a Sandisk mobile Ultra Class 2 card and it performs the same as my LG Class 6.

It's all down to the card brand and chipset being used on it.

Class doesn't matter for daily general use. HTC bundle a class 2 card and it's perfectly fine. I have a Sandisk mobile Ultra Class 2 card and it performs the same as my LG Class 6.

It's all down to the card brand and chipset being used on it.

This. Classes only define the minimum specs, not the maximum. A class 6 will perform at a minimum 6MB/s, a class 4 will perform at a minimum 4MB/s, etc, but nothing states an upper speed limit, so a class 2 could potentially give you speeds of 12MB/s whilst a class 6 only gives you 8MB/s (just pulling numbers out of thin air for those examples, but you get the point)

Does anyone else's Desire get really warm when using it? The bottom half of mine warms up quite considerably, not hot enough so I can't hold it but pretty damn warm.

SK[' date=14 October 2010 - 20:23' timestamp='1287084201' post='593266470]

Yup, more so when charging.

+1

But it doesn't ever seem to cause performance issues so I let it go