World Cup 2010: South Africa ponders vuvuzela ban

I didn't have the TV muted during the Germany - Australia match and now that it's over, I have a pounding headache -.-

I like to mute the telly and do my own commentary :blush:

i'm a france fan too, but i guess i love the team more then you because i'll watch all their games anyways...

I'm not a france fan. The french team sucks, Raymond domenech sucks but that discussion is for another thread . I'm not overreacting, I'm stating my opinion about the vuvuzelas, that is all.

The Vuvuzela has to be the single most annoying sound ever heard by the human ear. It is destroying the world cup. This is not a horn blowing party, its an international tournament of Football. The beautiful game is being destroyed by people blowing on these stupid horns, what the hell were the organisers thinking!? and its not like they didn't have any warning, did anyone watch the confederations cup (a.k.a World Cup Dry Run) it was exactly the damn same!

We complained about it then, and now people are outraged, you cant hear the crowd, the players cant hear each other, you struggle to hear any whistles, theres no atmosphere and its ruining the tournament.

Ban them immediately. Utterly ridiculous. SA should never ever in a million years have hosted this tournament, no infrastructure or stewardship to ensure a good tournament.

• Like 3

I didn't have the TV muted during the Germany - Australia match and now that it's over, I have a pounding headache -.-

"pounding headache" really? :huh: I mean, come on "pounding headache" from the TV. How is this even diffrent from being on the road stuck in traffic, a loud concert, on a plane, etc...

I dont know whats worst, this or the people complaing on Team Fortress 2 because they cant play dress up Barbie and accessorize their characters with iPod earbuds because they dont have a Mac.

Funny Weekend.

I like the vuvuzela. You all complain too much.

Yeah well, I like hearing the ball being kicked, the players talking to eachother & Fans crying their heart out in various songs.. Not this constant bull**** buzzing.. :angry:

The Vuvuzela has to be the single most annoying sound ever heard by the human ear. It is destroying the world cup. This is not a horn blowing party, its an international tournament of Football. The beautiful game is being destroyed by people blowing on these stupid horns, what the hell were the organisers thinking!? and its not like they didn't have any warning, did anyone watch the confederations cup (a.k.a World Cup Dry Run) it was exactly the damn same!

We complained about it then, and now people are outraged, you cant hear the crowd, the players cant hear each other, you struggle to hear any whistles, theres no atmosphere and its ruining the tournament.

Ban them immediately. Utterly ridiculous. SA should never ever in a million years have hosted this tournament, no infrastructure or stewardship to ensure a good tournament.

Well said my man (Y)

"pounding headache" really? :huh: I mean, come on "pounding headache" from the TV. How is this even diffrent from being on the road stuck in traffic, a loud concert, on a plane, etc...

I dont know whats worst, this or the people complaing on Team Fortress 2 because they cant play dress up Barbie and accessorize their characters with iPod earbuds because they dont have a Mac.

Funny Weekend.

So it's not possible to get a headache from 90 minutes of loud, monotone horn blowing, are you daft or something?

Exactly! and not to mention that in years time people are going to think back to the 2010 Worldcup and just talk bad things about eg: How annoying it was to watch.

Yes folks we are going to remember bad things about this world cup if the Ban is not set in motion.. NOW.

Well said my man (Y)

Exactly! and not to mention that in years time people are going to think back to the 2010 Worldcup and just talk bad things about eg: How annoying it was to watch.

Yes folks we are going to remember bad things about this world cup if the Ban is not set in motion.. NOW.

Thankyou both. I just hope they set this ban in motion as soon as possible. The good old formula of fans signing and official national team bands did a good job at every other world cup, lets hear some chanting, screaming, gasping and cheering, instead of the mosquito noise constantly.

Well said my man (Y)

So it's not possible to get a headache from 90 minutes of loud, monotone horn blowing, are you daft or something?

I just dont see how you can have a "pounding headache" after watching TV.

Why did you keep watching it then? why didnt you turn the volume down? Why was it loud in the first place?...

Why did you keep watching it then? why didnt you turn the volume down? Why was it loud in the first place?...

people complaing about vuvuzela gives them a headache, but they are fine with almost 2hours of screaming and yelling.

o wait, that'll be sore throat instead :rofl:

I know this may be very hard for you to grasp but let's try, when you hear a constant drone, your brain will find it a nuisance but will not react, it will rather attempt to adjust.

As soon as you remove the source, the brain and your hearing will once again adjust and then a headache will set in. It's a bit like the adrenalin effect and pain, whilst you

still have adrenalin running through your body, you will have a high pain threshold but as it leaves your body, you will feel the pain.

And this is why I now have a pounding headache of listening to those primitive horns, whilst trying to enjoy a football match and hearing our excellent Danish commentators.

Capiche?

I really hate those fricking vuvuzelas! For the 1st time ever, I have to mute the sound if I want to watch a soccer game! It's simply unbearable!! I hate it!

It is said it's "traditional" of South Africa. Not sure how "traditional" it is but they also must not forget that this is an international event. It's not local or even regional! It's a World Cup! The majority of the tourists, players, coaches, journalists, etc. don't like it. It's really annoying, it shatters the players' and viewers' concentration (the players and viewers can't even talk among them because of irritating noise!), commentators can't be heard and it destroys your ears. So, how about trying to respect the visitors as well? Heck, If there's something "traditional" being ruined here, it's the typical soccer atmosphere - without the chants/cheers and colours of the supporters...

The noise is enough to drive someone to attempt suicide its ear torture!!?

Why did you keep watching it then?

Its the World Cup the biggest sporting event on the planet.

Why was it loud in the first place?...

This really doesn't deserve an answer, but you do require sound to enjoy a football match. Why should we be forced to turn off the sound because South Africa can't organise a world cup properly. Or better yet, they cant stop people entering the stadium using these stupid horns.

Our Premier League (England) is the best in the world, the most entertaining. We don't have these horns every saturday. No other world cup has had these pathetic horns blowing constantly, this is the reason SA should never have had the world cup. They can actually save the tournament from being a disaster if they ban them now and allow the natural atmosphere generated by the crowd to flow properly.

Its the neutral fans that are destroying the tournament. South Africans don't understand football, they think its a street party by the looks of things. Every time the camera pans to a South African they are jumping up and down blowing on this stupid horn smiling and waving to the camera.

Its a Football Tournament, where people are meant to watch football. They aren't used to it, they havent got the infrastructure or thought of good stewardship to make this tournament a success. If they did have, they would never have allowed the vuvuzela to be destroying the World Cup.

It's intolerable and should be banned immediately. I'm sure it distracts the players, it must also be horrible (and dangerous!) for those spectators inside the stadium having someone blowing at over 120dB in their ears; it destroys the atmosphere and it makes the experience very annoying for all those around the world watching this on TV.

To all those saying this is South-African culture: the Football World Cup is an international event first and foremost, not a South-African event or whatever the host country is. They have no right to ruin everyone else's fun.

They should be banned right away. Before Portugal plays! I've watched the games and it's unbearable on the TV nevermind what it must be like on the stadium. People got tickets to the matches must be mad! The vuvzela doesn't distinguish between anything, it's just noise polution. Sounds like a huge swarm of annoying bees.

They should be banned right away. Before Portugal plays

If they do ban it, then I don't see them doing it before each group has had it's first game, otherwise the teams who've already played with the distraction will cry foul.

I can tune it out now, it's like tinnitus :p But it did suck to be in a bar the other night next to a big speaker and hearing nothing but bees

If they do ban it, then I don't see them doing it before each group has had it's first game, otherwise the teams who've already played with the distraction will cry foul.

I can tune it out now, it's like tinnitus :p But it did suck to be in a bar the other night next to a big speaker and hearing nothing but bees

In a bar? Imagine if you paid a fortune for tickets to sit in the middle of a swarm of bees. :crazy:

LOL @ bees sound.

I was also watching Germany-Aus match and it felt as if a mass of buzzing bees were flying around the room.My sister likened them to the sound that elephants produce LOL. A push on the mute button and it was a nice silence for a moment.