Microsoft Announces the all new Xbox 360

Are you getting the new Xbox 360  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Are you getting the new Xbox 360

Yeah, I'm definitely trading mine in. I'll end up having to pay somewhere around $80. I'm backing up all my content to an external hard drive right now. Called my local GameStop locations and they'll be getting it in tomorrow.

Yeah, I'm definitely trading mine in. I'll end up having to pay somewhere around $80. I'm backing up all my content to an external hard drive right now. Called my local GameStop locations and they'll be getting it in tomorrow.

That's pretty fast, tomorrow, I thought you'd have to wait a week since the press conf? Oh well. I still have to wait till July.

The closest store to me had a handful today, but they're all gone. They're getting three more tomorrow, but I'm not desperate enough to camp out or show up hours early like some may. Fortunately the best deal I can get atm for my 360 trade in lasts until the 27th (extra $25), so I have until then for my best deal.

The closest store to me had a handful today, but they're all gone. They're getting three more tomorrow, but I'm not desperate enough to camp out or show up hours early like some may. Fortunately the best deal I can get atm for my 360 trade in lasts until the 27th (extra $25), so I have until then for my best deal.

Geez, they sold out immediately? Ugh, I figured it'd just be an easy trade-in, didn't realize that many people wanted them.

Geez, they sold out immediately? Ugh, I figured it'd just be an easy trade-in, didn't realize that many people wanted them.

The store I was going to go to is only receiving 4 so I'm not surprised in the slightest.

The store I was going to go to is only receiving 4 so I'm not surprised in the slightest.

Makes you wonder how many they actually have right now. I guess it's pretty soon so volume will pick up once they get a better idea of the demand.

Well I have enough to get it for free basically:

System ($100)

3x Wireless Controllers ($75)

20GB HDD ($30)

120GB HDD ($40)

RDR game ($25)

GoWIII ($15)

3x SCIV ($12)

Mass Effect ($5)

Gears of War ($4)

Assasins Creed ($4)

Lost Planet ($2)

3x 3 Game Deal ($30)

Comes down to about $342 which covers tax, possibly lower priced titles, etc. Still not sure if I want to trade them in though. I mean, a lot of those are good games that I want to keep. Even if I didn't trade them in, though, I would only have to pay about $80 including tax.

Seems MS have solved the RROD problems........by removing the red LEDs :rofl: - Seriously

lol I was just about to post that too.. :laugh: I'm just gonna wait a bit till my 360 dies or when Canada EB/Gamestop is starting to accept console trade-ins for the new Slim. I guess waiting for it is a good thing as well.. as anything can happen with launch consoles.

So are the tech specs for the new xbox same as for the old, except the larger hdd and wifi? No cpu/memory upgrades?

The larger HDD (250 GB) and the step-up to wireless-N (from G) are plenty big enough (both of those were old Elite options). The shift to a glossy (Piano Black) finish also makes sense (this finish was standard on the Elite and an option on the now-discontinued Pro).

There were never any CPU or memory upgrades for any XB360.

The bigger HDD is useful right away (XBLA/XBMP), and remains useful even with just a Silver (standard) membership.

Are there *any* 1080p games for XB360 today? (While my big 42" bedroom plasma dsoesn't support 1080p, my 23" Acer H233H does; bboth support HDMI)

Hence the jury is still out.

Well I have enough to get it for free basically:

System ($100)

3x Wireless Controllers ($75)

20GB HDD ($30)

120GB HDD ($40)

RDR game ($25)

GoWIII ($15)

3x SCIV ($12)

Mass Effect ($5)

Gears of War ($4)

Assasins Creed ($4)

Lost Planet ($2)

3x 3 Game Deal ($30)

Comes down to about $342 which covers tax, possibly lower priced titles, etc. Still not sure if I want to trade them in though. I mean, a lot of those are good games that I want to keep. Even if I didn't trade them in, though, I would only have to pay about $80 including tax.

Where'd you find how much they'll pay for a specific game?

Edit: Found a good one -- http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7202557

Unfortunately not. I'm not one of those people that can justify buying a new console just because there's a new design.

(still has a phat PS3)

But it has more than just a much more appreciated design, it's whisper quiet. A feature I would die to have on my Xbox 360.

Well, we'll see if I can get one tomorrow. There's four GameStops within 10 or so miles of my house. I'll go when they open around 10 a.m. and hopefully score one. If not, boo.

Microsoft should have "overclocked" this new single chip GPU/CPU/eDRAM. That way, Kinect impact on the console would have been less than the 10-20% Microsoft is saying.

It's a refresh of 2005 hardware. They could have done something better (faster GPU/CPU). The GPU could have been made to handle 1080p without any problems. Most games right now are 720p limited.

PC games are made to handle different kind of hardware, I guess the same could be done with console. If a game is played on the original Xbox 360, they could use lesser settings for gfx and use better gfx on the newer 360.

I'm not asking for newer hardware (like a DX11 GPU), but faster could have been nice.

That would have been a stupid idea because then it fragments the market, if developers take advantage of the overclocked xbox that means the millions with older xboxes will get worse visuals or performance. Why screw over 99% of its userbase.

That would have been a stupid idea because then it fragments the market, if developers take advantage of the overclocked xbox that means the millions with older xboxes will get worse visuals or performance. Why screw over 99% of its userbase.

Exactly, it's not worth the trouble. Besides, people keep bringing up the lag but in the Gizmodo review when asked the MS dev said they can get rid of most of it, the games they showed are around 80-85%, they've still got months to keep tweaking it. If by Nov they manage to get rid of most of it I wouldn't be surprised.

Microsoft should have "overclocked" this new single chip GPU/CPU/eDRAM. That way, Kinect impact on the console would have been less than the 10-20% Microsoft is saying.

It's a refresh of 2005 hardware. They could have done something better (faster GPU/CPU). The GPU could have been made to handle 1080p without any problems. Most games right now are 720p limited.

PC games are made to handle different kind of hardware, I guess the same could be done with console. If a game is played on the original Xbox 360, they could use lesser settings for gfx and use better gfx on the newer 360.

I'm not asking for newer hardware (like a DX11 GPU), but faster could have been nice.

Exactly what Richard just said, it would've been dumb to fragment the market (IMO).

For all wondering: I got mine an hour or so ago, and it looks amazing. It looks far better in person because the chrome finish on the top and bottom doesn't show up as well in pictures. The eject button has a nice little beep when you touch it -- nothing annoying, just a nice little feedback (haven't tried the power button since I just use the controller). It is definitely FAR quieter than the original 360. I mean, you know it's there, but when they say it sounds like a whisper, they mean it.

I ended up not paying a thing for it after the trade-in. I actually even got $5 back as well as two magazine subscriptions because the kid at GameStop made sure to try and get me as much money as possible, and by signing up for a card I got the two magazine subscriptions as well as 10% extra on everything I traded in. The card would've cost $15, instead it paid for itself and gave me $15 to boot. :D

I'm happy with the 360 I bought last year, so I won't get one right away. If I need to replace the one I have or get a 2nd one for my bedroom (modded original XBOX doesn't do Netflix) I'll definately get it. But for now, the older version is fine.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, duh, forgot to mention: I checked the warranty status online, and these new 360s keep the 1 year warranty that the original style had. So, just IMO, but if you have an old 360 that's lasted you quite a while, I'd trade it in if you have a decent amount of games/accessories that you don't use anymore.

One year? Hrm... that definitely makes me rethink my trade. The extra HD space would be super, so would the noise level and reduce power consumption, but mine is barely 6 months old.