Best Linux os

mandriva 2010.1 is very nice as well. im running it since a few days. seems a bit faster in general than ubuntu to me.

You guys are one of the reasons we don't have more Linux users. The whole "We're better than you because we're not idiots" attitude.

Relax. I was fooling around, hence the smiley face. Never once did I insinuate that someone was illiterate or an idiot.. all I said was "the wiki explains it step by step", and it wasn't mentioned that he'd already checked it.. just that he couldn't get it going. What's the problem? Frankly it's this condescending bull**** that really ****es me off about many Linux users. Oh look, now I've gone and asterisked myself.

If I really wanted to be an elitist ass I'd start going on about how Linux sucks and why I prefer BSD over Linux on most of my *Nix machines. First thing I said.. "I'm not saying one distro is better than another", and I stick by that. I could honestly care less what other people run. I don't have a problem suggesting Windows either if they're wanting something simple to work with. I run a mixed environment of Linux, BSD and Windows. Do I care what the snobs think? Not in the least. As far as Linux distributions go, I still prefer Arch over anything else, because that's what has worked best for me.

mandriva 2010.1 is very nice as well. im running it since a few days. seems a bit faster in general than ubuntu to me.

Last time I messed with Mandriva I was pretty impressed by it.. seems to get overlooked a lot for some reason. Also messed with PCLinuxOS a while back too, 2007 version I think it was, another snappy one. (Still based on Mandriva? Been a while since I've looked at it.)

You guys are one of the reasons we don't have more Linux users. The whole "We're better than

you because we're not idiots" attitude. If it was as simple as "why didn't you just type..." or

"if you had bothered to read the guide" then it wouldn't have been a problem. But when someone takes

to the time to point out they did all that, and still gets treated like they're just illiterate or something...

well, community is everything. The Linux users that talk down their noses to people are worse than

the Mac guys.

I think you're having a private war in your head - 10,000 odd Windows users here on Neowin yet a handful of Linux peeps, not really antagonising anybody, are somehow managing to make you feel insignificant?

As an elitist Linux user I would say PEBKAC is your main issue.

Last time I messed with Mandriva I was pretty impressed by it.. seems to get overlooked a lot for some reason. Also messed with PCLinuxOS a while back too, 2007 version I think it was, another snappy one. (Still based on Mandriva? Been a while since I've looked at it.)

yeah i wonder why is that. i checked out mandriva on the web and loved the blue/silver interface and the fact that its claimed to be pretty easy yet powerful. some things i even like better than in ubuntu, thats for example the dolphin filemanager which really looks nice. and i learnt a bit more than with ubuntu as i had to configure more things on myself, for example the external monitor (by default mandriva was only and always just cloning the image instead of extending the desktop).

im gonna keep it for a bit to try and find out more, then i will give opensuse another try (the last time i didnt really liked it, it wouldnt recognize the external monitor at all for example)

and then i wanna try something more advanced/difficult. i dont know which one yet.

in long term i think i ll keep ubuntu as i have it perfectly configured and its easy and i can do everything i could with windows. (and my iphone works, i havent got it to work on mandriva yet)

Its been a while since i have use Mandriva, back then when i was completely new itried it and bing a noob i i could tell you one thing .. Mandriva was beautiful, but it was a bit confusing. I wasn't comfortable in it, and found the softwares (whatever the method was) difficult to get. It was Mandriva 2007 or something.

I played with it for a while but i switched back to Debian based distro again.

Start with Gentoo and REALLY learn how to use Linux.

Oh crap, how do I install this? wait, theres the source... compile... compile.... compile some more.... ****, doesnt work... compile, compile, compile, yay it works, but most of the features are missing... google so and so command line... compile, compile, compile, WOOT!!

Im a Ubuntu 10.04 fan, been with them since 7.0

I used to be a slackware/Vectorlinux junkie, but the last while I have moved strictly to Mint. It's far more polished and well thought out than Ubuntu, but is just as user friendly, and stuff usually "just works". I've been using linux for about 15years now and I just want something that works, but is still easily customized when i want to.

Dualbooting is always a good idea. Just remember to set up Windows first, then your Linux distro + GRUB Bootloader. Setting up Linux and then Windows is messy.

You can fix the messy part with EasyBCD. I actually use EasyBCD instead of GRUB as my main bootloader (Windows 7 & Linux Mint 9).

Ubuntu is the best linux os. You don't have to use the command line which is the reason why linux has little marketshare. It's the most userfriendly. I'd say dump all the rest of the linux distros and focus on Ubuntu. Best Linux OS ever :)

Ubuntu is the best linux os. You don't have to use the command line which is the reason why linux has little marketshare. It's the most userfriendly. I'd say dump all the rest of the linux distros and focus on Ubuntu. Best Linux OS ever :)

Well, I would have to agree that the out of the box experience in Ubuntu is pretty good, as it sets most things up for you. If I were to judge a distro only by its out of the box experience, I would have to say OpenSUSE is superior there though, it's a fair bit more polished than Ubuntu. Linux Mint, which is based on Ubuntu, is also better than Ubuntu itself.

That said, the end result is irrelevant, as any distro can be set up to look and act exactly the same. Plus, different distros have different goals. Do you think the folks at Gentoo for example care that the "clueless first timer" is avoiding them? No, they're probably pretty happy about it. Some distros aren't even designed for desktop usage at all, and have no business running a desktop environment, let alone pretending to be user friendly. Would I run the Ubuntu desktop installation on a server? Oh hell no.

Also, "dumping the rest of the Linux distros and focusing on Ubuntu"? Linux isn't created by a single entity.. it's all made by a bajillion different people and groups all over the world. If you want an operating system that's managed by one single group/company that has absolute authority over everything, Linux isn't for you anyway. Switch over to Windows or Mac if that's your thing.

And finally, telling everyone to switch to Ubuntu is flamebait :) Nerd-rage in 3.. 2.. 1..

First choice Fedora 13. Try it and you wont regret it.

Second choice Debian, and then OpenSuse 11.3.

Ubuntu is somewhere down on the list... It's really a dumbed down distro of Linux, but some people like it so try it out...

I'm still pretty fond of Linux Mint.

The right-click uninstall option on applications in the Menu is a nice feature.

I tried out Arch to learn more about the file system since you're pretty well forced to, unlike the Ubuntu

distributions. The rolling distro option was nice in theory... but I've discovered that I'm a re-install junkie.

Not that I have to... I just do. Starting fresh every now and again is fun.

Right now I'm playing with the distro creators, starting with Suse Studio. THAT has been an experience.

Where Arch was teaching me individual system files, Studio is teaching me packages and dependencies:

needs and conflicts.

THAT has been an experience. Where Arch was teaching me individual system files, Studio is teach me packages and dependencies: needs and conflicts.

I don't doubt it. SUSE I thought was always presented very well, and all in all a solid distribution, but every time I tested it, I kept banging my head against the wall with their package manager. It's probably just me, along with a case of RTFM, but their package manager drove me absolutely nuts, especially when it came to handling dependencies and version conflicts.

I don't doubt it. SUSE I thought was always presented very well, and all in all a solid distribution, but every time I tested it, I kept banging my head against the wall with their package manager. It's probably just me, along with a case of RTFM, but their package manager drove me absolutely nuts, especially when it came to handling dependencies and version conflicts.

I totally agree. Several of our customers run SLES 10 and 11 for their production needs, and we have several test clients running openSUSE for development. I believe it was 10.2 going to 10.3 (or maybe 10.3 to the next version) where they made the change to the package manager and still haven't recovered IMO. Most of the SUSE developers at work still run the 10.x version prior to the package manager change, and refuse to upgrade.

Right now I'm playing with the distro creators, starting with Suse Studio. THAT has been an experience.

Where Arch was teaching me individual system files, Studio is teaching me packages and dependencies:

needs and conflicts.

Since you're playing around with distro creators, you might want to check this article out :

Click

Some pretty good suggestions here, even though some don't meet the 'distro creator' title. Instalinux is really interesting.

The Studio app is a pain in the ass. Just when I think I've got a BASE .iso created, it doesn't run.

By that, I mean I'm lucky to get to a command prompt after installation. Adding "suggested" packages

only makes it worse. Terrible experience so far.

Selecting a Linux Distro is very hard these days. There are so many good choices out

now. My first computer I used was a micro vax system. I then moved on to a ultra

one. I also had a Compaq desktop and laptop. I've moved to Gentoo 1.3. It wasn't

the easiest to learn, but it had a lot of documents and the forums are very good too.

I still use Gentoo and I don't plan on changing. I have a Win7 desktop for gaming and

the Gentoo box for everything else. Their is another distro called Sabayon based

on Gentoo and its very good too. I've tried Ubuntu, but I didn't like it. I prefer Gentoo

more because I have control over the packages and config of the system.

As far as i could read this thread, i have seen almost all the distributions mentioned, and i agree with 2 things distros are for purpose. If one tries to use Ubuntu on a server system, I doubt he/she would be satisfied. Also to say that geekier a person is, more he moves towards Gentoo :D

Second thing that i can agree on was SUSE. Till early 10.2 or 10.3 I used to love it, but ever since I am irked by it.

Apparently, I disagree with all of you that *buntu somehow lacks somewhere or is deficient. The best thing about that distribution is its support and huge community. There wasn't a thing that i couldn't find about *buntu written somewhere. Plus improving upon UI has really made it a distro for even the newbies. Saying this i would also say that Mint sometimes scores better.

Right now using jolicloud on my laptop, the best introductory linux I've used, hands down. Detected everything, installs everything with one click, minimalistic GUI that even my mother learned to use without me explaining a thing.

Right now using jolicloud on my laptop, the best introductory linux I've used, hands down. Detected everything, installs everything with one click, minimalistic GUI that even my mother learned to use without me explaining a thing.

Jolicloud looks pretty cool! Too bad it's netbook only, so to say... Nonetheless, I am tempted to try it on my desktop just for the fun of it ;)