DX11 Coming To Linux (But Not XP)

eh, i have xp on my macbook. Put it on a 30gb partition, the OS has a footprint of less then 1gb and it lets me run windows game and run troubleshooting software when i'm working on other peoples machines. Works great.

And i'm not expecting any new out of it, which would be ridiculous at this point. But it does have its uses still.

Well, there's another nail in XP's coffin. Let it go, folks. Empty out that piggy bank and upgrade. There's no excuse anymore.

There's no excuse to upgrade either. :p

Guysa. XP is dead. Give it up.

If you want to run it, feel free, but nothing new is coming your way.

*pokes it* still seems alive to me :whistle:

Direct X 12 comes to Windows 7 (eventually).

i get the feeling it won't.

and that it require WDDM2.0

or microsoft gonna release SP2 for 7 and include the backport

sorry vista no backport for you! , cause by the time windows 8 is out(late 2012) vista passed it mainsteam support(early 2012)/and already two release away

In other breaking news, DirectX 11 not coming to Windows Me, 98, 95 or 3.11, as well as Mac OS 8, IBM OS/2 or MS DOS 6.22.

Edit: Damn you Pharos! :D

If people choose to run Linux, they shouldn't expect Microsoft to cater to them. You can ballache all you like about how evil Microsoft are, but DX is their platform, and Linux users have no right to expect it to be ported, so if you want to use DX get a copy of Windows, otherwise stop crying about it.

Do people actually expect that?

I don't get it, why is XP dead for the average user? So many people seem to state it but give no reason. Im an XP user with a lot of experience and qualifications in computing. I don't use my PC for gaming, I don't visit dodgy sites and I can read what is on my Taskbar without needing to see a graphical representation of it.

Win 7 is stable and robust but for me so is XP, Win 7 offers no more functionality when it comes to storage or cataloguing of files and folders, its pretty but then I just like to access a folder without a big fade in.

What am I missing that makes me seem so stupid when it comes to keeping XP? Im not being funny here, I wouldn't genuinely like to know what gets you all going so much?

What am I missing that makes me seem so stupid when it comes to keeping XP? Im not being funny here, I wouldn't genuinely like to know what gets you all going so much?

I've been wondering the same thing... Some people who have "upgraded" thinks that clearly the rest of the world needs to.

Win 7 is stable and robust but for me so is XP, Win 7 offers no more functionality when it comes to storage or cataloguing of files and folders, its pretty but then I just like to access a folder without a big fade in.

Err... yes it does, quite significantly so....

XP doesn't properly support SATA drives out of the box, you either have to make the BIOS emulate an IDE drive, or get 3rd party drivers.

It doesn't support WiFi either without patches (SP2), people forget just how old XP is and just how far computers have come since then (It doesn't make the best use of multi-core CPUs either)

not really, install windows desktop search and the indexing and cataloging will work fine in XP. It's the same tech.

XP doesn't properly support SATA drives out of the box, you either have to make the BIOS emulate an IDE drive, or get 3rd party drivers.

It doesn't support WiFi either without patches (SP2), people forget just how old XP is and just how far computers have come since then (It doesn't make the best use of multi-core CPUs either)

yes it does, it just doens't support raid, big difference. I've installed XP hundreds of times with different configs with SATA drivers with a normal SP2 cd a ridiculous amount of times. And big deal it doesn't support Wifi out of the box, where and why would you install XP with anything less then SP2 nowadays? You can't even buy it without at least SP2 nowadays.

Cool, so what does it do? Will it make dating and storage of my files more accurate? Again I don't mean it funny, if it will then Im on board but from the beta version i used it seemed to do pretty much the same file storage.

SP3 is pretty much standard if your using XP, I have Sata drives and have no problem at all.

not really, install windows desktop search and the indexing and cataloging will work fine in XP. It's the same tech.

No it is not it may give similar functionality but it works vastly far more supior on windows 7 as it is intergrated at the core and heart of windows 7 and is again more robust .

and some information for anyone

Windows 7 is more secure then XP is on the on its greatest day windows 7 is far more robust under the hood to understand and make better use of resources on your system be it GPU CPU or RAM or I/O workings . Windows 7 provides far better multi-threading performance better multi-tasking experience ( even on older single core chips) Windows 7 can do everything XP can do but faster better optimized at the same job you name it Hell my mom uses windows 7 and loves it over XP and she is on a 1900+ athlon chip with 1.5gb of ram and She dont GAME .

My mom always had to call me on this or that on windows XP and how to do this or that and it was annoying so 2 weeks or less after i did a fresh install of XP with SP3 ( she uses XP long time before SP3) for her witch she called me some more and complained i installed windows 7 for her and she has yet to call me on anything windows related on how to do this or that or fix any issues. ( tho she did call me on Facebook) he he

No it is not it may give similar functionality but it works vastly far more supior on windows 7 as it is intergrated at the core and heart of windows 7 and is again more robust .

it is the same tech, it's just not built into the OS itself. That fact means it'll obviously work better in Wondows 7/Vista, but it's still the exact same tech.

Windows 7 is the greatest OS in the history of computing.

Yet the network icon in the tray still won't operate correctly when I have a bridged connection...

Plenty of other little things that annoy me.

Yet the network icon in the tray still won't operate correctly when I have a bridged connection...

Plenty of other little things that annoy me.

You can't scroll in an app that you aren't currently viewing. Like any background task such as word you can't hover over it and scroll while browsing a web page. How something like this isn't built into the OS already just baffles me, especially with snap, it's basic functionality that would compliment snap sooo nicely.

to those who are sticking with XP and wonder why people are trying to convince them to upgrade:

You are fighting a losing war. There is no chance that XP will remain in the world of computing in any meaningful way going forward. More and more software will not work with it no matter how much you wish it wasn't so. XP had a better run than it should have had due to FUD surrounding Vista. If you want to hold out then by all means hold out. Keep this in mind though; microsoft will not push back it's support time table again. And most importantly, web browsers will increasing no longer support XP. Corporations, right now, are waiting for windows 7 sp1 for their change over. When this happens i suspect you will see windows xp market share drop in half.

to those who are sticking with XP and wonder why people are trying to convince them to upgrade:

You are fighting a losing war. There is no chance that XP will remain in the world of computing in any meaningful way going forward. More and more software will not work with it no matter how much you wish it wasn't so. XP had a better run than it should have had due to FUD surrounding Vista. If you want to hold out then by all means hold out. Keep this in mind though; microsoft will not push back it's support time table again. And most importantly, web browsers will increasing no longer support XP. Corporations, right now, are waiting for windows 7 sp1 for their change over. When this happens i suspect you will see windows xp market share drop in half.

to those who on are windows 7 and can't lay off people who are still on XP

get over it.

I have a copy of 64-bit Win 7 around here, but can't bring myself to upgrade this machine. My graphics card wouldn't support DX11 anyway (8800 GTS 640MB), and if 8 is coming out in a year or so, why would most XP users just not wait it out?

BTW, I installed 7 on my laptop a couple months back, and outside of "oooooh shiny", color me underwhelmed.

Anyone who prefers xp over windows 7 is purposely finding reasons not to like it.

It's nearly impossible to reasonably say that xp is better.

No there not, people who are using XP have specific reasons to use XP or just don't see the point of upgrading because it doesn't really suit there needs or budget at the moment. No one is really arguing that XP is better then 7.

No there not, people who are using XP have specific reasons to use XP or just don't see the point of upgrading because it doesn't really suit there needs or budget at the moment.

Ok, that is fine, but then why do they **** and moan because they are being left out in the cold? Why do they constantly expect to be catered to by Microsoft?