OpenOffice 3.3.0 RC10 out NOW!

I hate to say it but the ribbon and aero-ness does help. Which is why I will probably pay the 150+ for the home edition of 2010 instead of download Open Office.

You could pay $150 dollars for a ribbon interface and a few Windows centric features? You can essentially get a low-end version of the home edition online for free.

Some of us who look at something the whole day would like it not to look as ugly as sin. I look at my Word interface the whole day, I like things that are attractive and pleasing to the eye in the same way that I don't have a house that looks like a tip. There is more to life than just something that is 'functional'.

Microsoft Office is very functional, more so then Open Office, but it is not a thing of beauty. I don't think any word process can be. In essence though you should at least be asking your employer to provide you with a Mac and a copy of either Office 2011 (when released) or better yet, Nisus Writer, instead of Office 2007/2010 on (god I hope not XP) Windows Vista or Windows 7.

• 2 months later...

libre office has a prettier interface than open office, its the new trunk for open office.

It's the same, they did not have the time do to much with the UI. In fact, Beta2 still have some OpenOffice reference in it.

Using OpenOffice or LibreOffice is like going back to MS Office 95. It works, but feels dated. Once you get used to the ribbon and having all the features at hands without searching, you can't go back to menu based Office.

It's the same, they did not have the time do to much with the UI. In fact, Beta2 still have some OpenOffice reference in it.

Using OpenOffice or LibreOffice is like going back to MS Office 95. It works, but feels dated. Once you get used to the ribbon and having all the features at hands without searching, you can't go back to menu based Office.

On my desktop, I have MS office because I got it for free(Student edition from uni). But on my laptop, I have open office because MS office takes more hd space and a lot of screen area, & it's free.

It's good that we have a free choice, right?

using office 2007+ is fun? Office suites aren't fun by definition, they are for doing work on :p Ribbons don't save you that much time!

I disagree. I'm very accustomed to the Ribbon and now I can't go back to a more traditional drop-down menu system.

It's like using the Start menu on WinXP for the first time... It was different from the cascading menus in Windows 9x but was far superior once you got used to it. Same is true of the Ribbon.

Have they update the UI yet? (I seem to have to ask this every time there's a release LOL :p)

Doesn't look like it, it's still using non-native Windows widgets from what I can tell. And it will never have the Ribbon, as Microsoft won't allow it for competing office suites.

Guys seriously. It's an OFFICE program. Get real with the "it's not fun" and "it looks ugly" comments.

You open it, you type up your work, you save it, you print it, you close it. BIG DEAL if it doesn't have a ribbon or look pretty.

It's free, it's functional. That's good enough for me, and many more.

No, it is a big deal. User interface is everything. You can have the most full-featured software package in the world but if it's so ugly and poorly designed that you need to read a 500-page manual to use it, nobody will ever use it.

OpenOffice is very interesting.

Don't forget the spinoff's as well.

OxygenOffice - http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/ooop/wiki

(With focus on Templates, cliparts, fonts, samples that OO is generally missing)

IBM Lotus Office - http://symphony.lotus.com/software/lotus/symphony/home.nsf/products

(Interface re-design)

OpenOffice Novell Edition - http://www.novell.com/products/openofficewindows/

(Tweaked to be more refined for business use / bundle with SUSE - Until there been UI / Font refinement Novell's version had those subtle touches missing for so long. they also had a much better Office 2007 file support initially)

LibreOffice - http://www.documentfoundation.org/download/

(Memebers from OO that want to break away from Oracle)

I could be missing more

i cant trust a program that cant write a proper changelog, not to mention the layout of it. ( Tables? What year is this? )

And for worst, it has been like this for YEARS!.

If one have to use OpenOffice they should definitely try IBM Lotus Symphony.

Um, you have to search as well if you don't know where a function is on the Ribbon. I don't see any difference there.

Sure the interface is horrible, things pop out and then dissapear for example. The interface DOES NOT look like MS Word 2003 or something, it looks like Ubuntu 8 interface recolored to match Windows. Notice that the buttons are pretty big, there is a lot of space between them - pre-2007 office buttons are more closely together.

It is not as much the interface as the lack of compatibility with MS Office files. For example, a three page syllabus from a Russian history class will be seven pages in OpenOffice because of incorrect rendering of tables. It is readable though.

• 2 weeks later...

For me its not about fun but about accessibility and the Ribbon interface is the winner hands down. For it I came to know about features i didn't know existed.

Does this version support references and citations? I use MS office on my PC, and it's brilliant at managing all sources, the in-text citations and bibliography - but I can't figure out how to do anything similar with OO.org 3.2 on my netbook (linux). Ideally, it would be compatible with the Word 2007 format so that I can work on the same document on each computer.

That's the thing with open source trying to out do commercial proprietary. Too many people creating too many different projects from one source. And people wonder why open source doesn't pwn Microsoft already or even catch on for that matter. :/ Now how long will LibreOffice last before it too, succumbs?