Rep Changes

oh i can see it available for me in everyone's post

capturefuq.png

yeah they need to take that off of there or something.Its like temping you to try it even though you can't.

Wow some people just can't be helped, even when we bust our balls trying to explain it so a 5 year old can understand it.

You can't fix stupid.

oh i can see it available for me in everyone's post

capturefuq.png

yep, that is a limitation of IPB apparently, so though we an see it, it does not do anything when we click it.

Look at brentaal's reputation.

Look at his post history.

Check which of his posts were upvoted.

Realise why the reputation system changes were made.

Yeah.....I asked for pictures not more text...jks, I understand why *this* change was made, I just dont understand the point of the rep system as it stands atm. Also Neptune raised a good point, were going to alot of effort to correct a few trolls who are the minority....there is no way in hades you would waste time on this without the rep/karma system intended to have some form of active benefit.

Anyway with the system as it stands atm all youre doing is giving rep publicity and the system doesnt stop a person strolling into rwi, picking sides or making cheap comments, getting +50 rep and coping the cpl of negative points from the mcvs.

Now, I visit quite a few forums with the newly implemented + - feature and none of those places it represents the quality of the poster, everywhere it's a popularity contest because that's just human nature apparently. So

how the community treat the rep system, whether they want to use it as a quality assurance measurement ( fat chance ) or just give props to friends and strangers who says something you laughed at, found funny, agree with etc.

it's still our choice how we decide to use it? From these explanations it just sounds like you guys aren't satisfied with human nature and want to create a harmonious little ecosystem that needs to be babied and breast fed every 3 minute to work?

Isn't it completely up to the overall community to decide how they want to credit each other based on some completely meaningless reputation system?

Well then we should just disable the thing if thats how its going to work, but I have been to forums where the amount of helpful posts outweighs their popularity votes.

And reps do work... I see plenty of sites where comments are hidden due to low reps. And when you make the comment visible, you'll see that indeed, the comment was crap. Not exactly the same thing here, as only + rep points can be given, but the system does work as intended, and us adding this feature helps us to get it more accurate.

We aren't the thought police, but when you have an obvious troll/flamebait post, that get reps from other trolls (we can see who reps what), you can understand that the post they are repping isn't helpful, and that's what we are trying to stop.

I disabled reputation system, because our attempt to better this community by giving MVC's and staff a way to show a posters fault by derailing threads was just counter acted by a few trolls, who then up-voted beyond what it already was.

Nice going guys.

Yet again trolls win, good guys lose.

Here is a real world example for everyone so perhaps you see how this can be used.

Yesterday I had to clean a thread in the Gamers Hangout of some 20 odd comments. Multiple people went off topic. Since it takes two to tango, I cleaned the thread, posted that I cleaned it, and did not warn anyone, as quite frankly warnings would have been a bit harsh since there were two willing sides going back and forth, and in this extreme case about 5 members all together.

So now, before I delete all those comments, I can go ahead and quickly negative rep the ones that really stood out to me as being way Off Topic and/or borderline of deserving a warning. What this will hopefully do is maybe encourage members to not keep going and going off topic.

That is how I personally see this being used from my end. And also of course how Neobond stated as well. But this is a real world example I can provide were it would be warranted, and in this case I think it makes perfect sense.

EDIT - And nevermind, see it has been disabled that quickly. Shame, I thought in the example I provided above, it made real sense, and showed it would not be abused, only used when needed.

I disabled reputation system, because our attempt to better this community by giving MVC's and staff a way to show a posters fault by derailing threads was just counter acted by a few trolls, who then up-voted beyond what it already was.

Nice going guys.

There was nothing wrong with the old upvote-only system. Surely you should be using the warning system for people who derail threads and troll... :/

Nice going guys.

:( I'm sad to hear this

Nice going guys.

as always! :(

Osiris is the biggest hypocrite I have ever seen. Complaining about people trolling in RWN and getting rep by trolling this thread and being a ****.

Here is a real world example for everyone so perhaps you see how this can be used.

Yesterday I had to clean a thread in the Gamers Hangout of some 20 odd comments. Multiple people went off topic. Since it takes two to tango, I cleaned the thread, posted that I cleaned it, and did not warn anyone, as quite frankly warnings would have been a bit harsh since there were two willing sides going back and forth, and in this extreme case about 5 members all together.

So now, before I delete all those comments, I can go ahead and quickly negative rep the ones that really stood out to me as being way Off Topic and/or borderline of deserving a warning. What this will hopefully do is maybe encourage members to not keep going and going off topic.

That is how I personally see this being used from my end. And also of course how Neobond stated as well. But this is a real world example I can provide were it would be warranted, and in this case I think it makes perfect sense.

EDIT - And nevermind, see it has been disabled that quickly. Shame, I thought in the example I provided above, it made real sense, and showed it would not be abused, only used when needed.

That could have worked, if not for this:

And it's a decent example but unfortunately, reputation is meaningless as it holds no value. So a guy loses one or two reputation points, will he bat an eyelid? No chance in hell. The points needs to be made a lot more

valuable and have to hold some sort of importance somewhere for that sort of system to ever have an effect.

Doesn't matter now since it's gone :p

There was nothing wrong with the old upvote-only system. Surely you should be using the warning system for people who derail threads and troll... :/

ditto.

The up-vote system was fine. No reason to disable it. :)

It's clear today that the upvote system was abused too, so whats the point of having it?

It might be an idea to just allow staff to downvote and block the rep system from everyone else.

Seriously don't let the trolls get under your skin. Just turn the rep system back on (with the changes you implemented today) and ignore all the illegitimate complaints. As a wise man once said, don't feed the trolls.

If you don't feel like doing that, ever thought of only enabling it on select "Help" sections? That way much less nonsense would likely get voted up and as moderators tend to be a tad stricter on those forums, anything too offtopic would be deleted anyway. Sounds like the best of both worlds.

Osiris is the biggest hypocrite I have ever seen. Complaining about people trolling in RWN and getting rep by trolling this thread and being a ****.

I havent complained about a thing, I've just been discussing flaws and issues as I saw them with the system. At the end of the day im here often enough to know whose opinion I like and dislike, I dont waste my time going into a profile to read a number to tell me if I should value what you say. However, its a part of the boards, I like and enjoy these boards so I discussed it.

It's clear today that the upvote system was abused too, so whats the point of having it?

It might be an idea to just allow staff to downvote and block the rep system from everyone else.

It was 'abused' by the same few select members ever since the upgrade. It couldn't have been that bad if you've only just realised.

Bring it back! I usually make good thoughtful post's and the majority of my posts got up voted because of my view on things not because I trolled. I enjoyed checking my profile to see if I got any new rep points because it ment someone was agreeing with me. Bring them back!

Sorry but when I look at certain profiles of active members here with serious (long) warn logs and see their rep is huge, it makes me think the system is completely worthless.

We're already talking about adding a system that rewards true good contribution to the site, and that will be added in due course. This system is useless.