PS3 finally hacked?

I just tested the software they uploaded and can confirm it works so far.

I can tell a bit about the backup manager. It seems the software uses bd_emu features to manage the backups. The HDD to use, should have a modified bd emu format, which sets all backups on first position, so the PS3 detects 'em all. Then you can choose the image to boot via the manager.

To directly copy and boot a game, the software would need to decrypt all layers on the fly. Meaning it decrypts all executables somehow, else it won't run. Even on a debug unit.

The hardware look like a copy of the original PS3 jigstick, used in SONY service centers to repair broken PlayStation3 SKU's. Someone internal leaked or sold a stick, so they had the chance to reverse and clone the hardware.

The stick should boot before the normal firmware does, so it's hard to patch it. Maybe SONY could update the bootcode to prevent it, set it to a revoke list.

I've played Demons Souls for nearly 100 hours and the disc is mint rofl.gif

Please don't tell me I need to play for 200 hours? :(

Trying to counter someones claim by saying it doesn't happen to you isn't a good counter at all.

To everyone insulating this is going to lead to pirating, your right it is.

If your hurt, upset, saddened, disappointed, etc. Then too bad.

Welcome to the internet. We ignore feelings/your morals here.

ON topic:

I'd by me a ps3 in a heartbeat if this lead to a bust of sweet sweet homebrew.

Tho I have to say I'm more interested in the cat and mouse game between Sony and the ps3 modding scene.

I wonder how will they counter each other....

Trying to counter someones claim by saying it doesn't happen to you isn't a good counter at all.

It's not a good initial statement either if it's just pulled out of thin air is it? rofl.gif

No website (except CNET) is currently reporting it because noone has this dongle and has tried it out themselves.

Still VERY fishy. At least we are getting tech details in.

The hardware look like a copy of the original PS3 jigstick, used in SONY service centers to repair broken PlayStation3 SKU's. Someone internal leaked or sold a stick, so they had the chance to reverse and clone the hardware.

Someone internal is going to get paid ALOT of money for leaking this (they'll get fired but who gives a **** when they just made a cash pile of money leaking this)

BTW, the reason many might want to wait and and free exploit will come out, is that the PS3 is in debug mode and the security is basically "off". This means modders are inside and can find ways to get outside. Imagine a home with lasers blocking the front door. The lasers are turned off and the front door is unlocked, you go inside the home and put a mirror in front of the lasers and leave the front door unlocked. Lasers turned back on but they get reflected on the mirror, thus not blocking the front door and since the front door is unlocked you can roam freely.

Thats why right now the word is:

WAIT

Something will come soon :)

Even if Sony adds more security measures, most of the inside of the PS3 will be known so it will be easy to overcome.

I think Sony might have FINALLY lost the battle.

To everyone insulating this is going to lead to pirating, your right it is.

If your hurt, upset, saddened, disappointed, etc. Then too bad.

Welcome to the internet. We ignore feelings/your morals here.

ON topic:

I'd by me a ps3 in a heartbeat if this lead to a bust of sweet sweet homebrew.

Tho I have to say I'm more interested in the cat and mouse game between Sony and the ps3 modding scene.

I wonder how will they counter each other....

Exactly the same as the PS1, PS2 and PSP. Modders will always be out there, exploiting hardware and the major hardware companies will look for a short term fix to a minor problem whilst developing the latest "uncrackable" hardware keeping the software developers minds at ease.

I personally don't know of any hardware company to go out of business due to piracy of their hardware, It's software companies that take the hit, because they lose the sales. Consoles will sell by the bucket load if software is available for next to nothing.

I'm no saint, but I'm one those humans who will pay for something that they know will give them lots of entertainment - I purchased the Orange Box twice (Xbox 360 and on PC Steam)

There are so many sub-par games out there that only deserve ?10 but expect us to pay ?40. Call of duty MW2 being a great example - It's similar to Call of duty MW1, so charge ?20 for it, then charge ?8 per map pack. Don't charge us ?45 then ?8 per map pack!

They can only be real games, you can't just download a game from the Interwebz and install it on your PS3. This doesn't work like that.

I'm sure somebody can come up with a program that dumps a ps3 iso to usb harddrive

Sony could also use this as marketing

September 15 is when their dildo Playstation Move hits stores. Let the homebrew scene explode for 25 days, people buy consoles like crazy and then marketing twist it saying that Move is better than Kinect and Wii Remote because of the (false) units sold because everyone found out you can run backups on the PS3.

Patch it, people buy more consoles because they think Move really is better and profit.

The stick should boot before the normal firmware does, so it's hard to patch it. Maybe SONY could update the bootcode to prevent it, set it to a revoke list.

That's a bad bad idea. The wii recently pushed an update that updated boot portions and bricked a ton of wiis, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sony did it. Now I think about it, didn't Microsoft also do something similar to prevent jtaggings?

That's a bad bad idea. The wii recently pushed an update that updated boot portions and bricked a ton of wiis, but I wouldn't be surprised if Sony did it. Now I think about it, didn't Microsoft also do something similar to prevent jtaggings?

In Wii System Menu > 4.2 boot2 of the broadway processor was updated to a new revision in which killed all bootMii installations. PLEASE NOTE that the boot2 was still "upgraded" on virgin Wiis. The "updated" boot 2 code was proven to be unstable and Nintendo still pushed it out to fight piracy. They bricked a lot of virgin Wiis just to stop anti-piracy.....tsk tsk

Long story short....as long as Sony doesn't choose to push out unstable updates.....hopefully this will not repeat itself (for PS3s that is)

As long as games don't suddenly show up on torrents then this can only be a good thing.

The homebrew scene was VERY strong on the PSP a couple of years back, if that can be reproduced on the PS3 (I'm thinking emulators) then wow, the PS3 will sell an absolute crapload of machines.

Looks like this might be short lived if you care about PSN/possible future PS3 releases

This mod is basically a RETAIL TO DEBUG convertor, using a JIGCARD from SONY services.

If you look at VHS, it has some DEBUG things.

This JIG CARD(aka USB DONGLE) is used for devs and technicians from sony to launch BOOT INI from DEV_USB0.

Combining some buttons you can change the SYSCON status, who launch as a primary boot this dongle.

BOOTSTRAP is read and the files from dongle are launched and the RAM is making a false REBOOT.

The whole thing its an SYSCON FIRMWARE EMULATOR.

TRM "thinks" we have a debug unit and KERNEL DEBUG is loaded.

This way a DEBUG VSHMAIN (temporarily) allows unsigned code load.

Now you can launch PKGs from USB (that has an explorer to do that)

To launch BDEMU you need a disc to activate MEDIATYPE BD.

When you launch LOADER(from usb) BDDRIVE CHANNEL is closed(they cant share the same channel).

To eliminate LAYER, it needs a CELLFTP to extract decrypted files(no layer) and to convert those to DEBUG MODE.

Executer files can be created with SDK,and generated by the same loader that extract the LAYER, and using PS3GEN to create signed isos(patched).

Same way a 360 works(using a core debug)

The LOADER is executed via APP.

ELIMINATING the initial USB BOOT, its all SONY has to do to kill this mod, because SYSCON is the boss

http://forum.beyond3...8&postcount=492

Disabling usb boot would also prevent Sony's own JIGs from working, though.

True, they're probably royally screwed from this, but the only positive for them is I believe it will be real easy to ban PS3s if they're running in debug mode (on PSN) and this still hasn't reached the piracy simplicity of buying/copying discs and popping them in to play.

If debug keys are unique someone is going to be getting screwed up the ass from Sony.

I'm thinking that the cost of Sony making a work around for devs is small time compared to the loss of sales from this method of piracy.

As long as games don't suddenly show up on torrents then this can only be a good thing.

Games have been on torrents for YEARS. They are unuseable but they are still there.

Yeah I don't know if Sony can patch it. If it's a software exploit then it should be an easy enough patch. But if it's a hardware exploit, which is looking more probable, then it could be nigh on impossible to patch.

Games have been on torrents for YEARS. They are unuseable but they are still there.

Well...

It seems that they were indeed unusable for most of us that is.

However some people were able to play back ups judging by this post from xakmsx: http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_por-que-hay-algunos-backps-de-juegos-en%E2%80%8B-algunas-webs_1197956

(the thread starts with a question asking why there are backups of PS3 games in some webs)

and the answer

Reply dated March 9th 2009: They are there for those who have a PS3 Test and a very, very special USB pendrive

So long story short: A usb drive that Sony uses leaked and allows PS3 owners to do "things" developers are doing.

Can someone honestly believe that this can not be patched and blocked by Sony(chaneg the boot method and release new USB dongles for developers)? The only thing that is going to happen is more PS3's being turned to debug consoles.I do not believe that we are going to see widespread hacked PS3's as done with other consoles yet.

Just my thought though.Time will tell.

Apparently you can't apply game updates to an installed game, that's a massive fail right there :/

Can i ask again why would you want to back up your games?

Damaged/lost disks.

Well it's not like they're made of diamond...

Indeed they are not. Plenty of them have been scratched, lol. Visit playstation.com forums ;) I have had my PS3 scratch Resistance 1 on me, but I bought the replacement disk used so it wasn't a huge hit to the wallet.

Yeah I don't know if Sony can patch it. If it's a software exploit then it should be an easy enough patch. But if it's a hardware exploit, which is looking more probable, then it could be nigh on impossible to patch.

They will always find ways around any Sony patch though.

You all know what I find funny, and I mean in a humorous way?^^ Everything man made will be hacked / circumvented sooner or later if people want to. Be it video game consoles, PC security systems, computer based horse power locks on sport cars, communication protocols etc. The PS3 is and will be no exception as we see here. Some people will accept the loss of PSN and take the risk, some people will buy a second PS3, some people will simply do nothing. Same thing as with the 360 and the whole flashing

As much as people argue, even if Sony can stop it, people will continue to try and no arguing can save our beloved PS3 system. I for one don't care about pirated games, just give me access to flash0, I want to mess with all the .rcos and .prxs to create my own true custom GUI with a selfmade bootsound and Wave and whatnot^^

And I really hope if the PS3 one day can run homebrew the PCSX2 devs will code a special CellCore version so we can atleast play a few PS2 games, the only reason my PS2 still sits next to my PS3 is, that the PS3 can't do anything with PS2 games.... :pinch:

It IS a software exploit.

They are injecting boot code to bypass security & run the PS3 under dev conditions.