Do you miss CRTs?

Do you miss CRTs?  

421 members have voted

1. 1. Do you miss CRTs?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sorta

The only thing I miss from CRTs are resolution independence. No ugly interpolated image if you're not in your monitor's native resolution. The contrast levels are better. If you get a good enough monitor that displays your preferred resolution at a good enough refresh rate, then you get smoother response times than most LCDs.

Having said that, that could be a good thing too since the CRTs I owned did a poor job displaying its highest resolution, and usually at 60 hertz. Refresh rates are no big deal on LCDs. Less power consumption and lighter weights. Plus, CRTs are a little scary when they 'blow up'. :p

Aperture grille (flat screen) CRTs are still good. Their older cousins are a usability nightmare.

I still have a CRT hooked to my older computer. It has some trouble at first displaying lower resolutions/refresh rates when it's powered up - it rapidly 'bounces' lines at the bottom of the screen and it takes a while for it to go away. The monitor's seven years old... it'll be a matter of time before it goes away.

They're only good for flinging at people who hack in games now. :rofl:

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX!

:p

Same, was using a dodgy HP 20" CRT back in 2000/2 and it just gradually got worse (ghosting), and I ended up needing specs. I blame both the CRT and age!

Hey, come to think of it... that could explain why in my annual eye checkups, my sight was getting progressively worse up to Grade 11, when I got my new PC and the LCD monitor. Fast forward 4 years later... I had an eye checkup earlier this year or late last year. The result? A very small change.

All I miss is "Degauss" :p

I also miss the days of running down the computer lab and hitting degauss on all the monitors one after each other. :rofl:

No. Not even slightly. I used to work as a computer tech back before LCD's were even on the market and lugging 17", 19", 21" monitors around during the summer upgrade programme we used to embark upon was hell on earth.

LCD's are quieter (lots of cheap CRT's used to make high pitched whistling noises which I hated), produce a better picture (imho), are lighter, use less power, take up less space, are less tiring on the eyes...... I wouldn't go back for any amount of money.

Did used to like the mahoosive 20 something inch CRT I had on my Silicon Graphics workstations though I have to say! :)

No, Just no, no way in hell, non, nada, never, Mhai, Nie, Nyet, not in a million bloddy years.

People used to say CRT gives more color, etc etc but now that I've been looking at LCD screens everyday, I don't see what's the fuzz was all about anymore :D

I mainly miss CRTs for the accuracy of colors they projected, oh how I miss my Sony FD Trinitron monitor.

Same, and I still have my Sony 21" in my shed too. (For sale - perfect condition!)

I miss them kinda. I miss the vibrant colors, the resolutions and the fact I didn't have to worry about dead pixels. Of course I also miss wood burning stoves, old time washing machines and 80's hair metal.....call me crazy.

Ugh, hell no.

The NEC CRT I used from 2000 to 2004 was enormous and heavy, was desktop-space consuming, and had the weird geometric shapes in the screen.

From July 2004 to September 2007, I used a 15-inch Dell LCD.

In September 2007, I bought a bigger 19-inch Dell LCD and have been using it since.

Every once in awhile I miss CRT's, but .... after thinking about it, I just got an RGBLED backlit LCD with 8-bit or higher color, and as long as the LCD is IPS- there's no reason for CRT's. But if it's one of the cheap ass $200 dollar LCD's, **** it the color on those are so bad.

I don't miss my eyes burning, don't miss heaving that 60lb thing around if you ever wanted to resposition it...nope

If you have a good LCD screen and not just randomly pick something because it's cheap, LCD's are waaaaay better.

There are cheap, crappy CRTs and nice CRTs. Same with LCDs. At the low end, CRTs tend to have better color reproduction than low end LCDs, but at least even with the cheapest, crappiest LCD, one pixel is one pixel is one pixel. No messing with horizontal and vertical offsets and trying to tune out distortion just to get a square image that isn't cut off.

Can't work so good on CRT's, don't like the visible refresh rate.