DX11 Coming To Linux (But Not XP)

As reported over at Phoronix, the Direct X 11 API now has an open source implementation on top of Gallium3d which should ease porting of games to Linux with or without Wine. While still in its infancy, you can see where this is heading. All this while Microsoft hasn't offered DX11 for their own aging WindowsXP. Could it be that Linux may soon support this Microsoft API better than Microsoft itself?

Source at Slashdot

If it's true that they're really going "open source" I'm sure someone will port it to WinXP soon enough

edit: nevermind didn't read the whole thing properly... while this is kinda cool I'm not sure we can expect anything out of it any time soon

If DX (in general) is every truly ported over to Linux natively, then I would probably switch to some form of Linux. Until then, games are just too large of my entertainment for me to switch to Linux.

I'd probably install Ubuntu as a single boot OS if Direct X can get fully implemented in some sort of way. I've been a long time Linux user and would love to make the switch, but I'm also a PC Gamer and unfortunately I can't switch fully.

I find your interest in XP touching Lechio. I had no idea you liked it so much.

I still have it on my PC and don't see the need to upgrade to something "better" (don't really use Windows that much anyway). But the main focus of this article is DX11 being ported to Linux, that's what interested me the most when reading about it.

It's being unofficially ported. and it's definately not EVER going to be "better" supported on linux than windows.

but then againk you definition of better is "as long as it's not windows, even if it crashes every 5 minutes and has terrible artifacting and slow as heck".

And yeah you may still be using XP, but you'll soon be alone. XP is losing marketshare, and it's losing it fast. 1-2% each month. and while that may sound not so muc and slow. it's definately not. that's all linux users monthly.

It's being unofficially ported. and it's definately not EVER going to be "better" supported on linux than windows.

but then againk you definition of better is "as long as it's not windows, even if it crashes every 5 minutes and has terrible artifacting and slow as heck".

And yeah you may still be using XP, but you'll soon be alone. XP is losing marketshare, and it's losing it fast. 1-2% each month. and while that may sound not so muc and slow. it's definately not. that's all linux users monthly.

:blink:

Who said the port was better in Linux?

And I couldn't care less if XP is still the number one OS version with more than 65% of market share. I use Linux as my OS because it works for me, what other people use it's up to them. If XP still works for them, it's not up to me or you to say they are wrong.

I still use XP but then I don't use my PC for gaming. If i was to build a gaming rig then Win 7 would be on it. I can understand why people use XP when they don't need any upgrades but when you start needing to patch it to run things then its time for an upgrade.

"Could it be that Linux may soon support this Microsoft API better than Microsoft itself?"

At the end of where you quoted at the start.

I'm not responsible for the article, I didn't write it. it's not my opinion. That's why it's quoted and a source is provided.

there are still users who use XP and at least half my family uses XP still and some use Windows 7(less than XP) and some including me use Linux and if Linux does get an open source type of Directx then Linux will be more able to get more users to get it as it will support games similar to Windows.

You still have people in your family that you talk to enough to know they exist using XP? I ended that "problem" when Vista came around so everyone I know is using Vista/7/Ubuntu.

Porting this to XP is like trying to take a racehorse to the Kentucky Derby years past its prime and expecting it to win the race. It is too old and weak to be relavent anymore. It was good in its day (to some).

I love the non sequitur logic of the article though. Just because some Linux dev is attempting to port DX11 Microsoft needs to back peddle it to every OS since the dawn of man.

I'm not responsible for the article, I didn't write it. it's not my opinion. That's why it's quoted and a source is provided.

:huh:

You asked "Who said the port was better in Linux?"

I answered that it was in the article you quoted.

What does this have to do with your opinion at all? That's a strangely evasive response.

And I couldn't care less if XP is still the number one OS version with more than 65% of market share. I use Linux as my OS because it works for me, what other people use it's up to them. If XP still works for them, it's not up to me or you to say they are wrong.

your stats are outdated. way outdated. and you just said you used XP, soo...

your stats are outdated. way outdated. and you just said you used XP, soo...

Sorry my bad, it's not 65%, it's about 61% now: http://marketshare.hitslink.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10

Yes, I have XP installed on my computer and use it, occasionally. Am I doing something wrong by still using that OS?

:huh:

You asked "Who said the port was better in Linux?"

I answered that it was in the article you quoted.

What does this have to do with your opinion at all? That's a strangely evasive response.

That was a response to HawkMan's raid on the thread.

Sorry my bad, it's not 65%, it's about 61% now: http://marketshare.hitslink.com/operating-system-market-share.aspx?qprid=10

Yes, I have XP installed on my computer and use it, occasionally. Am I doing something wrong by still using that OS?

I thought you didn't need windows and linux did everything you needed better than windows.

I congratulate you on finding the stats with the highest XP marketshare around though, since most stats are lower than that.

I thought you didn't need windows and linux did everything you needed better than windows.

I congratulate you on finding the stats with the highest XP marketshare around though, since most stats are lower than that.

Indeed Linux does everything I need, and does it just the way I want, it just works couldn't be happier. I'm only using Windows occasionally, to test something (a new software release, or something of the kind).

It's a stat from hitslink.com , a very well known source for stats. If those numbers are less valid than the ones from others sources, well... I'm there with you in thinking these types of stats are far from the real numbers.

Porting this to XP is like trying to take a racehorse to the Kentucky Derby years past its prime and expecting it to win the race. It is too old and weak to be relavent anymore. It was good in its day (to some).

Indeed. Microsoft will soon drop support for XP and it's pointless to add new features now.

and even if

games still relay at other windows components

xp marketshare is somewhere between 60%-53%

http://www.netmarket...e.aspx?qprid=10

http://gs.statcounter.com

and oh yea soon enough it would be crime to use xp in public :p lool

You know, this might be a great boon for users of older games. Wine can run some older Windows programs better than Windows can.

Older? It's DX11, used by recent games.

Linux is amazing... wait.

I use XP, maybe I should go and check myself into a mental hospital just to be on the safe side? Ass.

61% of Humanity is on the same boat, all nuts. :laugh: