Best Linux os

Depends on how familiar you are with Linux!

If you are new-comer go for Linux Mint or Ubuntu. Fedora is also good, but you will have to find your way around

If you are power user and u have fair amount of knowledge of Linux go for Slackware or Gentoo or Debian.

Also if you have a powerful PC then u can install Windows as Virtual Machine. And if you want Windows as a permanent alternative use Win 7

I use Slackware because I can't stand distributions which force the package maintainers choice of dependencies every time you install a piece of software.

Otherwise I use CentOS for Servers.

If you're a newcomer, Mint, PCLinuxOS, Ubuntu, or Mepis would be the route to go.

If you want to dig a bit deeper and learn a bit more about the OS as a whole, Debian, Slackware, Arch, Fedora or Suse would be a good choice.

If you want to go crazy installing Linux, Gentoo for Linux from Scratch is where its at.

As previously stated, there is no 'best' distro. Just the ones you get comfortable with.

Linux Mint would be mice choice. Although I have debating Fedora. OpenSuSE used to be my favorite and I still like it.

I have Intel c2d e4500 cpu & Intel DG965WH m/b, SATA HDD, IDE DVD Writer, with Windows 7 installed.

what drivers do i need to install the Linux Mint or Ubuntu 10.04?

& will Mint/Ubuntu auto-configure dual booting?

You need to install the drivers for whatever doesn't work after you install Ubuntu

& will Mint/Ubuntu auto-configure dual booting?

Yes.

I have Intel c2d e4500 cpu & Intel DG965WH m/b, SATA HDD, IDE DVD Writer, with Windows 7 installed.

Generally Ubuntu will provide support for most hardware. The problems, if any, tend to occur with wireless networks and printer support.

Yeah my father insists that I set up a dualbooting system so I can have windows 7 secured on CPU while I play with other os's and you people are making ubuntu pretty appealing :D

As EVERYONE has been saying, go with Ubuntu.

However, dual booting is a great idea as you will find you often still need to go back to Windows for certain incompatiable apps. That is, until you learn how to configure and use WINE and even then there would still be some issues.

Linux From Scratch :D

Smarty-pants! :p

The real smartass answer would be "GNU" is the best OS for the Linux kernel. But that would be just pedantic and unproductive. :shifty:

I would go with *buntu for a good starter distro. In fact, I have been using solely Linux at home without any Microsoft on my PC for what.. 7 years? And I use Xubuntu. It is just easy.

Other people have mentioned Mint. That is also a good recommendation, from what I have heard of that distro. (Y)

each flavor of Linux has it's strengths and weaknesses and targeted audience. go for Ubuntu as it's the popular and easy(not saying it is any easier than any other linux distro) but of course if you want something that resembles Windows then Linux Mint or Kubuntu will fit the bill.

Ubuntu if you just want to get your feet wet with Linux.

Debian if you have experience with Linux.

Fedora is also a good choice.

Redhat if you want to spend money.

Windows 7 if you want a real OS.

This.

Few can tell you for sure what is the best distro out of a bazillion of them.

I've tried Ubuntu and it's good, so is Fedora that my friends use, so is [distro name here].Really, there's not that much of difference between most of the distros.

I personally love Ubuntu, but I installed both ubuntu and Mint for my wife to try on her laptop, and she loved mint more, so thats what it is running.

I tried many more Distros just to make sure I wasn't

turning into a Mint fanboy. I'm still sticking with Mint.

Also, Arch Linux can kiss my ass. I got it installed fine... but

installing the desktop environment was more trouble than it

was worth. Black Screen of Death for the suck.

Depends on how familiar you are with Linux!

If you are new-comer go for Linux Mint or Ubuntu. Fedora is also good, but you will have to find your way around

If you are power user and u have fair amount of knowledge of Linux go for Slackware or Gentoo or Debian.

Also if you have a powerful PC then u can install Windows as Virtual Machine. And if you want Windows as a permanent alternative use Win 7

This is the only reply that makes sense in this thread. Having tried Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Fedora and Slackware, I can only agree!

Also, Arch Linux can kiss my ass. I got it installed fine... but installing the desktop environment was more trouble than it was worth. Black Screen of Death for the suck.

I'm not saying one distro is any better than another, but installing a DE into Arch is very simple. "pacman -S kdemod" (or gnome, or whatever) One line. That's assuming of course you've gone and properly set up your video drivers and X server, the wiki explains it step by step.

Nah who am I kidding. Arch is better than the others. :) If you want it done for you, go with Windows or Ubuntu.

I'm not saying one distro is any better than another, but installing a DE into Arch is very simple. "pacman -S kdemod" (or gnome, or whatever) One line. That's assuming of course you've gone and properly set up your video drivers and X server, the wiki explains it step by step.

Nah who am I kidding. Arch is better than the others. :) If you want it done for you, go with Windows or Ubuntu.

You are my hero. :)

You are my hero. :)

You guys are one of the reasons we don't have more Linux users. The whole "We're better than

you because we're not idiots" attitude. If it was as simple as "why didn't you just type..." or

"if you had bothered to read the guide" then it wouldn't have been a problem. But when someone takes

to the time to point out they did all that, and still gets treated like they're just illiterate or something...

well, community is everything. The Linux users that talk down their noses to people are worse than

the Mac guys.