World Cup 2010: South Africa ponders vuvuzela ban

874010773.jpg

South Africa's World Cup organising chief Danny Jordaan may ban vuvuzelas from inside stadiums after complaints from broadcasters and supporters.

The constant sound of the high-pitched horn-like instrument has so far drowned out much of the atmosphere-generating singing usually associated with games.

And Jordaan, when asked if he would get rid of them, told BBC Sport: "If there are grounds to do so, yes.

"We did say that if any land on the pitch in anger we will take action."

France captain Patrice Evra has already blamed the noise generated by the vuvuzelas, which has been likened to the drone of thousands of bees, for his side's poor showing in their opening group game against Uruguay, which finished goalless.

He said: "We can't sleep at night because of the vuvuzelas. People start playing them from 6am.

"We can't hear one another out on the pitch because of them."

Jordaan conceded that while the noise was irritating for some people, they were doing all they could to minimise the impact.

"We've tried to get some order," he continued. "We have asked for no vuvuzelas during national anthems or stadium announcements. It's difficult but we're trying to manage the best we can.

"We've had some broadcasters and individuals [complaining] and it's something we are evaluating on an on-going basis."

Jordaan admitted he was not a huge fan of them himself. "I would prefer singing," he said.

"It's always been a great generator of a wonderful atmosphere in stadiums and I would try to encourage them to sing.

"In the days of the struggle (against apartheid) we were singing, all through our history it's our ability to sing that inspired and drove the emotions."

Source

• Like 2

**** the French, complaining. Everybody else is dealing with it, it is part of SA culture, and adds atmosphere. Don't blame the horns or the ball (as commented on by ESPN commentators mid match) for your loss. You're under the same conditions everyone else is. Get over it.

They are extremely annoying just watching the match, nevermind being there!

Bee's is an understatement, its like having a swarm put over the top of your head.....The sound has been turned down on all matches so far...

But yeh, do agree with above....both sides were under same conditions so while they may be 'disadvantaged', both teams were equally.

**** the French, complaining. Everybody else is dealing with it, it is part of SA culture, and adds atmosphere. Don't blame the horns or the ball (as commented on by ESPN commentators mid match) for your loss. You're under the same conditions everyone else is. Get over it.

Everybody else is dealing with it?! It's all over the news, I have seen nothing but complaints - They are annoying, they are way too loud and they ruin the entire atmosphere of the matches. There's no

fans singing, no fans cheering, no sound of the ball getting kicked about, no nothing - Just some cheap crappy plastic horns deafening the stadium and the commentators.

I've had to mute every match I've seen and it's a bloody shame.

Taken this from Twitter and it's spot on;

charltonbrooker Jesus. Really. Never mind Iran's nuclear programme, why didn't we stop South Africa developing the mass-produced plastic trumpet?

I have had to turn off all sound because of the noise these horns make. You cannot enjoy watching the games when you cannot even hear what the commentators are saying. I have finally given up the games all together on TV. I now just go to the ESPN site and read the updates about the games along with the stats. :(

That'd be the best idea ever. I hate those stupid horns, they give me a headache just from TV. I can't imagine how horrible it must be in the stadiums

They can't get rid of these things soon enough. For the first game it wasn't that bad, as I had figured it was due to the host nation playing. After seeing that's not the case these things really need to go, they're just way too annoying and are preventing so many from enjoying these games.

These things are really annoying and ruin the atmosphere of a football match. The players can't even talk to themselves on the field, affects their concentration, can cause permanent hearing damage to the public... There are only reasons to ban these things.

i like it.

makes every worldcup something different in atmosphere.

GTFO.

well not literally a band just supporters with trumpets and drums etc :p

brassband.jpg

There was supporters with trumpets and drums ? :o

( Just trying to say, the horntards drowned out everything else :rofl: )

band u say??

i hear nothing but bees around me..

im sure im gona hear the sound in my dream every night watching 2 3 matches daily like this..

its so irritating on T.V .. i cant imagine what it will be like in the stadium.

I loved the singing and chanting..

always loved it.

f*ck no. dont get rid of them. we watched the game outside in the rain, volume turned as high as it could go, on the spanish channel (the english commentator is boring as hell), and we had the time of our life. How can you have a sporting event such as soccer, or american football, or hockey, and complain about the noise the supporters are making? what are we going ot do when they start making noise another way? put a cap on the noise limit? NO. let it be, its the excitement of the games, and the atmosphere of it all.

ps. any player/coach/team that complains of the noise needs to pack it up and go home

It's annoying, not just for us, but for the people there who can't hear themselves think. No characteristic chanting, just BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT.

Let the banhammer strike where necessary.

This World Cup is the worst ever. There is no real football atmosphere in the stadiums, noone sings and I see no emotions. This annoying and highly barbaric sound of these instruments has to stop if FIFA wants to save the rest of the World Cup. I get a headache every day now because of this f**** sound.

I do not want to insult the people of South Africa and I am sure that there are also many people there that are against it, but this sound has nothing to do with football culture. It is just sth that only a barbarian would produce...

I tried to watch the US vs. England game yesterday, and apart form the total lack of interest from it being so freaking boring, the constant buzzing of those horns were incredibly annoying!