UFC 116 - Lesnar vs Carwin

my money is on shane carwin, he defeated frank mir ended all his fights in the first round, plus brock lesnar has been sick/inactive for the last year

Here is another fan for Carwin too, i was againts him when he fought Mir but that fight pretty much sealed the deal. The dude has got power and agility just like Lesnar so i'm sure he will give him a run for that belt. I'm sure Carwin will beat him, maybe even in the first.

Saw replay last night with Brock vs Frank Mir on Spike... man Mir owned the Lesnar so hard. Brock went full on brute and got him nowhere. Mir basically owned him while on his back and Brock standing straight up. Brock lacks technique! Carwin's all about the Tech... So I honestly don't know.

I'd have to give a slight edge to Carwin on this one.

Saw replay last night with Brock vs Frank Mir on Spike... man Mir owned the Lesnar so hard. Brock went full on brute and got him nowhere. Mir basically owned him while on his back and Brock standing straight up. Brock lacks technique! Carwin's all about the Tech... So I honestly don't know.

Try watching Lesnar Mir 2, then come back and say Mir owned Lesnar.

Try watching Lesnar Mir 2, then come back and say Mir owned Lesnar.

Meh, I'm not much a rematch guy. Mir was just way too comfortable and underestimated Brock in their second meeting. Brock really didn't show me anything I would consider an improvement over their last fight aside from not 'bum-rushing' the guy at the bell. Mir just had a bad fight.

It was a terrible fight overall, really.

Brock's just a ground n pound. Relies on his size and strength alone. Which I won't argue is one hell of an advantage by itself lol. I just wouldn't consider his win bigger nor more exciting than Mirs' though.

I have to watch more Carwin fights to make a real prediction. I just favor the technicians after watching this guy.

• Like 1

Meh, I'm not much a rematch guy. Mir was just way too comfortable and underestimated Brock in their second meeting. Brock really didn't show me anything I would consider an improvement over their last fight aside from not 'bum-rushing' the guy at the bell. Mir just had a bad fight.

Brock's just a ground n pound. Relies on his size and strength alone. Which I won't argue is one hell of an advantage by itself lol. I just wouldn't consider his win bigger nor more exciting than Mirs' though.

I have to watch more Carwin fights to make a real prediction. I just favor the technicians after watching this guy.

Exactly how I feel about Lesnar, he's just a bully and that's all there is to his mentality. I hope Carwin knocks him out in the first round.

so you watched the first fight in which it was Brock's first UFC fight against a man who was already known as a legend (Y) Props. why not just judge EVERY fighter based on their first fight ever in the UFC. i wish we could digg down comments like we were on digg.

so you watched the first fight in which it was Brock's first UFC fight against a man who was already known as a legend (Y) Props. why not just judge EVERY fighter based on their first fight ever in the UFC. i wish we could digg down comments like we were on digg.

I wasn't aware that was Brock's first UFC fight (I don't follow UFC as much as I used to). Thanks for making me aware to this.

Way to address any of my thoughts on the actual fighter/s. There were other ways you could've responded btw. You chose the least respectful. You just came off as being a total ... incapable of a decent conversation. (Y) Props to you as well.

What was I thinking by responding to you in the first place... as your first reply already reeked of insult. Lesson learned.

Have a good one there...buddy.

Go CARWIN! tongue.gif

• Like 2

Way to address any of my thoughts on the actual fighter/s. There were other ways you could've responded btw. You chose the least respectful. You just came off as being a total ... incapable of a decent conversation. (Y) Props to you as well.

k...

lesnars wrestling is probably the best in the UFC ( Lesnar was an accomplished amateur wrestler, winning the 2000 NCAA heavyweight wrestling championship and placing second in 1999, losing in the finals to future New England Patriots offensive lineman Stephen Neal. )

His size and strength alone is better then anyones, that's like saying someone just relies on their jujitsu and ground game because they have a black belt in brazillian jujitsu. Of course they are going to rely on that if they are good at. Also's hes quicker then anyone in the heavyweight division, easily. If you watched the Mir fight you would see that his takedown defense was unreal, Mir couldn't take him down. It also helps that he could possibly be the best athlete in the UFC too (GSP has him on that i think though)

You are talking about a guy (Carwin) who just has one tool, which is his punch. Carwin is sick, but all he does is knock people out (well that's pretty dope actually...) What ground game, takedown defense, grappling or takedowns have we ever seen Carwin do? If anyone is just one dimensional in this fight, it's Carwin.

lesnars wrestling is probably the best in the UFC ( Lesnar was an accomplished amateur wrestler, winning the 2000 NCAA heavyweight wrestling championship and placing second in 1999, losing in the finals to future New England Patriots offensive lineman Stephen Neal. )

His size and strength alone is better then anyones, that's like saying someone just relies on their jujitsu and ground game because they have a black belt in brazillian jujitsu. Of course they are going to rely on that if they are good at. Also's hes quicker then anyone in the heavyweight division, easily. If you watched the Mir fight you would see that his takedown defense was unreal, Mir couldn't take him down. It also helps that he could possibly be the best athlete in the UFC too (GSP has him on that i think though)

You are talking about a guy (Carwin) who just has one tool, which is his punch. Carwin is sick, but all he does is knock people out (well that's pretty dope actually...) What ground game, takedown defense, grappling or takedowns have we ever seen Carwin do? If anyone is just one dimensional in this fight, it's Carwin.

Ok there are a few things you seem to be overlooking. IMO lesnar is NOT the best wrestler in the UFC, however without a doubt he's the best HW Wrestler. Yes he has many credentials, but so do others in the UFC.

His size and strengh have been unmatched throughout all of his fights, there is no doubt he is one BIG, TOUGH, ATHLETIC dude. I'm not gonna make a stupid comment and say that he relies on his size, because it's obvious as you said, it's his strong point, of course he's gonna take advantage of it. The second Mir fight, Brock was much improved, which shows that he's growing as an MMA fighter, which is something alot of people didn't think would happen.

You're right on GSP being the best athlete :p

Now.. I'm not trying to downplay Lesnars talents or his Credentials, However to say that Carwin has only 1 Tool doesn't make any sense. Sure his wrestling is AS impressive as Lesnars, but he has a VERY strong wrestling background.

NCAA

* NCAA Division II National Wrestling Heavyweight Runner-Up 1996?97 (2 times)

* NCAA Division II Wrestling Heavyweight Champion (1999)

Now with THAT, combined with the fact that we KNOW he has one punch power AND a chin of steel as shown in the Gonzaga fight, he's gonna be trouble for Lesnar. There is a reason people never made it past the 1st round with Carwin, because if he hits you, you are going to feel it, and THAT is something that Lesnar hasn't yet had to face. The closest Lesnar has had is a nice shot from Couture that cut him over his eye, and even that, if you watch the fight again, looked like it got in his head a bit, so i'm curious to see just how well Lesnar does with Carwin's punches.

Just because you haven't seen Carwin grapple, or takedown defense doesn't mean he doesn't know how, let's not forget that Carwin has been training at MMA for much longer that Lesnar has, so i'm sure takedown defense isn't just something he's thinking about now. I can't believe your comment about him being one dimensional, sounds like a totally uneducated comment.

• Like 1

Lesnar destroyed Mir

Carwin destroyed Mir

There seems to be a pattern of Mir sucking.

Being from Minnesota, I've heard Lesnar on local radio stations. He was on AM 1130 KFAN out of Minneapolis and I really liked him. He was fun and arrogant, but in a joking way. He takes himself serious and yet not so serious. He can be a peckerhead, but he seems genuine at the same time. I like him.

So I hope he wins.

On the other hand, from what I've seen of Carwin, I like him too. He's a wrecking machine with his fists. He's not only one hell of an athlete and MMA force, he's smart. I believe he holds two college degrees in Engineering. He is in MMA for the sport. He doesn't need the money. He's in it for the fun.

So I hope he wins.

I'd be happy for either one if they win. I think if I had to say who I wanted to win, my choice would be Lesnar just out of how familiar I am with him. Will he get it done? I don't know. They're aren't many people that can take what Carwin can give out. I think it'll all come down to how well Brock's training has been getting ready for this fight. He has the physical tools, but does he have the mental tools? Is he fully ready to take on someone that has that kind of talent after being gone for a year?

I'm going against my boy and saying Carwin in Rnd 3. <ouch...that hurts to say>

All I can say is, if Lesnar loses, that's going to be one helluva rematch. And you know Dana White would have that set up before the after-fight press conference.

Ok there are a few things you seem to be overlooking. IMO lesnar is NOT the best wrestler in the UFC, however without a doubt he's the best HW Wrestler. Yes he has many credentials, but so do others in the UFC.

His size and strengh have been unmatched throughout all of his fights, there is no doubt he is one BIG, TOUGH, ATHLETIC dude. I'm not gonna make a stupid comment and say that he relies on his size, because it's obvious as you said, it's his strong point, of course he's gonna take advantage of it. The second Mir fight, Brock was much improved, which shows that he's growing as an MMA fighter, which is something alot of people didn't think would happen.

You're right on GSP being the best athlete :p

Now.. I'm not trying to downplay Lesnars talents or his Credentials, However to say that Carwin has only 1 Tool doesn't make any sense. Sure his wrestling is AS impressive as Lesnars, but he has a VERY strong wrestling background.

NCAA

* NCAA Division II National Wrestling Heavyweight Runner-Up 1996?97 (2 times)

* NCAA Division II Wrestling Heavyweight Champion (1999)

Now with THAT, combined with the fact that we KNOW he has one punch power AND a chin of steel as shown in the Gonzaga fight, he's gonna be trouble for Lesnar. There is a reason people never made it past the 1st round with Carwin, because if he hits you, you are going to feel it, and THAT is something that Lesnar hasn't yet had to face. The closest Lesnar has had is a nice shot from Couture that cut him over his eye, and even that, if you watch the fight again, looked like it got in his head a bit, so i'm curious to see just how well Lesnar does with Carwin's punches.

Just because you haven't seen Carwin grapple, or takedown defense doesn't mean he doesn't know how, let's not forget that Carwin has been training at MMA for much longer that Lesnar has, so i'm sure takedown defense isn't just something he's thinking about now. I can't believe your comment about him being one dimensional, sounds like a totally uneducated comment.

You make all valid points. I'm not trying to say that's all carwin has is his punch, i was more trying to say that the poster i was responding to was just judging Lesnar on one fight and while going on that pattern we could do the very same with carwin. Carwin does have a good wrestling background, did know this (but didn't know it was that good, so thanks for the info (Y) ).

The guy trains with Greg Jackson, so he's gotta have something right. Also because he's in Greg Jackson training camps, he has the advantage of having a plethora of top fighters to train with (jardine, rashad evans, GSP if he's down there at the time, though he mainly trains in montreal now doesn't he?). He definitely got some skills. Greg Jackson helps a lot, especially in the strategic game. I wouldn't doubt that Carwin comes into this fight more mentally/strategically prepared because of those factors. If he proves to have the greatest take down defense in history (which he will have to have against someone like brock) he'll have a pretty good chance because all i see brock doing is charging him and trying to take him down.

You make all valid points. I'm not trying to say that's all carwin has is his punch, i was more trying to say that the poster i was responding to was just judging Lesnar on one fight and while going on that pattern we could do the very same with carwin. Carwin does have a good wrestling background, did know this (but didn't know it was that good, so thanks for the info (Y) ).

The guy trains with Greg Jackson, so he's gotta have something right. Also because he's in Greg Jackson training camps, he has the advantage of having a plethora of top fighters to train with (jardine, rashad evans, GSP if he's down there at the time, though he mainly trains in montreal now doesn't he?). He definitely got some skills. Greg Jackson helps a lot, especially in the strategic game. I wouldn't doubt that Carwin comes into this fight more mentally/strategically prepared because of those factors. If he proves to have the greatest take down defense in history (which he will have to have against someone like brock) he'll have a pretty good chance because all i see brock doing is charging him and trying to take him down.

Gotcha! Yeah that Lesnar getting owned my Mir comment was pretty retarded..lol

I'm not a fan of Lesnar at all, mostly because of his attitude/antics, but I recognize his talent and athleticism. The way i see this fight going is whoever gets who to the ground first is most likely gonna win because although both are strong, I don't think either of them have the power to lift another 280lb off of them..lol If they both choose to stand up, carwin is going to KO him.

Lesnar destroyed Mir

Carwin destroyed Mir

There seems to be a pattern of Mir sucking.

Not at all. Mir is one of the most talented Jujitsu guys in the sport, the problem is the new breed of heavyweights (lesnar, carwin) are just too big and powerful. Mir tried, but realized quickly that you can't just put on a few extra pounds and run with the big boys. He looked his most in shape for the second Lesnar fight at like 220 or something, but he was just too small, so for carwin he put on some pounds but it's just not the same thing. I think Mir could be a force at 205 if the weight cut doesn't kill him.

All I can say is, if Lesnar loses, that's going to be one helluva rematch. And you know Dana White would have that set up before the after-fight press conference.

Definitely, but can you blame him. This event is probably gonna crack the top 5 PPV buys.

Gotcha! Yeah that Lesnar getting owned my Mir comment was pretty retarded..lol

I'm not a fan of Lesnar at all, mostly because of his attitude/antics, but I recognize his talent and athleticism. The way i see this fight going is whoever gets who to the ground first is most likely gonna win because although both are strong, I don't think either of them have the power to lift another 280lb off of them..lol If they both choose to stand up, carwin is going to KO him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2POmlpVREWI

lesnar picks up the big show a couple of times ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2POmlpVREWI

lesnar picks up the big show a couple of times ;)

BIIIIIG difference between picking someone up when they are running at you and it's choreographed..lol

Hogan did the same thing to Andre the giant... however, lifting up a 280lb man that is sitting on your chest hitting you in the face with 5xl hands is another story. Not to take away from Lesnars strength, but comparing the 2 is like apples and oranges man..lol

SOOOO dissapointed.. but at least Lesnar was humble, which was nice to see, perhaps the illness made him a little nicer..lol

Carwin is still a beast though.. i was sure it was a done deal in the 1st, but a submission win.. W T F..

On a side note it was a pretty amazing event.. Stephan Bonnar and Chris Leban are BADASS, both amazing fights.

Carwin made a HUGE mistake and paid severely for it. Brock knew Carwin would gas himself and as much as I hate Brock it was a very smart move.

Carwin should have remained calm and picked his shots.

Brock took a hell of a beating and still stood up and took the victory. Insane.

I'm still quite unsure as to how to take this fight in all honesty.. I mean a submission shows that he's constantly improving and growing but at the same time, I still don't think he can take a punch. Sure he weathered the storm while pinned down, but he blocked alot of them later in the round, but he crumbled pretty quickly which makes me think he really can't take a shot that well on his feet. But all in all, i'm dissapointed that Carwin didn't pull out the win.. but at the same time Lesnar is a tough dude.

Carwin made a HUGE mistake and paid severely for it. Brock knew Carwin would gas himself and as much as I hate Brock it was a very smart move.

Carwin should have remained calm and picked his shots.

I agree, but i think it was probably all the "first round KO" bull**** hype that added alot of pressure. Kinda similar to fedor in that there is alot of pressure to stay undefeated, and it was just too much.