Apple Creating Mysterious "New Revolutionary Feature" for OS X

Apple Creating Mysterious "New Revolutionary Feature" In the Heart of Mac OS X

Apple is definitely excited about a new mysterious feature that "will truly amaze everyone [...] a new and revolutionary feature for Mac OS X." The extreme hyperbole in their latest job offer is surprising, and it doesn't stop there:

Are you looking to help create something totally new? Something that has never been done before and will truly amaze everyone? Are you excited by the prospect that what you helped create would be used every day by millions of Apple customers? Then come and work on with the Mac OS X software engineering team to help build a new and revolutionary feature for Mac OS X.

We are looking for a senior software engineer to help us create a revolutionary new feature in the very foundations of Mac OS X. We have something truly revolutionary and really exciting in progress and it is going to require your most creative and focused efforts ever.

I was getting excited until I saw the requirements asking for "experience with developing for Internet technologies and services." And then I got even more excited, because maybe this means they are taking cloud integration seriously at last.

Here's the complete ad:

500x_screen_shot_2010-07-30_at_9.50.34_am_01.jpg

Link: Apple job ad

Source: Gizmodo

Interesting. The tidbit about requiring experience with HTTP definitely sounds like cloud integration. Or it could just be something for Safari. Who knows? :p

"New Revolutionary" in Apple's terms means "Lets take an idea someone else already did, and put in our product and say we did it first."

"New Revolutionary" in Apple's terms means "Lets take an idea someone else already did, and put in our product and say we did it first."

sad but true.

Yeap. Maybe polish it a bit, just to say it's an Apple original idea. whistle.gif

The thing is Apple does tend to make things work in a way everyone can use it and make things successful were other companies pretty much failed.

I'm not taking it literally. I think it's just an ad to get you to come in and brainstorm with them. It's the same train of thought he's had since day one.

Jobs has always been obsessed with the GUI side of things, so of course he's looking for new ways to revolutionize it.

I could be wrong but that's my theory.

These days it's hard to do anything new without someone else having thought of it or done it first. Apple's "twist" on a lot of its new features is bringing it to a level where "mom and dad" can use it. Take Time Machine, for example ? backups have been around as long as computers, but Time Machine is the first backup system I've seen that:

1) Is simple enough for my mom to set up

2) Requires no additional effort at all to remain backed up

3) Has an understandable interface for trawling through the many backups and restoring what you want

I'm not a malicious person but I hope somebody gets the job who can sneak a massive backdoor into the OS and kill it. This Apple is going rotten IMO.

These days it's hard to do anything new without someone else having thought of it or done it first. Apple's "twist" on a lot of its new features is bringing it to a level where "mom and dad" can use it. Take Time Machine, for example — backups have been around as long as computers, but Time Machine is the first backup system I've seen that:

1) Is simple enough for my mom to set up

2) Requires no additional effort at all to remain backed up

3) Has an understandable interface for trawling through the many backups and restoring what you want

Take previous versions for example.

1) Doesn't require setting up.

2) Doesn't require any effort. It's all background controlled.

3) Uses the windows explorer interface.

Amazing. Or you can use the Backup that comes with Windows. Exactly same points as above and its been in Windows for years now.

I'm not a malicious person but I hope somebody gets the job who can sneak a massive backdoor into the OS and kill it. This Apple is going rotten IMO.

You want someone to work at apple and then add a back door to kill the OS, sorry i don't understand why you would want this? Do you use a mac and have a problem with snow leopard or leopard? I love Apple products but i wouldn't want someone to add a massive hole in windows just to destroy it, not that it's going to happen.

As mentioned above by many other posters, apple does add a lot of polish to their products and make them easy and beautiful to look at. Take time machine, very visual, giving users a good indication of how it works, take Microsoft previous versions, lifted straight from Windows 2003 server no UI enchancements at all, no wonder not many people know of it's exsistence let alone know how to use it, which is a real shame as the technology works really well (even though they perform different styles of backups).

Amazing. Or you can use the Backup that comes with Windows. Exactly same points as above and its been in Windows since like XP.

It's funny though because I've never seen average Joe use it. Yet when Mac OS X Leopard was released average Joe did go out and buy an external drive for Time Machine. Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming in any way that Windows Backup is any harder to use than Time Machine or less effective. However, I just don't see people (especially the non-power users) actually using it.

sorry i don't understand why you would want this?

Because he's just one of the many people here that tend to start blurting out silly things when Apple is involved? Just a guess and I wouldn't take it too seriously if I were you. ;)

Safari with Webkit2 will be getting sandbox technology. My guess is that they are planning to integrate Safari into Finder. This was done back in the day with Internet Explorer. Maybe Chrome/Dreamscape with true Cloud integration, and a personalized, intranet services experience.

This is likely about integrating the iOS applications into Mac OS X. It seems like it could be done through a client/server. The likely beginning of an App Store for all.

It's funny though because I've never seen average Joe use it. Yet when Mac OS X Leopard was released average Joe did go out and buy an external drive for Time Machine. Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming in any way that Windows Backup is any harder to use than Time Machine or less effective. However, I just don't see people (especially the non-power users) actually using it.

Apple marketing at its best? LOL

Windows Vista / 7 informs you about backups when you first start it and you're given the option of setting one up via the action center. If you choose to do so, or be like me, and not bother its upto you.

I personally have no reason to backup an entire hardive apart from using previous versions. 2 hardrives in my laptop, windows and programs on one and my documents, music, work stuff on another. Never had a hardrive fail on me and both these drives have seen some very heavy usage (roughly both drives have like 14000-15000 hours on them in 2 years), still working perfectly. I'm sure there are people out there that have no need for a regular backup. If I'm about to make a major system wide change, I just copy over the important files to my external hardrive or my desktop.

Apple marketing at its best? LOL

It works doesn't it? Next to that Apple doesn't sell external drives, so there is not much gain for them there. Except to promote Mac OS X and to highlight a very useful feature. They sell more Macs / Mac OS X (Snow) Leopard copies, the external HD market got a huge impulse, while leaving Mac users protected from data loss. What's the harm here? I don't get it.

Windows Vista / 7 informs you about backups when you first start it and you're given the option of setting one up via the action center. If you choose to do so, or be like me, and not bother its upto you.

Same thing applies to Mac OS X' Time Machine. However, like I said, I actually see the average Joe use that feature or their Macs, not so much on Windows. And that's the difference we were talking about. Obviously there are always going to be people (like you and me, as I'm fully aware of Time Machine but don't use it either) that have their reasons not to use the feature, be it on Windows or Mac OS X.

Never had a hardrive fail on me and both these drives have seen some very heavy usage (roughly both drives have like 14000-15000 hours on them in 2 years), still working perfectly.

Then you're lucky more so than anything else. Also you should keep in mind that Time Machine isn't targeted at hardware failure only, but also user error like accidentally trashing a file or overwriting one.

Jesus, even the job ad is smug and pretentious.

Will the new "feature" be magical?

every single job ad from apple is like that, go see it yourself at the website