PS3 finally hacked?

So does this basically just let you install games to the HDD? Or can you also use the Internet to download a backup of a game...that, of course, you already have but is broken?

So does this basically just let you install games to the HDD? Or can you also use the Internet to download a backup of a game...that, of course, you already have but is broken?

It looks to allow the ability to play games via an external drive that yes probably can be downloaded.

So do you have to buy the USB stick they're selling? Just asking because they've got the manager for download on their website and wondering if you can't just put that on any USB stick?

so if this is on a USB stick, could you not backup that stick onto other sticks??

Doesnt say a USB stick, its a USB DONGLE which implies it has other hardware in it than just a simple USB thumb drive.

I'm not even sure it can do the latter.

From what I've read it will let you backup games from legit disks you own and play them as long as there is some legit disk in the drive, no iso's etc. or downloading from the internet, I'm pretty sure I read that it only works on the PS3 you back it up to.

The biggest piracy problem I can see happening is if at this point you can't run illegally obtained material, that people will go and start renting titles and not buying them or lending them form friends etc.

So do you have to buy the USB stick they're selling? Just asking because they've got the manager for download on their website and wondering if you can't just put that on any USB stick?

I'll have a go, but as Richard Hammond said, it's referred to as a USB Dongle, not a standard USB drive.

That video doesn't do it any favours though. Anyone could have been down with the PS3 to change the game discs. I've downloaded that Backup manager file but I don't know where it goes on my memory stick, suppose I'll have to try it in a few different places. PS3 -> GAME must be right... :\

EDIT: Well I put that file all over my memory stick and there's no way it's showing up anywhere. That video...it looks like they must have copied that file to the hard drive somehow. I think I might try, does anyone know what the hard drive looks like once it's connected up to a computer? Could I easily copy that file over and not corrupt everything?

That video doesn't do it any favours though. Anyone could have been down with the PS3 to change the game discs. I've downloaded that Backup manager file but I don't know where it goes on my memory stick, suppose I'll have to try it in a few different places. PS3 -> GAME must be right... :\

EDIT: Well I put that file all over my memory stick and there's no way it's showing up anywhere. That video...it looks like they must have copied that file to the hard drive somehow. I think I might try, does anyone know what the hard drive looks like once it's connected up to a computer? Could I easily copy that file over and not corrupt everything?

Ozmodchips is the most respected modchip supplier in Australia he wouldnt risk his reputation on this.. And you can't just copy the files off there website onto a USB stick and expect it to work. Theres more to it then that, its not just a flashdrive. Think of it more like an R4 cart.

I wouldn't try anything yet, there is obviously a reason for the dongle being used. That may be the way of getting it onto the machine. I'd just wait and see for the final product etc.

I know, I was just testing as someone on the previous page said someone should test it. That dongle must do something special, then.

@AbandonedTrolley Yeah, but they have said that they're now shipping worldwide but I can't see it anywhere, unless it's on OzModChips? *looks*

Lucky I dont play online.. my PS3 wont be getting updated. Waits for new meme after update, PS3 HAS

NOUSB

Hehe, thankfully this is just not a possiblity. Sony themselves have released too many peripherals that rely on the USB functions. I've no doubt that Sony will try find a way to stop this. As mentioned just padding out a critical file to 4gb+ stops this exploit currently.

Looks interesting but with the amount of fakes so far and people "giving up" (Geohot), waiting with caution.

All Sony need to do is block the device itself first, then everyone needs to just buy a new one. But they need to do that before everyone buys one because remember, it features a forced firmware blocker so you can go online with any firmware. Ideal I suppose for those still on 3.20 or whatever.

If it's true that they used sony's SDK tools to do this, can't sony just block all software/certificates created with that version of the SDK and bitchslap developers who made games with that SDK to release a patch (Or more than likely do the work themselves) ?

I just feel weird. It says it use Fat32 format. But....

The maximum possible size for a file on a FAT32 volume is 4 GiB minus 1 byte (232−1 bytes)

From Wiki.

So, how can a ps3 game be smaller than 4gb? Unless it is not packed into 1 file?

Ok, for a non-PS3 tech, how does this work? Is it a device you purchase or software? How big are the games that are backed up from disk? Im guessing they will be larger than 10gig in most circumstances?

I dont own a PS3, i just like knowing and trying to learn this kind of stuff...

Here's the FAQ off OzModChips (stolen from source code as I can't get onto the website, hehe):

<p>FAQ:</p>

<p>Q: What firmware version does PS JailBreak it work on?</p>

<p>A. It apparently works on a couple of old firmware verisons, but it was designed for the latest firmware version 3.41</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Q. Does PS Jailbreak allow you to dump ps2 games, ps1 game, Blu ray movies?</p>

<p>A. No, just PS3 games. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Q. Does PS JailBreak allow every game to work?</p>

<p>A. Apparently 150 games have been tested, and they all work. If a game happens to have 1 file over 4gb the program will not be able to rip the game onto the harddrive. Apparently the worl around is to dump it on an internal hardrive</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Q. Can I still play online with PS Jailbreak?</p>

<p>A. When today (19.08.2010) you can, we can't guarantee you will never be banned for using the 3rd party device. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>Q. Can Sonly block this with firmware updates?</p>

<p>A. Probably. The have have the USb dongle firmware upgradable, but you can never predict the future. This is made to work with 3.41. If you happen to download an install an update which is higher then this then it is your doing. We will not accept stock back as "faulty" if you have upgraded your firmware</p>

@DrCheese Many developers wouldn't patch their games though and no one would be around to patch Modern Warfare 2.

@tanjiajun_34 Read the above FAQ, if 1 file is over 4GB then the game cannot be dumped. I don't know how many games have a file that large in it but assuming they have tested 150 games and they all work then it can't be that many.

@Panacik We don't really know. Multiformat PS3 games can be a little larger than their Xbox counterparts if the devs use up all the space but sometimes it can be condensed down to 3GB, like LittleBigPlanet has been on the PlayStation Store. This device is indeed hardware that puts the PS3 into a mode of some sort that allows you to dump games to an internal or external hard drive.

Metal Gear Solid 4 used a dual-layer Blu-ray disc that has 50GB of space but I don't know how much of this space was used up. Final Fantasy...well, one of those used 25GB of space, but apparently a lot of that was duplicate files and movies.

Video of the second test of the PS Jailbreak:

I just feel weird. It says it use Fat32 format. But....

The maximum possible size for a file on a FAT32 volume is 4 GiB minus 1 byte (232−1 bytes)

From Wiki.

So, how can a ps3 game be smaller than 4gb? Unless it is not packed into 1 file?

Your right, the games arn't in 1 file, you will see when unpacking it unpacks every single file kind of like a computer game on your harddrive. PS3 games arnt as big as the needed bluray space anyway.. Most games weigh in around 10gb or so.

Ok, for a non-PS3 tech, how does this work? Is it a device you purchase or software? How big are the games that are backed up from disk? Im guessing they will be larger than 10gig in most circumstances?

I dont own a PS3, i just like knowing and trying to learn this kind of stuff...

Think of it as a R4 gamekart people use for there DS. The dongle is running software off a sony devkit, which in turn allows you to run code not signed. So its allowing you to run assigned code which means backing the game up to a connected harddrive or USB device then executing the game as it bypases Sonys security protection. It uses there own code which they give out to game developers and such, most games arnt that big and dont even need bluray and mostly weigh in about 10gb. Think of all the multiplats that look and run the same on 360 with less then 8gbs of space on a disc. The only games that would use more then usual would be first party games.

For the hell of it I downloaded that 'Backup Manager' in the download section on that website. The file is a manager.PKG file which is an installer extension for OS X which failed to launch on my Hackintosh.

Just thought that was epic fail :p

Just because it uses the same extension as an installer package for OS X doesn't mean that it IS an installer for OS X, or that it will run there. I've seen MANY different extensions that get reused all over the place by different companies.