Meet Firefox 4.0.1

is there anyway to make the Unsorted Bookmarks menu go back to being a pop out menu instead of launching the Library and also moving it back to the top of the favorites list?

i personally hate this change that they made and I hope i can get it to revert back to the old behavior.

I don't know if there's a way to change it back. But a while back I had already made a Smart-Bookmark for Unsorted Bookmarks, so this recent change didn't really affect me at all.

Really impressed with the last few nightlys speed wise just wish they would get rid of the grey tabs, anyone got a stylish I can remove them with?

beta6p.jpg

dislike

minefieldpng.jpg

the grey doesn't go with the theme at all in my opinion.

You do know it's grey, because your using a visual style right? If you use default Windows theme it's fine.

You do know it's grey, because your using a visual style right? If you use default Windows theme it's fine.

He means shadow on inactive tabs ...

None of the ones I listed will be fixed with Beta 7. Some won't be fixed with Beta 8 as well.

Once these will be fixed, Firefox will be damn fast. :)

Ah well. At least they've found places where they can definitely improve performance. Looking forward to the next beta / release.

Major perf bugs left,

- Scrolling some pages / Smooth Scrolling = laggs like hell

- D2D + Flash + Opacity = laggs like hell

- Image + Animation = laggs like hell

- UI is running in the same thread = laggs like hell

- Retained Layers + Certain videos = laggs like hell

- DownloadThemAll! / Thunderbird UI + D2D = laggs like hell

:yes:

These should be fixed soon enough (assuming you mean Flash videos in the second menu item)

Plugins currently don't interact well with the Layers system, they're not retained so on every paint/scroll/etc. they're re-rendered. That's being fixed so that it will be cached on the GPU or whatever, meaning painting will be very fast.

There's also a couple of bugs that should improve performance (rebuilding the alpha channel, or skipping that entirely), and eventually they'll just offer Flash/etc. a plain Direct3D/OpenGL texture to render to and composite that, which will mean that Flash and such will be come very damn fast (All rendering and compositing done entirely on the GPU)

On OS X I think they can paint CoreAnimation plugins (i.e. Flash) directly via OpenGL, and since OpenGL Layers on OS X has been enabled now, we'll probably see full HW accelerated plugins and compositing on OS X first (and soon, but maybe after 4.0)

The UI is a little off from what they promised initially but hell, it's a welcomed improvement overall.

anyone else getting huge memory usage?

3.6.11 uses 50-60mb, while 4bx uses 200+.

I know it's a beta but I can assure you the final will be the same for me...any reason why?

anyone else getting huge memory usage?

3.6.11 uses 50-60mb, while 4bx uses 200+.

I know it's a beta but I can assure you the final will be the same for me...any reason why?

Plugin container?

I have 4.0b8pre installed on Windows 7. Flash plugin is installed and everything was working fine.

Lately I cannot see the flash animation on www.formul1.com and www.speedtest.net

Only extension is adblock and I made sure none of the filters are blocking it. Known issue?

I have 4.0b8pre installed on Windows 7. Flash plugin is installed and everything was working fine.

Lately I cannot see the flash animation on www.formul1.com and www.speedtest.net

Only extension is adblock and I made sure none of the filters are blocking it. Known issue?

Yep. Its some sort of incompatibility with the latest nightlies and Adblock.

Just tried 4.0b6. It seems a lot more unresponsive and laggy compared to 3.6. This was with clean profile and no extensions.

uhm its not like its beta software. :p

of course it will run slower than 3.6

its unoptimized and buggy.

Firefox 4.0b8pre

V8 - 3150

Sunspider - 315ms

Kraken - 7165ms

www.arewefastyet.com .... Looks like we beat Chrome finally in V8 :)

Flash works great with adblock and latest nightly :)

Just tried 4.0b6. It seems a lot more unresponsive and laggy compared to 3.6. This was with clean profile and no extensions.

b4 is probably the last fast beta... (not talking about JS)

He means shadow on inactive tabs ...

Ah okay, then yeah I can see his point, although to me it seems to blend in fine with the regular. It doesn't look so good though in his style he's using.

does it crash when not in safe mode?

No, but I had a similar problem with the Bing Bar. Safe mode just disables all extensions and plugins, you can definitely narrow down which one it is. If you use Adblock, make sure you use the beta version.