[WC2010] Quarterfinals - Uruguay vs. Ghana (Game 58)

Who will win game 58?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Uruguay or Ghana?

2. 2. How many goals will Uruguay score?

3. 3. How many goals will Ghana score?

Ghana simply blew it. You can't miss a PK in that situation. Feel bad for the dude, though. He's got to live with that the rest of his life.

Football is flipping stupid like this, don't cheat, but if you do cheat you'll be rewarded anyway.

Uruguay were going out 100% if that goal hadn't been handballed. There was no way in hell it wouldn't have gone in. Now Uruguay have won the game for the low low prices of just one player being suspended. Frustrating.

It wasn't cheating though.

Suarez committed a perfectly reasonable foul and was kicked out of the game. Ghana was awarded a PENALTY! They missed it, and then missed two others. They lost. They weren't cheated out of anything.

It was cheating and yes it was punished but the punishment was less than if they had let the ball go in. Yes they won but it's such a dirty, dirty way to win it. They certainly shouldn't go around thinking they are the better players because of the win.

Suarez committed a perfectly reasonable foul and was kicked out of the game. Ghana was awarded a PENALTY! They missed it, and then missed two others. They lost. They weren't cheated out of anything.

**** that. At the end of the extra time they knew they had nothing to lose. It was either the chance to win the game at the cost of Suarez or get out of the World Cup.

That said, **** Suarez. Hopefully the Netherlands will eliminate this cheating team.

Uruguay got cheated out of a penalty and Ghana got cheated out of a goal, lets not pretend Ghana were angels and didn't cheat as well.

Question to all those complaining how Uruguay are cheaters and didn't deserve to win - what should the Uruguayan player have done?

Uruguay was punished, Ghana had the chance to win the game with the penalty and blew it. Then blew it again in the penalty shootout.

I don't see how Ghana was treated unfairly.

It was cheating and yes it was punished but the punishment was less than if they had let the ball go in. Yes they won but it's such a dirty, dirty way to win it. They certainly shouldn't go around thinking they are the better players because of the win.

I don't agree.

I think he made the right choice. It was the end of extra time; ou have to stop that ball from going in no matter what to at least give your goalie and team a real chance however slim.

Ghana lost the game, they weren't cheated imho.

Question to all those complaining how Uruguay are cheaters and didn't deserve to win - what should the Uruguayan player have done?

Uruguay was punished, Ghana had the chance to win the game with the penalty and blew it. Then blew it again in the penalty shootout.

I don't see how Ghana was treated unfairly.

Exactly.

"oh the ball is going in at the end of the game, let's let it go in because fouls at the end of a match is cheating"

**** that!

**** that. At the end of the extra time they knew they had nothing to lose. It was either the chance to win the game at the cost of Suarez or get out of the World Cup.

That said, **** Suarez. Hopefully the Netherlands will eliminate this cheating team.

Nothing to lose? what about the ****ing game?

Ghana had the game won and they blew it! They were not cheated out of anything.

**** Uruguay. Cheating sons of bitches.

Uruguay cheated, simple, and there is no such thing as a ?perfectly reasonable foul? the worse thing is Suarez is only getting a one match ban, so could play in the final if they make it. He should be banned from the rest of the competition.

I just hope the Dutch beat them so Suarez can?t play in the final, cheating *********************!

Of course there are good/reasonable fouls, they exist in pretty much all team sports. If an opponent has open shot for the goal and your only chance to stop it is to commit a foul, it's a no brainer to do the foul. It's a competitive sport, not a friendly game.

Uruguay cheated, simple, and there is no such thing as a ?perfectly reasonable foul? the worse thing is Suarez is only getting a one match ban, so could play in the final if they make it. He should be banned from the rest of the competition.

I just hope the Dutch beat them so Suarez can?t play in the final, cheating *********************!

Yes there is. if it's better strategy to commit a foul, you do so. It only becomes an issue if the foul isn't called (and at the point is the ref's fault not the team's). The foul was called. Ghana ****ed up. You guys can be as butt hurt as ya'll want but no player in the world would've let the goal go in at that instance of the game.

Of course there are good/reasonable fouls, they exist in pretty much all team sports. If an opponent has open shot for the goal and your only chance to stop it is to commit a foul, it's a no brainer to do the foul. It's a competitive sport, not a friendly game.

Exactly.

It wasn't like they were awarded a corner or something. They had a free shot and they missed it. Whoops.

I think he made the right choice. It was the end of extra time; ou have to stop that ball from going in no matter what to at least give your goalie and team a real chance however slim.

oh he absolutely made the right choice for his team, now I'm not so angry I'm not denying that :p But as I said above it's such a dirty way to win a game. It's frustrating when fouls are committed on purpose in order to gain an advantage but I will admit tho, that drama like this is what makes football so compelling. Even if it does make you want to break stuff in rage or quit watching in disgust.

Not fouled?

Punishments for fouling are there to discourage that kind of obvious attempt to cheat the game, period. They're not there as a "you get this many chances to do something against the rules of the game per match".

Not fouled?

And let the ball go through? Um. No.

Any player from any other team at the world cup would have done exactly the same Suarez did.

What do you mean, no? What he did was against the rules of the game. Yes, there is a punishment system in effect, yes it took effect, Ghana didn't take advantage.

That doesn't make the foul "okay" to perform. At any point in a game of football, no player should be fouling intentionally.

To take a fun analogy: you steal a small amount of money in order to get help someone get home (say its raining and they're stuck miles from home), you get caught, you get punished. Eventual kindness isn't an excuse. You shouldn't have stolen the money in the first place, and it's not suddenly not stealing.

Basically, I am advocating that in this case the punishment should have been an automatic goal. There is no possible way it couldn't have been a goal if he hadn't fouled.

Any player from any other team at the world cup would have done exactly the same Suarez did.

Pointing to other players and saying they would do it too, isn't a good excuse. It's not an excuse at all.

Edit: I get that within the rules of the game as they stand he did what we could do. However it was obviously morally wrong, and it suggests to me the rules of the game need an update. (Along with the goal line technology).

i would have done what suarez did. and if anything was he did was just a reaction.

suarez is a hero...

He took the goal out with his hands as a strategy, plain and simple, he knew the rules of the game and knew he'd be expelled and barred from the next game, but that vs letting the ball in at the end of the game and losing? I'd go with my player using his hands every time.?

Okay, to me, calling him a hero is just bizarre - especially if you're not from Uruguay.

Since when did intentionally fouling become something to be proud of? He had basically nothing to fear by doing it, because he knew he's be hailed a "hero" in his home country if he did it, and that the punishment would be relatively little. What's honourable in that?

This is pretty much why I only watch major soccer events, what kind of sport fan condones/justifies what happened today?

That said, Ghana screwed up aswell, they were pretty much spoon fed three opportunities and failed miserably...neither team deserves to move on.

Suarez should've gotten 2 red cards for using 2 hands to push the ball out of the goal... LOL :rofl: :rofl: what a scamp..