[WC2010] Quarterfinals - Uruguay vs. Ghana (Game 58)

Who will win game 58?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Uruguay or Ghana?

2. 2. How many goals will Uruguay score?

3. 3. How many goals will Ghana score?

man i'm Ghanaian and ill tell you what that really hurt!!! as much as i wanna blame them for that hand ball!! we hand a chance to make it right and our savior Gyan just wasn't on point today!!! :( it really hurt!! This is our second showing at the word cup and we got this far.. next time around we will get even further with michael essien of course!!!

He did the right, would anyone here have really done differently in his place? Good game, good win for Uruguay.

I don't normally post such short replies but:

:blink:

He took the goal out with his hands as a strategy, plain and simple, he knew the rules of the game and knew he'd be expelled and barred from the next game, but that vs letting the ball in at the end of the game and losing? I'd go with my player using his hands every time.?

this.

/thread.

He did the right, would anyone here have really done differently in his place? Good game, good win for Uruguay.

indeed.

too bad ghana wasted 2 penalty kicks.

I don't normally post such short replies but:

:blink:

erm....do u watch any sports at all?

I don't normally post such short replies but::blink:

So you would have had your team eliminated instead of taking the chance of a penalty kick and sacrificing yourself?

So you would have had your team eliminated instead of taking the chance of a penalty kick and sacrificing yourself?

If it was a physical foul then I would understand. But was Suarez did was dirty ****.

I feel sorry for Forlan, as he is a great player. But Uruguay can go **** themselves. The Netherlands will beat them to the curb anyways, but it should have been Ghana.

erm....do u watch any sports at all?

Not often. Partly because of stuff like this. I do know the rules of football, and when I see abuse of them.

I don't care in the slightest what the culture of the sport might be. It's plainly something that should not be happening.

Had I been a footballer, I would hope it would have been drilled into me that fouls = bad, no matter the situation. He could have attempted to body block or even head it, which would have been fine. He probably would have failed. But he didn't, he performed an intentional foul instead.

If it was a physical foul then I would understand. But was Suarez did was dirty ****.

I feel sorry for Forlan, as he is a great player. But Uruguay can go **** themselves. The Netherlands will beat them to the curb anyways, but it should have been Ghana.

so you wouldn't make an effort to stop the shot? you would just sit there with your hands down? sure budy (Y)

any who says they wouldn't do that is full of crap. he saved a goal, the game and it was all on ghana who choked and hit the crossbar on the penalty shot. honestly missing a free kick is inexcusable. you have the goalie at your mercy. all he can do is guess. you low post it and the goalie is screwed. Why did he have to try to be a hero and try to punt it under the bar?

some would say though in other sports you can do fouls to create plays or opportunity for your team to win...especially in the NBA where it happens all the time.

In Basketball, if you swat away a ball while it's going in the hoop you get a foul and free throws for the other team.

i just found that was insidious move by Uruguay...still imo.

If it was a physical foul then I would understand. But was Suarez did was dirty ****.I feel sorry for Forlan, as he is a great player. But Uruguay can go **** themselves. The Netherlands will beat them to the curb anyways, but it should have been Ghana.

As dirty as a physical foul, as diving, as any other foul. Teams try to win, that's their goal and all teams make fouls. It would have been unjust if there hadn't been a penalty kick and no red card, but it was a just move and Ghana missed, it's on them. Uruguay won fair imo.

so you wouldn't make an effort to stop the shot? you would just sit there with your hands down? sure budy (Y)

Trying to say that other people would have done it is, again, meaningless. We aren't international footballers.

any who says they wouldn't do that is full of crap. he saved a goal, the game and it was all on ghana who choked and hit the crossbar on the penalty shot. honestly missing a free kick is inexcusable. you have the goalie at your mercy. all he can do is guess. you low post it and the goalie is screwed.

You make it all sound so easy. You've even managed to turn it around to sound like the Ghanian player was at fault here ... for something that happened beforehand?

Why did he have to try to be a hero and try to punt it under the bar?

I honestly do find it ironic you use the term "hero" here.

Trying to say that other people would have done it is, again, meaningless. We aren't international footballers.

it has nothing to do with being an internation footballer. sink or swim mentality in that situation, you rather save the game (or try to) or don't... suarez in this case decided to swim and saved the game.

You make it all sound so easy. You've even managed to turn it around to sound like the Ghanian player was at fault here ... for something that happened beforehand?

yeah, he is for missing a penalty shot which he should have been able to score on. it is that simple, ever taken a penalty shot before?

I honestly do find it ironic you use the term "hero" here.

why? he tried to be a hero and score a highlight reel goal instead of doing the simple, what you are taught to do when taking penalty kicks since you are a kid, strategy and decided to blast it towards the moon. i woudl love to meet ONE coach/manager who encourages their players to blast it top corner or under the bar on a penalty shot.

ditto...so what were you saying again?

Evertime I see it, I get really sad and disappointed. Ghana would have won.

Damn Suarez! Making Ghana miss penalties, how unjust and unfair! :cry:

• Like 1

In Basketball, if you swat away a ball while it's going in the hoop you get a foul and free throws for the other team.

Actually, in the NBA, that would be goaltending and if the person doing it is a defender, the offensive team gets the points automatically. In other words, goaltending=count the bucket.

Maybe international rules are different.

Suarez did the smart thing. Gyan tried to showboat and ****ed up Ghana's chances. Suarez's play might have been "dirty", but he was justly punished for it and Ghana had a chance to make the whole situation right again with an extremely easy goal. They failed.

The only reason this hand ball is such a big deal is because Ghana ****ed up. They had a penalty kick for the hand ball, and an opponent sent off with a red card... and they didn't win

He would have blocked it with his head anyway..

I doubt it, otherwise why didn't he? Wouldn't have got a red card, wouldn't have caused a penalty, wouldn't have trashed his name for a large number of people.

Yeah he cheated and yeah he got punished for doing so. Shame Ghana couldn't take advantage of the opportunity but at least Fifa are doing something about it. They are investigating the handball and may increase the one match ban.

Fifa probe Suarez handball