DX11 Coming To Linux (But Not XP)

XP does NOT have 60% market share. It has only 48% market share, which is going down at the speed of light.

Wikipedia as a source for OS market share, not that good of a source. Most statistics point XP to be around 60%.

I always thought light was faster than that :unsure:...hopefully sound won't let me down like light just did

LOL

Wikipedia as a source for OS market share, not that good of a source. Most statistics point XP to be around 60%.

LOL

You do realize that Wiki article uses 8 (eight) different sources for it*s median value. of those EIGHT, ONE has XP at 60%.

so no. most stats do NO point xp at around 60%

Wikipedia as a source for OS market share, not that good of a source. Most statistics point XP to be around 60%

Yeh because Net Applications, which doesn't account for every website, is a better source? Wikipedia uses 8 different sources, including net applications, and takes an average.

Even then, the statistic isn't completely reliable. But to say "most statistics point XP to be around 60%" is wrong.

I suppose Microsoft should just start charging for every update they do considering that people want to hold onto an OS for nearly a decade and expect every new tidbit to come their way. If they just supported XP for life with free upgrade that business model would have bankrupted them years ago. Upgrade to 7 and quit the QQ.

As for DX getting open source I cant wait as I would rather use nix in embedded applications that use 3D anyway for the lower overhead.

The difference between 60 and 48% in this context is nothing significant and doesn't really change anything with this subject. Either way it's got close to 1/2 the market.

XP is still one of/the most used OS, you'd think that people would be used to that.

It doesn't really matter that it's 9 years old. What matters more is when the OS after that came out, which was Vista in 2006. Putting it that way between the newer OS and XP it's still only 4 years people. And people didn't want to move onto Vista...

Only NetApplications put XP on a marketshare of 60%. Most other sources give 41-46%. That's because NetApplications puts too much weight on pirated Chinese users of whom about 87% use XP and 50% use IE6.

It doesn't really matter that it's 9 years old. What matters more is when the OS after that came out, which was Vista in 2006. Putting it that way between the newer OS and XP it's still only 4 years people. And people didn't want to move onto Vista...

People didn't want to move to Vista because of the ridiculous amount of FUD surrounding it, not because XP was some amazing OS.

Say what you want about Vista, but without it you wouldn't have 7.

The difference between 60 and 48% in this context is nothing significant and doesn't really change anything with this subject. Either way it's got close to 1/2 the market.

XP is still one of/the most used OS, you'd think that people would be used to that.

and it's losing 1-2% every month, so in a week, it'll be 46%, in 5 weeks it'll be 44, 9 weeks, 44%....

that doesn't take into consideration possible and probably adoption acceleration as more and more computers get old. and more and more companies are no starting to make the switch. XP isn't going to be around for very much longer.

Also you touch on another topic there, but didn't realize you're lookgin at it the wrong way.

XP took 9 years to get it's marketshare. 7 crushed the sales numbers of XP.

Given that Windows 7 can run on computers with surprisingly low specifications, and that a computer capable of running 7 would be dirt cheap these days, over the coming year 7 should start eating rapidly into XP's marketshare.

The simple fact of the matter is this though:

If people choose to run Linux, they shouldn't expect Microsoft to cater to them. You can ballache all you like about how evil Microsoft are, but DX is their platform, and Linux users have no right to expect it to be ported, so if you want to use DX get a copy of Windows, otherwise stop crying about it.

And for XP users... Again, you are using an OS that is 9 years old, and you cannot expect Microsoft to support it forever. So stop ballaching about how all the new features are not being ported, and upgrade, or just continue to use XP and suck it up.

how long we would have to wait to get native DirectX 10/11 games :/

A very, very, very long time seeing as phoronix was totally wrong (big surprise) and dx11 is NOT coming to linux. this thread title is ridiculously misleading.

A very, very, very long time seeing as phoronix was totally wrong (big surprise) and dx11 is NOT coming to linux. this thread title is ridiculously misleading.

my bad :s

i meant for windows not *nix

It isn't a translation layer so it will still require vendors to port their applications over and recompile them for Linux rather than simply a straight running of Windows code on Linux. It is a good start but such translation layers are hardly new given that Mainsoft has made a business off such technologies for over a decade (Internet Explorer for UNIX being a show piece of what the technology can do).

Say what you want about Vista, but without it you wouldn't have 7.

I never once bashed Vista, now did I?

I never said XP was better than Vista and 7, now did I?

I'm just being neutral and saying that XP is still the most widely used OS.

I never once bashed Vista, now did I?

I never said XP was better than Vista and 7, now did I?

I'm just being neutral and saying that XP is still the most widely used OS.

I never implied it was you saying that ;) Was just saying.