Neowin Digital Gallery

Welcome to the Neowin photo gallery! Here you can post your pictures and discuss your photography techniques.

Please be mindful of our members on dial-up and try to keep the dimensions of the pics and the size of the files to a respectable size for 1024 x 768 viewers. Please refrain from quoting images in your replies.

I will also ask that you link to images on your own space, as much as possible.

Try to put more details from your camera settings and also talk about what you have done with photoshop.

There are a lot of photographers here that like your editing skills and would like to learn more.

The previous thread can be found here.

Thanks!

Some recent shots:

CEDES 2

5041968122_2aebfd92ac_z.jpg

View of the CEDES building at Tecnol?gico de Monterrey (a.k.a. ITESM) Monterrey, M?xico

Camera Make: SONY

Camera Model: DSLR-A200

Lens: 18-50mm F2.8-4.5

Mode: Manual

Focal Length: 18 mm

Aperture: f/5.6

Exposure Time: 0.001 sec (1/1600)

ISO: 200

Campus Monterrey y Cerro de la Silla

5037736916_f18d110c9f_z.jpg

View of part of Tecnol?gico de Monterrey's Monterrey campus as well as the emblematic "Cerro de la Silla" from the Fiesta Inn hotel located next to the campus. Monterrey, M?xico. Unfortunately there is some flare in the photo...

Focal Length: 18 mm

Exposure Time: 0.001 sec (1/1250)

A (not so) Simple Bench

5034243139_975eca7999_z.jpg

A bench inside the "Grand 2411" conference rooms attached to Fiesta Inn Tecnol?gico. Monterrey, M?xico.

Focal Length: 22 mm

Exposure Time: 0.01 sec (1/100)

5040384350_1b333f4ec0_z.jpg

So my Nikon EN-EL3e has 1557 shots on it, with 2% remaining, over a 3+ week period. Not bad, huh? All photos taken with the 70-200mm f2.8 VR .VR was on for about 25% of the shots , image preview off, AF-C 100% of the time and limited chimping.

5036821397_db16c65c13_z.jpg

5037439712_a77b0f8338_z.jpg

lol....

I would personally love to see some photos from a Nikon D5000 with a stock lens and no photoshop...As well as a Canon Rebel T1i.

Argote - Was there any PS work done to those pics? They look very nice. I was playing around with my sister n laws A230 and could only dream of having images as nice as yours. Granted, I didn't even know how to change the aperture on it haha. It was my first experience with a DSLR.

Stock lens? kinda hard, but richard sim did post some a while ago ( I think), as did I... As for Argote P & S, he usually doesn't, as far as I can tell, BUTT, that bench shot does have a sorta HDRish feel to it along the plants the look like plastic.

@crazzy woa, it does give you a good idea on how much the battery can last, however, I personally avoid any of my electronic devices powered by Li-on or Li-Polymer batteries to drain less than 75%.

@crazzy woa, it does give you a good idea on how much the battery can last, however, I personally avoid any of my electronic devices powered by Li-on or Li-Polymer batteries to drain less than 75%.

rofl no offense but I feel that's unnecessary and a bit stupid, especially with DSLR batteries.

Usually I get ~750-1000 photos out of a battery. Only using 25% of the battery is 188 photos @ 750 total photos per charge. That's not even ONE SPORTS game for me. I can do 1000 shots a day easily, especially on days like today where I have 3 games to cover. @ 1000 shots per day, and only 188 photos per battery, I'd need 6 batteries.

Now, go here: Nikon D90 over 1500 shots on 1 battery

See how it says "Battery Age?" It's yet to move down on a battery that's 2 years old always being drained to 100%. And @ 2 years old it still gets over 1500 photos out of it. The battery is just as healthy as the day I bought it, 2 years ago.

You should probably reevaluate your battery use methods. Recharging at only 75% seems rather extreme.

(For the record, I typically don't drain other batteries to 0% [cell phone/laptop/etc])

I would personally love to see some photos from a Nikon D5000 with a stock lens and no photoshop...As well as a Canon Rebel T1i.

Argote - Was there any PS work done to those pics? They look very nice. I was playing around with my sister n laws A230 and could only dream of having images as nice as yours. Granted, I didn't even know how to change the aperture on it haha. It was my first experience with a DSLR.

I usually do Post Processing (PP) with Lightroom since I shoot RAW all the time and the files do look rather bland without it (JPEGs do look nicer but I haven't shot JPEG in a while). I usually adjust the contrast curve and sometimes the white balance (if I feel it looks better with a colder or warmer WB). I might also add some luminance noise reduction especially if I shoot over ISO 800.

The A230's stock lens (the 18-55/3.5-5.6) is said to be really good compared to other stock lenses (though I haven't tried it myself). I used to have the 18-70/3.5-5.6 which is not as sharp (and was the stock lens with older Alphas). I changed it for my current Sigma 18-50/2.8-4.5 which is said to be equivalent to the Sony 18-55 in Image Quality but it does not extend or rotate while either focusing or zooming and has HSM (No full time manual focus though) plus it looks a lot cooler with the petal hood.

As for Argote P & S, he usually doesn't, as far as I can tell, BUTT, that bench shot does have a sorta HDRish feel to it along the plants the look like plastic.

As I've mentioned I usually do some PP but I don't like it when it's too apparent. I've upped the contrast for the bench shot, maybe that's what is making the plant look plasticky.

rofl no offense but I feel that's unnecessary and a bit stupid, especially with DSLR batteries.

You should probably reevaluate your battery use methods. Recharging at only 75% seems rather extreme.

(For the record, I typically don't drain other batteries to 0% [cell phone/laptop/etc])

I agree with that, I usually recharge it at about 20% or so... For my cell phone, every night unless I don't get home that night or I fall asleep.

I run DSLR batteries and the rechargable NIMHs for my 580EXII right into the ground. I mean, if I know I have something important coming up I'll charge them fully beforehand, and I usually have at least one fully charged spare, but I run batteries till they empty. No problems here with wear or reduced charge capacity.

Well it is officially Fall around here. Went for a short hike the other day with some friends and took a few photos. Here's a few. Also, I'm posting under a new username(used to be "qwexor", now sask).

5045457809_d6ff5a577a_z.jpg

5046082126_37965be7a9_z.jpg

5046081172_c826901a80_z.jpg

I guess I should post a few specs too:

Nikon D40

55-200mm AF-S VR

A few edits in Lightroom

Here are a few from yesterday as well as some bridal ones from my cousin's wedding that I shot of her (my photography is my wedding present :p).

All pics have exif embedded.

_MG_3258And12more_HDR-2.jpg

A semi flooded room at West Park Asylum, Epsom, UK.

_MG_3175_6_7_HDR.jpg

An old electric typewriter lays lonely.

_MG_3361-3388_PAN.jpg

One of the wards that we had to enter through the collapsed floorboards via service tunnels.

_MG_3138-Edit.jpg

The floor in question!

And on to the bridal ones. These were shot using the Canon 50mm 1.8, lighting via Canon 430EX and Bowens studio lights triggered via Bowens Pulsar wireless transmitters:

bridal_3_by_mrk-d2z30nc.jpgIMG_2658.jpg

I use Lightroom for all my processing, I don't have a set preset for any particular effect, each image is unique in that the same process doesn't look right on another image most of the time so further tweaks are needed. Panoramics are stitched in Panorama Factory and HDR (the flooded room) is blended in Photomatix.

Thanks for looking!

Usually I get ~750-1000 photos out of a battery. Only using 25% of the battery is 188 photos @ 750 total photos per charge. That's not even ONE SPORTS game for me. I can do 1000 shots a day easily, especially on days like today where I have 3 games to cover. @ 1000 shots per day, and only 188 photos per battery, I'd need 6 batteries.

Now, go here: Nikon D90 over 1500 shots on 1 battery

See how it says "Battery Age?" It's yet to move down on a battery that's 2 years old always being drained to 100%. And @ 2 years old it still gets over 1500 photos out of it. The battery is just as healthy as the day I bought it, 2 years ago.

Not offended at all. Like I said, I try to avoid...It's not like I carry my charger and plug it in at every socket, but say I take a couple of snapshots here and there and it drains down to %65 then IF ive got a couple hours to spare, i'd rather charge it :)

Something I shot today:

Reny 1

5049205095_52b1e7dd8e_z.jpg

My friend Renata De Anda (or Reny, as she prefers). Monterrey, M?xico.

Lens: 70-210mm F3.5-4.5

Focal Length: 70 mm

Aperture: f/3.5

Exposure Time: 0.001 sec (1/1600)

More to come...

Here are a few from yesterday as well as some bridal ones from my cousin's wedding that I shot of her (my photography is my wedding present :p).

All pics have exif embedded.

<snipped>

I use Lightroom for all my processing, I don't have a set preset for any particular effect, each image is unique in that the same process doesn't look right on another image most of the time so further tweaks are needed. Panoramics are stitched in Panorama Factory and HDR (the flooded room) is blended in Photomatix.

Thanks for looking!

Wow, those hospital ward photos have a fantastic atmosphere, B&W/Sepia really brings the best out of those kinds of photos. Nice Job!

Not offended at all. Like I said, I try to avoid...It's not like I carry my charger and plug it in at every socket, but say I take a couple of snapshots here and there and it drains down to %65 then IF ive got a couple hours to spare, i'd rather charge it :)

ah. That's what I do with everything BUT my camera batteries. haha. Could be cuz I have 3 and I'm not worried about being out in the field with no power.

crazy u shooting golf!? :p

Yea; it's godly boring.

Also new to the list is cross country and football :p

Oh, and I like that batch of photos you posted. Getting a little tired of seeing you dine at expensive restaurants :p

@shozilla I recommend making sure something other than just the sky is in the frame to try to help in the photo's composition.

Reny 2

5052823926_61b5e8e7e3_z.jpg

My friend Renata De Anda (or Reny, as she prefers). Monterrey, M?xico.

Lens: 70-210mm F3.5-4.5

Focal Length: 110 mm

Aperture: f/4.0

Exposure Time: 0.002 sec (1/640)

2 HDR pictures of my road trip to the states back in June. Finnaly got the time to process them :rolleyes:

Bodie State Park - United States - California

5030127975_cb982363bb_z.jpg

Bodie State Park - United States - California

5030128499_78b7f886db_z.jpg